Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
CHuDWah

Default Re: Trunk vs rumble seat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
Oh, no! I opted for the rumble seat and side mount because they were unique to the era. How could I have gone so wrong?

Well, yeah, you gotta have a rumble - there's no windows in a roadster for the dog to stick its head out!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
31Cabriolet68-C

[QUOTE=Tim Ayers;1593676]As an owner of a '28 roadster who has two boys (15 & 11), a rumble was the only option. I'm going to rig up a safety catch to keep the lid from coming forward.

We wanted a roadster, so this is the only option for us.[/QUOTE

Rumble Seat Safety Catch sounds like a truly great concept. I have a question, since this my
first post, I'm not sure exactly how Ford Barn works. Is it OK to ask to be notified/informed if/when Mr Ayers designs such a catch. What's the protocol? Thanks in advance for the (off topic?!?) tutorial.
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
pooch

Both of my roadsters have positively locking lids as I have lap/sash retractable belts fitted to top of lid.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #24
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
HoarseWhisperer,

Looks like you could be the "Dog Whisperer" too.

David Serrano
It is useful when teaching them to navigate. "Left! Left! NO! Your other LEFT!"

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #25
Anton Voycheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post

Want to hear my diatribe on side-mounts!!!!!

I am betting we agree on this
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #26
700rpm

[QUOTE=31Cabriolet68-C;1593790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
As an owner of a '28 roadster who has two boys (15 & 11), a rumble was the only option. I'm going to rig up a safety catch to keep the lid from coming forward.

We wanted a roadster, so this is the only option for us.[/QUOTE

Rumble Seat Safety Catch sounds like a truly great concept. I have a question, since this my
first post, I'm not sure exactly how Ford Barn works. Is it OK to ask to be notified/informed if/when Mr Ayers designs such a catch. What's the protocol? Thanks in advance for the (off topic?!?) tutorial.
You could send him a private message (PM). Click on his name and select View Public Profile.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #27
ronn

I received my March Hemmings yesterday and saw an article about 1928 - '29 Ford Roadsters. In the story they stated that price wise the "trunk equipped cars hold a slight advantage over those with rumble seats." My car is a town sedan so the point is lost on me, but I always thought the rumble seat was a plus.
Marty

Marty,
I wouldnt put a lot of weight on the opinions of the editors of Hemmings............

rumble seats sell cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every newbie thinks they are cool and I would bet, add a heck of a lot more value then a trunk. Guys wanting trunks are the seasoned types on the Barn here. They are practical.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
russcochiolo

The grandkids love a parade! We do 3 or 4 each year. Big & Little kids are entrigued by the rumble seat at car shows and community events. The rumble seat attracts a lot of interest. I have met some really fine folks requiring a photo as price of admission to the rumble seat. I have seat belts in the rumble seat but have never gone very far with passengers back there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 134.jpg (69.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (55.4 KB, 76 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #29
HoarseWhisperer

rumble seats sell cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every newbie thinks they are cool and I would bet, add a heck of a lot more value then a trunk. Guys wanting trunks are the seasoned types on the Barn here. They are practical.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for that. We are not worthy, we are not seasoned.

On behalf of all rumble seat owners, I guess we should be sufficiently insulted.

1928 CCPU 82-A
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

"Jack Scott sing “What In The World’s Come Over You’ and “Burning Bridges”

Mike, thanks for mentioning Jack Scott. I really like his singing, and now I need to see if he's on U Tube. Lots of great music came out of the 50's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #31
Bikerider58

Ok, a newbie, and yes I think the rumble is cool. Don’t know anything about value differences, and do not see need for trunk but holding on to fold down luggage trunk deck.

How hard is it to remove the seat cushions if room for a suit case or two is needed?
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #32
Russ B

Heresy I know, but I converted my Cabriolet's rumble seat to a trunk. Just more useful.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #33
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
When I first tried to climb into my rumble seat, I realized that the last time I’d been in a rumble seat was in 1957. It wasn’t in an A, but was in a ’33 Plymouth roadster. That day, I had my first beer while riding along with my cousins on a beautiful, hot sunny day on the Southern Oregon coast. I was 13 and 1/2 years old.

My older cousin Roy had installed a radio, and I heard Jack Scott sing “What In The World’s Come Over You’ and “Buring Bridges” for the first time. That beer tasted good for the first two ice-cold swallows, then warmed up and tasted what I thought pee must taste like. I was never much of a beer drinker after that.

Believe it or not, but I had my first A back then. It was a 1931 coupe with a trunk. I remember back then wondering where people with rumble seats carried their tools. The idea of trying to lift a heavy tool box up out of a rumble seat was beyond me even back then when I was young and full of it. Also, the idea of having an open car without windows totally turned me off. Hey, it rained a lot in Portland, Oregon, and even back then I hated the feeling of damp upholstery. Even worse was the feel of that bakelite steering wheel. I remember my hands turning black when driving after I’d left the driver’s window down in a rainstorm. After that, I bought my first leather steering wheel cover. After several tries, I was able to get that stitching correct, and wow did that black cover ever look good. It made the steering wheel bigger and easier to grab. I’ve put leather covers on almost every steering wheel of every car I’ve had since then.

I’ve got to thank you guys again for stirring up wonderful memories.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. That first beer was Olympia and had four stars on the inside of the label. That meant that I was going to get “Some.” What a joke!
I grew up 30 miles from Olympia, we all called it monkey piss. Rainer was the beer, unless someone smuggled in some coors ( it was illegal in Washington)
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:39 AM   #34
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider58 View Post
Ok, a newbie, and yes I think the rumble is cool. Don’t know anything about value differences, and do not see need for trunk but holding on to fold down luggage trunk deck.

How hard is it to remove the seat cushions if room for a suit case or two is needed?

Funny that, I can fit a lot more in my rumble than I could in a trunk.

I have carried 6 ft lengths of timber in it.

And as you say, remove the cushions and it is the same size as a trunk even with lid closed.

The well seasoned or ole farts group here are just too old to enjoy a rumble .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 AM   #35
klawockvet

I wouldn't have anything but a rumble seat in my roadster. Way more practical.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
CB919ER

My Coupe has a rumble seat and I have way to many found memories riding in it as a child to convert it to a trunk, but to each his own. Luckily my girlfriend and I travel pretty light so there is plenty of room in the floor of the rumble seat for out bags if we use it to travel.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #37
wingski

Wow, what wonderful pictures. I just realized that there is something that only a rumble seat can do. That is to let your dog see everything, and for everybody to see your dog. The bigger the dog the better. One of my best buddies is a St. Bernard named Romeo. I can just imagine Romeo in the back of my cabriolet. The back of my car would probably be a little bit lower because Romeo is a pretty big boy.

If I had a real picture, not photo-shop, of Romeo in the back of my car, it would be priceless. I know I would have to build a ramp on wheels like they used to use for air-planes, but, by god, it would be worth it. The sound of that enormous WOOF as we drove by some pretty young thing would be worth all the tea in China.

Like I’ve said before, you guys cause a lot of neat memories to resurface. In this case, you’ve caused one to form.

Mike

P.S. It took a while for the four stars on the back of an Oly label to pay off. However, when they did, they did in spades. Thank god for my love and obsession with model A’s. If it hadn’t been for those cars taking up most of my spare time, I would have got in trouble BIG TIME with the law and with the ladies. I can remember pretty girls coming over to the house to visit me. I would talk and try to be polite, but some project on my A was more important than a sweet body in a poodle skirt. Most would finally leave, but some came back, and back, and back.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. “Model A’s saved my butt more times than you can imagine.” Thank god my hormones were channeled towards the A’s.” I don’t even want to think about what would have happened if they hadn’t been.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #38
HoarseWhisperer

wingski, you might consider a Model A Pickup for Romeo.

1928 CCPU 82-A
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

I knew a guy that had a piece of carpet fastened to his hood on his Dodge Power Wagon wrecker, and he let his German Shepard ride on the hood when he drove 1/2 mile to town and back.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I wish I had put a trunk instead of a rumble seat in my '29 roadster. I never let anybody ride in there anyway.
YO' JBill,
With a regular trunk, I've seen Folks plop a cushion on the seat riser & ride the trunk, in a Parade!
The LID makes a GOOD SHADE!---I could "doll" this up with Funny Faces, but they still don't work for me????---And, YES, I know how to work them, been doing this for 11 YEARS, so there!
Bill Greatfun