Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Brad Hole

Default 1947 Wiper Motor

Well, finally getting the time and money to start back on the restoration of my '47 tow truck. Got to the shed to start it up this past weekend, and (re)discovered that the driver side wiper won't shut off.

The truck still has original vacuum wipers on both sides. Turning the switch on the dash doesn't seem to affect it at all, though the passenger side still works a it should. I don't necessarily plan on driving in the rain, but that doesn't mean I won't at some point, or have to use them for dew/rain while parked.

All that being said, would I be better off to try to remove the motor and find somewhere to rebuild it (which, uh... any ideas?) or should I try to find an electric conversion kit for both wipers? The truck is already 12v, so that shouldn't be too difficult - assuming there are any good kits out there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80th birthday (2).jpg (88.5 KB, 164 views)
Brad Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #2
TitusDH

Default Re: 1947 Wiper Motor

Hi Brad,

in my wiper motor the grease had solidified after a few decades not in use. It was completely frozen solid. I rebuilt it myself and used heavy weight silicone oil as a lubricant for the leather flapper. Do as I did or check out the "wiper man", Ficken wiper Service. They are the place to go in the US.
TitusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #3
petehoovie

[QUOTE=Brad Hole;1878033]Well, finally getting the time and money to
start back on the restoration of my '47 tow truck.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
GB SISSON

That is a beautiful truck you have there Brad! I have read good things about running some brake fluid through the vacuum wiper motor to get them working well again. Are you sure the little rod linkage hasn't fallen out on the pass side? I have been researching kits for electric conversion for my 47 tonner as it no longer has any vacuum. The good kit that many recommend is 419.00. Can't remember the name. Speedway has a universal kit for about 300.00 less. Maybe someone here has used a kit and will chime in. You aren't gonna paint that tow truck are you? Dang, it's a nice rig!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
51504bat

Great truck. I have a soft spot for big trucks especially tow trucks. I'm not a fan of vacuum wipers but ultimately its up to you about installing electrics. But as you mention you're already a 12 volt system so that won't be an issue if you decide to convert. Newport Engineering makes a kit: https://newportwipers.com/product/19...k/#wiper-motor . Not cheap but their stuff is top notch. I have a Newport 2 speed unit in my '54 Ranch Wagon and it works great. I still have a vacuum unit in my '39 p/u because Newport doesn't offer one (although Mighty Mite offers a single unit that is on my to do list).
Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
corvette8n

Great looking truck. I used Marvel Mystery oil to lube my wiper, injected it into the vacuum hose with a plastic syringe, that's whe I found a big red puddle under the dash on my floor mat. The vacuum line under the dash was all cracked, replaced it and know is good to go.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
Brad Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
You aren't gonna paint that tow truck are you?
Actually, funny you should mention it. The sheet metal is pretty rough all around rust-wise. In this photo I had already replaced a large section of the diamond plate on this side (you can juuuust make out the seam behind the compartment door) and repainted the rear of the truck. Lucky for me, I found a Rustoleum paint that matched almost perfectly (without looking at the can, I believe it was Regal Red).
However, the bottom of both fenders had rotted off at the steps, as well as a sizable portion around the front bumper. Through a lot of looking on eBay, I managed to find NOS fenders and grill, but now I have to try to paint them and match the colors.

So yes, I will be repainting it, BUT the only thing that will change is the phone number and the licensing number, replaced with a "Not For Hire" in matching lettering
Brad Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
paul2748

If you decide on electric wipers, Newport Engineering makes kits for retrofit. They have a very nice product, I have their kits on all three of my cars and they work very well.. They do have a switch that is compatible with the factory knob, but not sure it's available for your truck.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote