Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Dave D

Default Reproduction 21 Stud heads

How many of you barn'ers out there would have an interest in reproduction aluminum heads for the 21 stud motors ?

If they were an accurate copy of the original Ford parts made in aircraft grade aluminum, what would your acceptable price range be for a set?

Would your preference be for the flat top piston style (40-) or the domed piston heads (48-)?
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
columbiA

Default Re: Reproduction 21 Stud heads

Tn the V8 times some years ago, there was someone reproducing the 33-36 style heads in a modern alum alloy.Not sure if they were for flat top or dome top pistons.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Any reproductions would benefit from an increase in compression, something like 7.5 would add a little torque and take advantage of the 87 oct gas for better economy.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

They are already being reproduced in modern alloy aluminum and I believe in both dome and flat top versions. There is a company in California and also a company in either AU or NZ making exact reproduction copies of the originals. They are beautiful!! Your only marketing advantage may be to offer them at a price lower than their price.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Dave D

The company in California charges $1500 a set...when he has them, and the company in Australia will not make them with the Ford logo which pretty much defeats the purpose of producing them.

I have a set of the Kearney heads, and while the look is great I was a bit disappointed in the service. They sent me a pair of heads in an undersized box bearing some other logos with ZERO padding or wrapping of any kind. One of the heads had a huge divot in it. I sent the head back and they re-machined the surface at no charge but it should never have happened in the first place. For $1500 it should have come WELL packed.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Dave D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Any reproductions would benefit from an increase in compression, something like 7.5 would add a little torque and take advantage of the 87 oct gas for better economy.
If they were stock dimensions you could surface them down to any compression you liked.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
35fordtn

If done right and priced right I would take 3 sets right off the bat!! I need two sets bad and have been waiting on Kearney for a while now
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
35fordtn

Also if you offer one you might as well offer all the styles so any 1933-36 guy could get "show correct" heads. I personally need the 40 prefix heads with the larger spark plug openings. The benefit to Kearney is they can make any year you want large or small spark openings. All there heads are domed which makes no difference to me as I have domed heads on a flat piston motor that runs just fine
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Don Rogers

Dave,

I'm sure that there are 30 buyers out there, but do they all want the same head with the same markings? Please consider the following:

Will you need Ford Motor Co.licensingl for Ford scripted heads? $$$$$$$$

Will you be able to make one set of moulds and change the head markings as needed? (40-6049/50 with and without script....40-6049/50-A....40-6049/50-A1.......40-6049/50-A2...and 48-6049/50)

Will you go with the narrow spark plug valleys or the wide ones??

If you can deal with all these variations you should have a big enough market to justify the initial costs.

Regards,

Don Rogers
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
danliveshere

DAVE HERE IS A PIC OF THE AUSSIE MADE HEADS. THEY ARE STD 35 STYLE HEADS AND COMPRESSION, WITH NO MARKINGS OR SCRIPT.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
DICK SPADARO

The question is how many people would purchase but at what price they would purchase? Right now the base price for stock heads has been established $1500. The hot rod aluminum 24 stud heads are around $650.00 and $1000 for the hotrod 21stud version. If you use the factor that average weekly salary is say $750. That makes the $1500 heads 2 wks pay and out of reach of most people. Its not that it's a lot of money it means that they have to save for these expenditures and it makes sales very slow. So the best approach is, would you guys pay $xxxx for a set of heads. If you can get enough responses for positive feedback then explore the costs and time factor to production. If it can be completed in 3 months then request a small refundable deposit to actually lock in prospective purchasers. There are a lot of "I wanters" but they fly away if they have no obligation.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

Possibly some higher compression 37-38 style 21 stud heads would be nice. I am not sure anyone is reproducing those. I know block off plates are availiable or can easliy be made to use the 32-36 heads. Rod
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #13

I have a NOS pair of aluminum 37 style 21 stud heads.

Does this mean they are worth $1,500.00/pair ?

If not, then how much are they worth ?
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
35fordtn

37 Aluminum NOS heads are out there. I have had/sold 8 sets in the last year
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

I don't know what they are worth or even how good or bad mine are, so I can not say outright that I am in the market for any. However I am curious if they are for dome pistons or flat pistons? Rod
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #16
sturgis39

Maybe make some with the names like J C Whitney, Sears and Montgomery Ward.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
RoadsterA

The blokes that makes them here in OZ is Jim Kerr, he's a top bloke been makin them as long as i can remember! He did mention that he was slowin down the last time i spoke to him at a swap bout 6 months ago! If interested PM me and i can try to get contact details
RoadsterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
DavidG

Don't forget the other original form with no part numbers and no script used for much of the '33 model year.

Ford's engineering releases indicate that the script was not added until August, 1934, which suggests that all '33s and most '34s were originally equipped with script-less heads.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterA View Post
The blokes that makes them here in OZ is Jim Kerr, he's a top bloke been makin them as long as i can remember! He did mention that he was slowin down the last time i spoke to him at a swap bout 6 months ago! If interested PM me and i can try to get contact details
Do you know the cost in US $'s for a pair?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
David J

Good info here and also remember the 40- heads with pt# and no Ford script or suffix after the part # . I call those variation 2 or late 33 - early 34 . The ones with suffix and no script are variation 3 and the ones with script and suffix are variation 4 . Just my terminology but as you can see this gets messy and this only goes to mid 34 . Pretty sure Don Rogers touched on it here before but I also have always figured Ford got these from more than one source . On your question of marketability what ones would you copy ? There are enough variations of these to make that a significant decision . Add the fact they are fairly time specific and you have issues with choices and at $1,500 or whatever your market may be thin unless you have the exact variation needed . I would not be a buyer as I have all that I need but IF I was a buyer it would be for the early unmarked ones and the ones with the part # and no suffix or script second choice . No clue on 35-36 types as I don't go there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Don't forget the other original form with no part numbers and no script used for much of the '33 model year.

Ford's engineering releases indicate that the script was not added until August, 1934, which suggests that all '33s and most '34s were originally equipped with script-less heads.

Last edited by David J; 06-30-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: cleanup
David J is offline   Reply With Quote