Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
russcc

Default Type of paint typically used in the 1960's

The '40 coupe was repainted over the original paint in what I am guessing was in the 1960's. I assume it is lacquer because it is crazed in some spots. What type of lacquer was used back in the 1960's. The reason I ask is I ran across some acrylic lacquer that I was thinking of using as a touch up in a roof area. Is the predecessor to Acrylic lacquer Nitrocellulose. We used 1929 Ford Maroon Nitrocellulose lacquer on the 29A roadster about 10 years ago because we wanted to appear original.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
FritzJr

Default Re: Type of paint typically used in the 1960's

You can verify that it is lacquer by using a bit of lacquer thinner to see if it softens the paint. The thinner will dissolve lacquer no matter how old. Acrylic lacquer came into use in the late '50's. I would assume that anything done in the '60's would likely be acrylic.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
russcc

Thank you. I will try a little lacquer thinner on it and see what happens. I am quite sure it is not enamel because I have seen this crazing on old lacquer paint before.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
blucar

About the most common type of paint used during the '50's/60's was Duco Dulux which I believe was a synthetic enamel.
The only time my '36 Ford coupe was repainted was in 1961. It was repainted black with Duco-Dulx, material and labor at the local Studebaker Garage was $60.. A princely sum compared to Earl Scribe $29.99.. Any car any color.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
About the most common type of paint used during the '50's/60's was Duco Dulux which I believe was a synthetic enamel.
The only time my '36 Ford coupe was repainted was in 1961. It was repainted black with Duco-Dulx, material and labor at the local Studebaker Garage was $60.. A princely sum compared to Earl Scribe $29.99.. Any car any color.
Duco was a lacquer and Dulux was an enamel, both made by Dupont.

I recall an Earl Schreib $29.99 paint job that I had done when making $1.85/hr. Not bad if you put some effort into the prep work and it still looked good after a few years in the weather.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote