Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
Grover 29A

Default 29 Pickup for sale

I am new to the forum and looking for opinions. I have a chance at a 29 pickup and was looking for opinions on value. The owner has had it since the early 80’s, drove it sparingly and has kept it has he bought it and always stored inside. This is how he bought it as a driving complete truck. Has been sitting idle for 3 years now and wants to sell. See pictures and post your thoughts. He is asking $7K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE90BF52-EC1A-41CA-AB34-67FDFB4CC892.jpg (66.8 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 12648EF1-E066-43B4-A753-12B87A203496.jpg (46.0 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg C9895432-6768-43DE-9808-5C61630FED03.jpg (59.8 KB, 344 views)
Grover 29A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:09 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: 29 Pickup for sale

Have you sat in one? The ‘28/29 pickups have some of the tightest cabins.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:23 PM   #3
mass A man

First crank the engine over, in neutral, see if it's stuck. Crank should be under the seat. Looks like it "may" need a head gasket, but no big deal. Most stuck motors can be freed up OK if done right, might be a way to get some wiggle room on the price. Hopefully you're under 5'9". Seat not adjustable on the truck. My '31 is tight but I'm comfy in it OK.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:19 PM   #4
stickshift

Previous posts are correct about being cramped inside. The truck looks original from what I can see, and in good shape. Engine is rusty but can be cleaned up. Hoses should be replaced with original type and probably the lower radiator pipe as well. If the engine is not seized, It looks like a bargain to me. If it runs, even better.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:08 AM   #5
Grover 29A

Im 5'7" so that shouldnt be a problem. I was told the engine is not stuck, but has not tried to start it the last 3 years. Not sure if i should try to start or just make sure it turns over. The owner is a trusted friend so i dont question his info when last ran. I plan to verify the gas tank is not rusty. Would it be a good idea to do a compression check? Check for spark? The truck is about 1.5 hours from home so not sure how much i should try to do. Appreciate the comments!
Old 03-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #6
holdover

I have a 29 CCPU and really enjoy it. Cab is tight as others have said but with your size it should not be a problem. If you know the owner and trust him you should be good to go. Has he offered to help you get it started? A bit of new wire harness and some detailing of the engine compartment will make a big difference, and 7 K is a very fair price
if it is sound.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
Jim M

Sounds like a good deal to me. I bought my 29 roadster that had sat in a barn in WV for 40 years for $8500 about 20 years ago. The guy was a dairy farmer and did not have the time to drive it but didn't want to sell it because it was a wedding present from his wife's father. Fast forward and my uncle knew the farmer's father and somehow got in a discussion about the old Model A and if it was for sale. That was the opening the farmer was waiting for and the rest is history. i bought it, took the oil pan off and cleaned it and put it back on with a new gasket, put new points, plugs, and battery in it and be darned if it didn't start right up. Been driving it for over 20 years and still runs like a champ.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #8
the cooch

Swoop it quick, or tell me where it’s at! Just kidding, but closed cab pickups are usually in wayyyyy worse shape than that one. The price is great even if it needs major mechanical work. I guess a closer inspection could reveal poorly done repairs in the past, but it sure looks clean from the pics.
Best to sit in there though and decide if you mind the poor visibility around you. I’m not cramped in mine but it definitely takes an extra measure of observation if I’m in any traffic at all. I suppose the interior is kinda sparse, compared to other closed cars, so it’s probably a little hotter and louder than a coupe or sedan, but if you’re used to pickup trucks, it’s just a fact, not a problem. In my opinion the CCPU’s are the best looking model A, but I think you’d have to really like them to drive one regularly.
Get a battery, drain the tank, shoot some carb cleaner through it, add some fresh gas, etc. (let us know if you need a more thorough list) and see if you can get it started where it’s at. Drive it around a little bit to see how you feel in there. It will sell easily if you don’t want it so don’t stress over helping your buddy, especially if you guys get it running. Of course, if you don’t like it later I bet someone would buy it from you for the same or more once it’s just cleaned up.
Mine was a total barnyard pile so it’s still rough, but it gets even more attention than the roadster when they’re out…-Chris, in Boulder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C33D93D-FFEB-4300-BCA5-4BB95862412E.jpg (54.7 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by the cooch; 03-20-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spell check!
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #9
WHN

With the limited pictures!

I would still buy it for $7,000.00. I don’t see how you could not make out.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #10
abachman3

I, too, would say that you should buy it. It will be a great first start at owning a model A Ford. There are always things that can be tweaked to make it improved, but if it runs and stops, it will be tons of fun!
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #11
mhsprecher

I will agree with everyone else and vote to buy that one. If the engine isn't stuck and the gas tank is not rusty or full of crap, it looks vrey good.

I almost bought a 29 CCPU when I got out of college almost 50 years ago. I am 6'2" and I never sat in it. I guess it's good I didn't buy it, given how cramped it would have been. The owner was an old guy who used it as his daily driver and decided not to sell at the last minute. Maybe I dodged a bullet on that one.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #12
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I will agree with everyone else and vote to buy that one. If the engine isn't stuck and the gas tank is not rusty or full of crap, it looks vrey good.

I almost bought a 29 CCPU when I got out of college almost 50 years ago. I am 6'2" and I never sat in it. I guess it's good I didn't buy it, given how cramped it would have been. The owner was an old guy who used it as his daily driver and decided not to sell at the last minute. Maybe I dodged a bullet on that one.
I’m 6’1” and I don’t find my 28 CCPU any tighter than my 29 Business Coupe.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:40 PM   #13
Grover 29A

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cooch View Post
Swoop it quick, or tell me where it’s at! Just kidding, but closed cab pickups are usually in wayyyyy worse shape than that one. The price is great even if it needs major mechanical work. I guess a closer inspection could reveal poorly done repairs in the past, but it sure looks clean from the pics.
Best to sit in there though and decide if you mind the poor visibility around you. I’m not cramped in mine but it definitely takes an extra measure of observation if I’m in any traffic at all. I suppose the interior is kinda sparse, compared to other closed cars, so it’s probably a little hotter and louder than a coupe or sedan, but if you’re used to pickup trucks, it’s just a fact, not a problem. In my opinion the CCPU’s are the best looking model A, but I think you’d have to really like them to drive one regularly.
Get a battery, drain the tank, shoot some carb cleaner through it, add some fresh gas, etc. (let us know if you need a more thorough list) and see if you can get it started where it’s at. Drive it around a little bit to see how you feel in there. It will sell easily if you don’t want it so don’t stress over helping your buddy, especially if you guys get it running. Of course, if you don’t like it later I bet someone would buy it from you for the same or more once it’s just cleaned up.
Mine was a total barnyard pile so it’s still rough, but it gets even more attention than the roadster when they’re out…-Chris, in Boulder

Chris, those both look really cool! Brad
Old 03-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #14
ronn

at 7k make an offer and buy it.

you have nothing to lose at that price. just lots of fun!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
Grover 29A

Looks like next Monday will be the day to take a ride and check it out. My biggest concern would be engine health. I'd like to do a compression check, what is a good range of psi on this type of engine? Having to replace some wiring or hoses is of no real concern for me, and the body is in pretty good shape with only some minor surface rust. My plan for this would be to just fix up what's needed and maybe some cosmetic work. No restoration, just drive and enjoy.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:14 AM   #16
ronn

when a guy tells me he wants to do a compression check at 7k

I dont even bother to call him back. You are going to talk yourself out of fun here......

and never buy a thing. just my opinion.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:24 AM   #17
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
when a guy tells me he wants to do a compression check at 7k

I dont even bother to call him back. You are going to talk yourself out of fun here......

and never buy a thing. just my opinion.

For $7,000.00, you don’t need to check anything more. I would just put it on the trailer and drive away.

What more do you want for that kind of money.

RONN is right on here.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover 29A View Post
My biggest concern would be engine health. I'd like to do a compression check, what is a good range of psi on this type of engine?
50-60 psi. The important thing would be that the are all relatively the same.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #19
Grover 29A

As you can see, my inexperience with the Model A is driving my questions. I'm just thinking about things i can check out to determine if my $7K hobby could turn into a $15K hobby. I love the comments and opinions!
Old 03-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #20
jwmckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover 29A View Post
I'm just thinking about things i can check out to determine if my $7K hobby could turn into a $15K hobby.
Nothing wrong with that. Doing your homework is a good thing.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote