Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #21
markivpedalpusher

Default Re: Vintage plate vendors in the U.S.

When I purchased my truck a few months ago I used AAA and it worked great. I realize you're situation is different tho makes me glad I was able to have my plates transferred easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3770.jpg (24.7 KB, 11 views)
markivpedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Stokes

Just put your nice original plates back on your truck and carry the new ones issued you in the cab. If you are pulled over which is very unlikely-pull out your new plates-if a cop pulls you over it is just to have a good look at you wonderful truck-if you have to be inspected -put on the new plates 😁
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
Just put your nice original plates back on your truck and carry the new ones issued you in the cab. If you are pulled over which is very unlikely-pull out your new plates-if a cop pulls you over it is just to have a good look at you wonderful truck-if you have to be inspected -put on the new plates ��
Not a good solution. if you get stopped by an officer who is not into old cars you can get a costly ticket. The plates can be confiscated as evidence and you will not get them back. Taking a day off work to go to court and then being fined is can be very expensive.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #24
banjoQ

Well, all the feedback I got over this thread kind of boosted my spirits some. Drove over the hill and went to see the guy who had the pristine 36' plates I mentioned. Sadly, they were gone. He had all kinds of plates dating back to 22', but the 36's were sold. Just goes to prove, the time to buy is when you see it. Oh well, back to the search.
Still no answer to original question, are there any other plate vendors in the U.S.? I did a bit of a search on the web and could only find the guy here in Calif. I understand the further East you go the less likely to find Calif. plates. But that still leaves a lot of territory.
Stokes idea, although amusing and a little smart a** is risky out here in Calif. Nowadays policemen have little sense of humor about carrying out the letter of the law. Could have been a joke thirty years ago, but not now. Zero, I mean zero tolerance now. Thanks all-Q
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
Stokes

BanjoQ-Sorry bring a junior member did not mean to be a smart a**. This is what some of us do in Texas to keep the car original and have been pulled over with no issue as long as we can show the proper issued antique plate-Guess our State and Locals are more antique car friendly��
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #26
Bill S

I have 50 plates on a 50 Ford. No problem. Took them to the DMV the check them to make sure that they are not plastic and are cleared. Been on the car for a long time.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #27
TStiles

ePay - look for "1936 vehicle plates california"
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Every swap meet I have been to has a number of people selling plates. They normally have boxes and boxes of them to dig through.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #29
banjoQ

Stokes- I did not mean that you were being smart, just the idea of running old plates with no tags. Even with good ones under the seat. Sorry for the misunderstanding. California gov. seems to no humor left. No worries, I will turn some up eventually.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just checked ebay, there are (14) 1936 California plates on the first page! What's the turn some up eventually?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #31
4dy

I sell yom California plates. The problem with the dmv besides being ignorant of their own laws is they are inconsistent. They rule one way then a week later another. Getting past the clerk in the local office is only half the battle. Often the clowns in Sato don't know their own rules. I have seen passenger plates registered to trucks as late as 1951 series but you can't count on it.
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #32
banjoQ

JSeery- I am not a big fan of using ebay,and that is my problem. I have also seen those listings. I meant that I will eventually stumble on to a pair that suit me. I do go to antique swaps and see boxes of them for sale. Takes a few minutes to thumb through the stacks. The hunt is a big part of the fun. I get a chance to travel and make it a part of my trip to look for the things that interest me. Some trips leave me with the feeling I need a bigger truck. Just returned from Az. and saw quite a few of them there, just not from 36'. I just thought I might find other vendors and make a side trip.
4dy- I agree,CADMV has its problems. Most offices I have been to are a chaotic cluster from the time the door opens in the morning till closing. As bad as it is for me, it has to worse for the poor folks that work there. At least I can walk out if I have had enough.-Q
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #33
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm sure you are aware, but I will bring it up just in case. There are a number of people that restore plates to new or better than new condition.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #34
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I'm sure you are aware, but I will bring it up just in case. There are a number of people that restore plates to new or better than new condition.
Just be sure your state will accept restored plates for YOM registration. A lot of people restore them after they have obtained the registration (which is probably not legal).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote