Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
BFD

Default Sport Coupe Interior seat Material

1929 Sport Coupe I Inherited from my Dad The Front seat needs to be re Upholstered. I can't match up the Materials for a replacement from the Sample sent from Classtique Upholstery .I will try to add a picture The current seat look original Any help would be appreciated The samples for the top Material looks closer to the seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6B7609A8-F2EF-48C4-96FC-FB25A555D2F5.jpg (53.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 3EABB238-7CFC-42D6-B41C-AA3B31CC84A3.jpg (130.8 KB, 54 views)
BFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Sport Coupe Interior seat Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
1929 Sport Coupe I Inherited from my Dad The Front seat needs to be re Upholstered. I can't match up the Materials for a replacement from the Sample sent from Classtique Upholstery .I will try to add a picture The current seat look original Any help would be appreciated The samples for the top Material looks closer to the seat
Unfortunately your seat does not have the original material any longer, and your Dad's S/C was not reupholstered in the correct materials. Look for Brown Check and the Brown Wool cloth materials that Classtique manufacturers for the hobbyist and you will find the correct scheme.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:53 PM   #3
rotorwrench

1928 was the heyday for the Sport Coupe. By 1929, the car was slowing in sales largely due to its purchase price. The two most common seat materials were the brown hairline stripe and the brown check that was previously mentioned. The cushion & back were no longer pleated like the 1928. It was a plain cover with only one seam about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the cushion running across from one side to the other. The lower surrounding seam was below the front seat wire rim by about an inch which leaves puckers in the two front corners. The seat back was conventional for the most part.

The kits made by what was LeBaron Bonney were pretty close to the original. I've not seen Classtique's offerings. I know they offer plain and pleated but plain would be more correct for a 1929 car. I just don't know how accurate it is.

When looking at so called "restored" cars, most don't have authentic materials. Folks either have to scour the world for closest possible materials or they have to settle for what is available. The old whipcord top material hasn't been available for 50 years or more. Few folks use a vinyl type top since the original colors aren't offered anywhere so most settle for Haartz Stayfast tops. The Cinch fasteners for the rear curtain are hard to source now days. Most folks substitute materials one way or another.

This link has good photos of an original 1929 Sport Coupe.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=sport+coupe

It looks to be bonnie grey and chelsea blue with the dark brown seal grain artificial leather top. The outline of some of little spring steel formers can be seen on the sides of the top in one photo and it appears to be all original. The pin stripe is the straw color. You don't see them like this much anymore.

Another thing I should add is that Ford also used a plain brown seat material that isn't always mentioned in information about the 1929 Sport Coupe. Volume 5 of the MAFCA Restorer series lists it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-09-2023 at 07:23 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #4
BFD

Thank you for the help and information
BFD is offline   Reply With Quote