Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: carb troubles on an 8BA

As I said compressed air ! I have done a lot of theses carbs over the years .Any one who doesn't run a filter is asking for trouble on these 100 year old tanks pipes ect .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
banjoQ

38V8-Ross- Ken- Thanks for the information and advice. I went out this am and decided things would go better with the carb on the bench. Five minutes, it was off. Removed the top of the carb and drained the float bowl. I could see a couple of particles and a small amount of grey silt. Removed grit with Q-tip and flushed with gas. Removed the two jets, one clear and one pretty well plugged. Used the broom straw as advised and washed all parts in solvent. Blow dry with canned air. Re-assemble and re-install. Fired right up and I let run for a few minutes. No leaks! Once warm, I began working the throttle linkage. Stumble is gone. Took it out for a drive and all is well. Thanks so much! I did spend some time last night with the MoTors manual, getting familiar with parts and that helped too. Now I am going to replace the hardline to carb with a flexible one with filter and drive it. You guys are great, if you ever need Banjo advice-pm me.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
ford38v8

Success stories are always welcome! Thanks for the update!
...And I'll take this opportunity to disagree with you regarding how cold Pacifica is. I'll take a guess here that Livermore (me) has weather more like what poeple think of as California weather, while Pacifica weather is windbreaker weather in its hottest day of summer! Am I right?
Still, I love Pacifica, you have a beautiful place to live, and a cool day in the summertime is an added pleasure!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #24
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoQ View Post
38V8-Ross- Ken- Thanks for the information and advice. I went out this am and decided things would go better with the carb on the bench. Five minutes, it was off. Removed the top of the carb and drained the float bowl. I could see a couple of particles and a small amount of grey silt. Removed grit with Q-tip and flushed with gas. Removed the two jets, one clear and one pretty well plugged. Used the broom straw as advised and washed all parts in solvent. Blow dry with canned air. Re-assemble and re-install. Fired right up and I let run for a few minutes. No leaks! Once warm, I began working the throttle linkage. Stumble is gone. Took it out for a drive and all is well. Thanks so much! I did spend some time last night with the MoTors manual, getting familiar with parts and that helped too. Now I am going to replace the hardline to carb with a flexible one with filter and drive it. You guys are great, if you ever need Banjo advice-pm me.
Geat to hear,a suggestion instead of cutting the line for an inline filter why not install a glass bowl pump which would be correct for the motor and install a paper filter in it ???? ken ct. I have the filter kits if you need one,contain new screen,2 good cork gaskets [1 is extra] the filter,and spring,$20 for the kit + $5.80 mailing/// Charlie,ny may also have the kits also if you prefer him !!. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoQ View Post
Is that a 4 string or a 5 string banjo? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
ken ct
BANNED

You still need a stock flex line from the main line at the fire wall to the pump inlet which cancles vibrations from the body to engine. Or you can use a piece of fuel injection hose in place of a stock flex line.Do not use regular rubber gas line. Use FI hose. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote