Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default Door welting

Need to replace the welting around the door frame & doors. This is the round stuff. I was told they don't reproduce it.
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Door welting

Examples of the original can be found in the book "The Ford Model A as Henry Built It" and likely a few other places. There have been reproductions of the worsted wool fabric strips that form the wind lace and it was wrapped around a thin rubber hose material very similar to OEM but I don't have any idea where a person could have the material made. The modern reproduction stuff is OK but it's not authentic to the original designs.

There are a few good threads on here that have wind lace information if a person wants to perform a search. This is a good one.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...indlace&page=2
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Depends on how Fine Pointy you want to get. There are some pretty close facsimiles out there. I would suggest calling Classtique or your local Upholstery supply store. I was an auto trimmer for a long time and went to one of my suppliers three years ago. I was able to get real close although the sponge rubber was way too damn big. I had to remove the foam core and went with surgical tubing. The average "Joe" has no clue.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
Standing Elk

Lefty, I faced the same issue you are. I could not find a source to buy the "wind Lace" for around the doors on my 30 coupe.
I finally went to a local lady who reupholsters nearly everything. We looked through her material samples and found a very good match color wise to my seat and door panels. I then got some poster board to go in the tail that tucks behind the various panels. I folded the material around some 3/8" nylon rope and had sewed it so as to form the bead. I then used spray adhesive to bond the poster board to the tail. It was then just a matter of removing the necessary panels and slipping the tail under the panel and reattaching. I did use a little spray adhesive on the tail that went under the panels to help hold everything in place. It was really pretty easy and looks as it should. Hope this helps.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

The welting around the doors is called "wind lace." Its purpose is to prevent drafts. Typically wind lace is a reproduction upholstery kit item. Call Mike at Classtique about your need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Windlace Gap @ Passenger's Door 210kb.jpg (70.6 KB, 38 views)