Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: It’s getting harder to drive my A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I'm not that creaky yet, but I can tell you it's hard to drive for more than an hour in my Tudor. Something about the springs and positioning I just get achy/crampy from pressure or reduced blood flow or something. (6-2, original seat springs, seat set back 3 inches on custom mounts)
Swap those stock seats out for some Honda, ect small 21” wide buckets. It’s SOooo much more comfortable.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #22
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I'm not that creaky yet, but I can tell you it's hard to drive for more than an hour in my Tudor. Something about the springs and positioning I just get achy/crampy from pressure or reduced blood flow or something. (6-2, original seat springs, seat set back 3 inches on custom mounts)
I feel your pain regarding Tudor seats. Ditto with our 28 Tudor. The bride and i are just finishing reupholstering a S/W fordor for some summer driving. We padded those bench seats to be a soft and comfy as possible. I'm 73 and the wife is 69, so comfort is becoming more important as we age.
And yes, my big Harley is becoming too much to hang on to any more.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #23
Anteek29

At 79 I have a really tough time getting on and off my creeper anymore. Once on I generally roll under the vehicle and take a nap prior to finishing the task at hand.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #24
WHN

Last year got under our 29 and couldn’t get out. My wife was going to call the EMT’s.

After about 30 minutes, I was able to slide out. Never again.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #25
kbinde2

I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from joint replacement (L/Hip), and still going to PT sessions. If she (PT) had seen me lug the battery up from the basement and put it in the coupe she wouldn't have been happy.. I did have my cane in the garage.!
First shake-out run for 2021, nice weather in DE and couldn't wait. Getting in and out was a bit of a challenge also.. more exercises and ice I suppose.!

Glad I got out and did it anyway..! As Bob said.. "Don't let the old man in"..!

kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #26
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Wife and I took a picnic drive to the country today, about 40 miles RT. In my younger days this would have presented no adverse effects. Now, however, as I approach 76, those forty miles were seriously uncomfortable. We came home pooped! It gave credence to the old joke that the passengers in a Model A are the shock absorbers! I’ve got almost new Stipe shocks on the coupe, but Portland’s streets and byways are so neglected that driving them in a Model A is like riding in an out of balance washing machine. A Harley would be more comfortable!

I used to think nothing of a 120 mile tour, but now? Those days are over. This old age business ain’t for sissies! “Shake, rattle, and roll” doesn’t mean what it used to.
Hi Ray I know the feeling. After a bad fall I’m in a wheeled chair due to spine injuries. Basically I can’t walk. I have a large collection of fully restored antique cars, many very valuable. I also bought a rodeo arena to store my cars. I’ll be damned if I’m going to give up my pleasures in life. About 3 or 4 days a week I scramble into one of my cars and go for a short spin. Sometimes just in the arena. The secret is don’t give up! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #27
denis4x4

The neat thing about Model A hot rods is that you can put in any kind of seating. I had a built in lumbar support in the roadster and JEEP buckets in the CCPU. Same goes for shocks. Looking forward to the Speedster Reunion in June. At 80, I might bring down the average age of participants!
Old 03-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I feel your pain regarding Tudor seats. Ditto with our 28 Tudor. The bride and i are just finishing reupholstering a S/W fordor for some summer driving. We padded those bench seats to be a soft and comfy as possible. I'm 73 and the wife is 69, so comfort is becoming more important as we age.
One thing I can say about my Town Sedan, it does have overstuffed comfortable seats.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
Anteek29

Those seats look beautiful and PLUSH!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #30
Synchro909

At a bit the top side of 72, I do not consider myself old but I'm getting there. I can relate to all of the comments about idiot drivers, rough roads and joints that don't move like they used to. All that said, my wife and I are setting off again in June for another trip north in our A Tourer and camper. We will be one of 5 cars (the oldest driver is 78) and we are looking forward to it greatly. We will do about 8-9,000 miles.
The most miles we have done in a day is a bit north of 600. These days, I would break a day like that and bush camp for the night. Age and smarts will always triumph over youth and skill, they say but I'd take youth any day.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #31
oldman

I'm at 75,but still able to do stuff. My son-in-law who has an aftermarket car business (Auto Sunroofs & Leather) is helping me re-do the interior in our Tudor. Took apart the door parts & glass today to rebuild & insulate the doors. Rear compartment & quarters cleaned & insulated. Got to get her done by the nice weather! Hopefully the grand kids will get to visit. Going to try to teach my oldest grand daughter how to start & drive her (she's 15), I want 'Tinker' to go somewhere I know when I'm done with her. Oldman
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #32
Robert/Texas

I'm 86 and still drive both of my A's and both T's. The hardest one drive and to get in and out of is my March, 1928 open cab pickup. the people who drove these pickups must have had really short legs.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #33
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
One thing I can say about my Town Sedan, it does have overstuffed comfortable seats.

Really good looking. It looks like artwork.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I'm still able to drive my "A", but have a less and less desire to. The main road (Highway 50) here is being widened and is one big mess! Plus, the last half a dozen times I've taken the roadster out for a cruise around the neighborhood. It has quit on me for some obscure electrical problem or another. I have been able to limp home and I think I know what the problem is and maybe corrected it. But, with the crappy roads and lousy drivers I just do not have the desire to go out anymore. I'll be 70 next month and I have been toying with the idea of selling my last old car.

Bob-A
Bob I met a guy last fall that had moved BACK to NW Illinois, who had been living near Tampa for almost 20 years. I said 'why' did you move back HERE? Have you forgotten what the winters are like?

He said 'no', it's just that Florida keeps getting more and more crowded as each year goes by and I was sick of it. People keep moving in. Two main highways running north and south and they are always crammed with traffic. And the summers are awful. From March to October!

Ray when we had the '29 Tudor, the biggest trip I ever took was over to Geneseo and back about 80 miles round trip. When I was 18 years old. And it about killed me, back then. No way I could do that today nor would I want to anymore. But I still have the love of the cars. I just limit my trips today to no more than 8 miles from home tops And yes a Roadster is a snap getting in and out with the top down.......
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #35
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I'm 86 and still drive both of my A's and both T's. The hardest one drive and to get in and out of is my March, 1928 open cab pickup. the people who drove these pickups must have had really short legs.
I’m 6’3” and weigh 185#, and to get in and out of my ‘28 rpu i had to practicallly get horizonal across the seat. I sold that truck, and 25 yr’s later I bought a ‘30 closed cab pickup. I had to do the same thing with that.

People were smaller 90 years ago.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #36
Russ B

I am doing pretty good for almost 75. This last couple weeks, I have been slowly tearing down an A motor that has been unused since 1964. And I spent much of one day moving around a pretty big batch of Model A parts I am giving away to help clean up my garage space. It has been 3 years since i took a 500 mile trip by myself on the cabriolet. I am slowing down a lot but plan to keep going for as long as I can.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #37
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I’m 6’3” and weigh 185#, and to get in and out of my ‘28 rpu i had to practicallly get horizonal across the seat. I sold that truck, and 25 yr’s later I bought a ‘30 closed cab pickup. I had to do the same thing with that.

People were smaller 90 years ago.
I think you are right. I have my great-grandfather's top hat, and it is sooooo small it looks like a 12 year old today might be a bale to wear it. (he was born in the early 1890s)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
Gene F

The tudor sets are not nearly as comfy as the fourdor seats.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #39
Bill G

Ray, a small group of us did a 120 mile deal today and it can be a killer. Both my wife and I complain about the seats in the 29 Tudor. They're horrible! I am just coming on 70 and I can tell you that I really noticed that both my wife and I have slowed down in the last few years. Damn!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Those seats look beautiful and PLUSH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Really good looking. It looks like artwork.

Enjoy.
Thanks guys. It really is pretty comfy. The front seat is moved back 3" for more leg room in the front (I'm 6'2"). Still plenty on room in the back.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote