Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
oldsman41

Default 51 merc od

hey guys need help here. 51 merc 3 spd w od wont shift to od. I can here the click of the solenoid but it wont go into overdrive any help would be greatly appreciated.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: 51 merc od

Does the transmission free-wheel when the OD handle is pushed in?

Are you sure the solenoid is clicking, or is it the relay on the firewall?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
oldsman41

yes it is the solenoid clicking I took it off the trans and tried it and the pin did engage so I think that part is good. it is hooked up straight to the solenoid not through relays that the way I bought the car and it worked fine until now.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The solenoid has internal switches that allow multiple function depending on the governor switch, rail switch, and kickdown switch positions. All of the functions can be tested if you have a knowledge of how the system works and a good wiring diagram. If you have a later type transmission, it may not have a rail switch since they were deleted after a few years into the Mercury line. The governor switch can give trouble too and not allow it to kick in when the rpm is up to speed.

The dash relay is an on/off function that relates to initial high current flow for the on function of the solenoid and allows the governor switch to only have a small amount of current down to it if I remember correctly. The ignition coil is also in the circuit to allow the ignition to be mommentarily cut durring kick down or it won't function like it should.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-06-2014 at 04:19 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
40cpe

Does the transmission free-wheel when the OD handle is pushed in? If it doesn't free wheel it is not going to go into overdrive.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Does the transmission free-wheel when the OD handle is pushed in? If it doesn't free wheel it is not going to go into overdrive.
This would be below the governor cut in speed, when the governor is up to speed (approx 25-30 mph) and the solenoid pin is all the way out of the solenoid or all the way in the transmission (powered up) dash handle in, the transmission should not freewheel, if working correctly.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
oldsman41

40cpe didn't think about trying to see if it coasts I will do that tomorrow if it is nice out. like I said it worked when I put it away for winter.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
yes it is the solenoid clicking I took it off the trans and tried it and the pin did engage so I think that part is good. it is hooked up straight to the solenoid not through relays that the way I bought the car and it worked fine until now.
Just to make it clearer, you said "it is hooked up straight to the solenoid not through relays that the way I bought the car and it worked fine until now"
What is hooked up straight to the solenoid? Do you know how is the overdrive wired?
Martin.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
40cpe

Quote:
40cpe didn't think about trying to see if it coasts I will do that tomorrow if it is nice out. like I said it worked when I put it away for winter.
If it was working before you put it up, it will most likely freewheel now. I'm leaning toward the solenoid not engaging or something in the pawl area being stuck. The solenoid pushes the pawl into the locking ring which engages the pinion and sun gear.

Is the car still 6v? The battery needs to be strong to work the solenoid to push the pawl. Just because the solenoid works out of the trans doesn't mean it is working when in place.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
This would be below the governor cut in speed, when the governor is up to speed (approx 25-30 mph) and the solenoid pin is all the way out of the solenoid or all the way in the transmission (powered up) dash handle in, the transmission should not freewheel, if working correctly.
Martin.
He said it isn't working. It should freewheel at any speed with the handle in.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
rotorwrench

You have to completely lock it out with the T-handle to prevent the function of the freewheeling clutch.

These systems can be hot wired with just a solenoid switch but there is a list of "don't do" things when it is. I prefer the full automatic function with all the proper parts wired in. I also like to have the safety features that prevent internal destruction of the transmission.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
joe 1950

be careful here I agree just because it works outside the trans doesn't tell the whole story its pulling power may be weak it takes a lot of pull when doing its job
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Is the car still 6v? The battery needs to be strong to work the solenoid to push the pawl. Just because the solenoid works out of the trans doesn't mean it is working when in place.
I agree. Anything less than 6 volts seems to cause solenoid engagement problems.

I chased an OD problem for a couple of years. At night my OD wouldn't engage. Turned out (after quite a bit of troubleshooting) to be a combination of my headlights drawing down power and my wiring for the solenoid power was gauged too thin.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
oldsman41

its 12volt but I will run through the checks you have discussed. this might take a while
Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
scooder

Working properly, handle out = no overdrive and no freewheel.
Handle in = overdrive above cut in speed (approx 28mph) and freewheel below cut in speed, NO freewheel above cut in speed.
It is a very popular misconception that these freewheel at all speeds in overdrive with the handle in.
If they do freewheel above cut in speed, something is wrong, or its been wired or switched differently than it should. Why you would not have it working without all its bits and bobs is beyond me. But some do.
Martin.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
oldsman41

well here is the deal it doesn't freewheel with the handle in,so give me the bad news thanks guys
Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Mike51Merc

Quote:
well here is the deal it doesn't freewheel with the handle in,so give me the bad news thanks guys
Check that the lever is actually moving the lever on the transmission.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
oldsman41

mike yeah did that already. thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
Drbrown

Attached is a wiring diagram for your 51 OD. It shows a "kick-down" switch on the accelerator pedal but many installations did not include them. Ford and many others copied the Borg-Warner OD designs. I have a Borg-Warner OD Trouble-Shooting and Repair Manual in *.pdf format but this site won't load it. Send me your email address by PM and I'll send you several manuals i.e rebuilding and operating OD's. Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1949-52 Merc OD Cont Dia.jpg (43.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Drbrown; 05-07-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #20
scooder

Could you tell us how yours is wired please, and if it has all its proper bits. Earlier you said that it didn't have relays, and is wired directly to the solenoid. What is wired directly to the solenoid? This info will help us understand what's up with your overdrive.
Thanks,
Martin.