Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
RoadsterA

Default Hershey Help from OZ

Hi all! Where headin over to Fall Hershey this year and would realy appricate any advice. Thanks from Down Under
RoadsterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
mfagan

Default Re: Hershey Help from OZ

Wear good shoes! Pray for good weather .
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
cushman man

You will love it.There are three large fields.Go slow and do one field a day,do not skip around take it roll by roll.Then take in the car coral lots of cars.The car show is on Saturday get there early and watch them drive in quite a show.Enjoy
cushman man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
richard crow

bring a list of what you need. bring plenty of u.s dollars as you will find every thing you need. put an add on ford barn or your car hoby mags. for some one coming from oz there are guys that have containers going back to oz if you hook up with one of them you could save on shipping make your hotel res now .if yoy don,t mind being a few miles away rooms are much cheaper in near buy towns. get to the parking lots early
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Pete/Ct.

Make hotel arrangements well in advance, probably now. Watch Barn just before Hershey to get list where we all are located. Have a ball. Nothing like it anywhere.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

You might want to start calling hotels in that area now. They usually fill up way before the meet. The rates are also very high during the meet.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
mfagan

Rent a space inside, take small items to sell,
This will give you inside parking, save lots of
walking and will get close to breaking even
with the cost of outside parking.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Getting a space is easier said than done. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
woodiewagon46

I have been to Hershey every year since 1968. Bring Raingear!!! It seems Hershey has a rain magnet located somewhere on the grounds. But if the weather is great you will love it. One event people miss is the race car reliability run. It's held in the old stadium and each race car makes three laps to qualify.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, One of my favorite things is to position myself near the exit of the show field on Saturday about 2pm (with a lawn chair). Cars will be leaving the show, running, smoking, doing that old car smell thing! After looking at them on the field (we will bring our car for the show) then you can see them running. Quite the sight! Many people do the same in the morning near the registration area.

If you have trouble walking five or ten miles, think about getting a mobility scooter, it can really extend the amount of ground you can cover. Like most stuff you want to get that arranged now.

The car corral, which is set up earlier in the week, is great fun. You see all kinds of cars with all kinds of owner expectations! It's at least a mile walk from end to end. Figure a few hours.

If you do get a hotel that's 20 miles away, figure about fifteen minutes of additional travel time because traffic starts to move more slowly as you get nearer to the meet.

I echo the comments on weather, it could be very cold and windy (gloves, hats, long-johns), raining, or boiling hot sunny day. Bring sunscreen.

Take lots of photos, extra batteries and memory cards if you think you'll need them.

[Shameless Self Promotion Follows] Come by Dennis Carpenter's tent to meet some of our V8 Club RG36 club members, and see the 8BA flathead we're raffling for the 2014 Eastern National in Gettysburg. Think about buying some tickets to win the engine. More info in this thread: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=2014 There's a document package in the original post, page 9 of that package describes the engine, and there's an amateurish video at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdTwtMXSUo4

Also tons of good info here, including maps.

http://www.aacamuseum.org/events/aac...meet-week.aspx

Just a few shots from '11 and '12.

Have fun, -VT/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC1299_zps7eec3352.jpg (70.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1300_zps6e383a7d.jpg (85.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0112_zps66853984.jpg (43.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1262_zpscbea5dbd.jpg (73.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1263_zps68e9d33f.jpg (57.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC1264_zps43cd4698.jpg (76.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

Having done Hershey for 20 years I decided to wear a pedometer to see how far I walked. Last time, I did 14 miles a day, for 4 days. So by all means wear comfortable shoes. I have been sunburned there and I have walked in snow. Check weather forecasts to see what clothes to bring. If you have a rental car it is a long walk back to your car. It is the BEST though and you will have fun.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
oldford2

We have a small trailer and hope to "dry camp" a few days in the camping field. Never done it before so need advice from folks that have brought their camper before. Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
RoadsterA

Thanks Everyone so much!!!!! It realy helps knowin some in's and outs prior rather than goin in blind! That race car thing sound good (Thanks Woodywag!). Hopefuly shouldnt need the mobilty scooter (unless i have a couple to many at night) and prob could benefit from shedin a pound or 3, so ill just run sone comfy foot falcons! But is it possible to hire a trolley/cart to cary parts? Hope to meet heaps of cool folks and talk flatheads! Thanks Matt
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
RoadsterA

Yeh forgot to mention, accomodation is booked (Mechanicsburg).
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
nelsb01

YES...........there are young enterpreters that will gladly take a few $$ to haul your items around or to your car.
There are also bus service between the fields and parking lots.
But others are right --- it will take about 13-15 miles to do a field justice. Also -- dress in layers --- so that you can shed when the sun gots warm. One year back in the late 1980's..........I came home with a better tan than I arrived with.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
woodiewagon46

Forgot to mention, the race car reliability run is usually held on Friday at 11:00 am. Oh and another thing be sure to purchase a program, it will list all the events, and maps of the grounds. Also right up the road from the flea market is the AACA Museum.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Since you don't know the area, you can use the websites of the motel chains to start in Hershey (probably already hopeless) and then work outward until you locate rooms. I think you have to inherit rooms in the closest places...
Agree, bring as much money as you can, several pairs of good shoes, etc. Find someone who has a booth who will let you dump your purchases while you march You will indeed find everything you ever wanted, a difficult situation to be in!
You will never actually see everything even if you cover all the turf, as some vendors come in the first days and then decamp, others arrive late...
As the show unravels on Saturday, even the trash picking can be spectacular!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

By the way, there is handicapped parking if you or someone with you is disabled, but you have to arrive early. For a couple of years whan my wife was in a wheelchair, I parked in the general lots way down the road and pushed her chair over a big muddy hill to get to the show...it looked like a scene from the Burma campaign, with people falling in the mud and complete strangers breaking their backs to help us over the worst holes. Then we finally found out there was a lot right there by the show for us...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
Straightpipes

Hi Roadster, If you track the Forbarn you will see a listing develop a few weeks prior to the meet showing names and locations of many folks on here. For instance, I am in the red field at RCL 28. You are welcome to stop by, rest a while or leave items for safekeeping. Most of the guys here will do the same.
When you first arrive buy a program which lists all vendors and the specialties.
If you've never been before you will be overwhelmed.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
RoadsterA

Thank to all for the input! It all helps emencly! We have started the count down only like 100 odd days to go! Im chompen at the bit! See ya all there! Where also doin Carlisle, what should be expected there or different animal all together?