Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
GT66PONY

Default I am so overwhelmed !!!

I have A 1929 closed cab. It came with boxes of parts ! some new some parts that was taken off the truck. there are a lot of extra parts.
some I know what they are, Some I have no Idea. I am ready to put the body back on and have no idea what bolts , washers , spacers or shims to use. I have no idea weather it go's on top or bottom!! weather the bolts go up or down!!! I have tried to look at books and catalogs, But I think I bit off more then I could chew!!! I have built several cars ,But I took them apart!!! Or at least saw them together!!! any Ideas
GT66PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
rob63mess

Default Re: I am so overwhelmed !!!

You'll be OK....tackle one sections at a time....look at the supplier catalogs and try to match up parts.....mostly the guys on here are a great resource. Slow and steady.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
1crosscut

Sent you a p.m.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Russ/40

I can relate. I acquired my 29rpu 40 years ago as a basket case. Never saw it together, and have never owned another "A". I only started on it a couple years ago, and I'm about 3 months from finishing it. If I can do it you can, and you will. One step at a time. You need it to be fun to be worth while. Go slow, come back here to get knowledge and encouragement.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Idaho Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT66PONY View Post
I am ready to put the body back on and have no idea what bolts , washers , spacers or shims to use. I have no idea weather it go's on top or bottom!! weather the bolts go up or down!!! I have tried to look at books and catalogs, But I think I bit off more then I could chew!!!
I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you're at the FUN STAGE of your project. I think it was the Les Andrews' Volume One Book that had the diagrams of what body blocks go where with what size and type (carriage or hex head) of bolt to use in each hole. Just take it slow and easy. Once you're done with this stage you'll then realize how much you enjoyed it.
Idaho Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is another case for the purchase of the Restoration guidelines and judging standards book. In my opinion you guys are making it harder on yourself without this book when doing any restoration on your Model A.

There are several pages on the bolt locations and bolt sizes in section 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bodybolt.jpg (46.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Lay out your BOLTS/NUTS on a long 1 X 12 board, according to size, that helps a LOT! Better than DIGGING through boxes, etc!
Bill W.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Ed in Maine

You should contact Roy Nacewicz for your nut and bolt needs. He is very big in early v8 but also has a catalog for Model A. The best part is the fasteners are coated as original in black or cadimum and packaged in kits/plastic bags. Buy them by what you are working on such as installing the radiator. You get the correct size and the correct length. Good luck with your project. Don't let yourself get discouraged. Do something on the car every day. I had purchased a disassembled 1932 five window coupe and it took me 26 years to find all the missing parts and put it all back together! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote