Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
larry harding

Default speedster gas tank

some time back i posted on here about a gas tank for my speedster project. i really want to use a "t" oval tank sitting up on edge, i like the look. i don't want to use a beer keg or other types of tank. someone suggested rootlieb, their website showed just what i want and their price seemed reasonable. i am ready to order and when i called today i was told they arent selling gastanks and don't know if or when they will have them again.(their builder isn't building anymore) i know another company has the tanks, but they are very expensive. i am considering fabricating a tank out of #20 steel. i can borrow one from a friend to use as a pattern. if some one can suggest another reasonable supplier or a source for the filler neck, outlet fittings etc. i'm open for ideas. i see "t" tanks on ebay but am leery of 100 year old gas tanks.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:23 PM   #2
Jim Huseby

Default Re: speedster gas tank

You might want to try this. See if Rootlieb still has the brass saddle-shaped speedster fuel tank filler with cap. If not, you can get a '29 Model A radiator neck and cap from Mikes or other A suppliers to install in what will become the top of the oval "T" tank. You can modify the cap into any configuration you can imagine. The oval "T" tank can be used on edge if you permanently seal the filler fitting and cap and seal off the fuel line threaded opening. This will hide pretty well when facing forward.
I have built a lot of speedsters, mostly A-based. Have a look at my website for ideas: www.olympicspeedsters.com.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
ronn

if you are headed to Hershey, I am sure there will be one or three there. I would wait the few months.............

I have mentioned that I found a speedster tank recently at a local flea. something I have been dreaming about for yrs. Though it is still a dream and may always be one, it is a fun chase for me. I also have a pair of reupholstered seats for the same build. Now onto the 40 plus hp chassis I am in search of...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:03 AM   #4
larry harding

thanks guys, i was really shocked that rootlieb is not making any more tanks. i am going to call them back and see it they still have the filler etc. i can tig a tank from 20 gage cr, or use galvanized sheet which can be soldered, but the cr sheet will paint better. oh well one step foreward and two back, some times i question my own sanity on these projects.
i think this is called fun?????
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #5
stevests

I might have a cast brass tank filler & cap.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote