Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
no6

Default Newbie from Pa

I jumped over from the HAMB and joined for Ford Info. I am building a chopped model A coupe for my wife and I have a chopped 34 Ford for me. This looks like a good place for Ford info.
no6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Newbie from Pa

no6, welcome to the Ford Barn! What or where is South Mountain, PA located near geographically? Tell us more about your cars than the years and that they are chopped.... like what engine they have, transmission, rear, suspension, steering, interior, etc., etc., etc.???
In my case, I have been on Ford Barn for about ten years now and just this week joined the H.A.M.B. although I have not yet made my required introduction or made my first post yet. I'm really looking forward to learning from the 'hamber's' and joining the 'Alliance'. I may also need to brush up on my old 'NAVY' language

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-10-2012 at 08:58 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
jan bogert

welcome no 6. J B 35 there's a south mountain near me in allentown,pa. 20 miles from N.J.line. hope thats were he is so i have someone close with the same interests. CARS. LOL

Last edited by jan bogert; 02-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Mart

Hello No6 and welcome to the Barn.

Mart (long time hamber)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

welcome...got flatheads??....lol....and pics???....welcome to the 'Barn....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Retro Jim

Welcome to The Ford Barn from Abbottstown , Pa . Just about 35 mins from you .
South Mountain is just north of Gettysburg and very close to Biglersville . That is the Apple county of Pa ! They also have the Apple Harvest Festival there as well .
There is also a good 1/8 th mile drag track there as well . It's been there for a very long time too !
Are you coming to the Jalopy Showdown this May ? Maybe I will meet you there .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
no6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Jim View Post
Welcome to The Ford Barn from Abbottstown , Pa . Just about 35 mins from you .
South Mountain is just north of Gettysburg and very close to Biglersville . That is the Apple county of Pa ! They also have the Apple Harvest Festival there as well .
There is also a good 1/8 th mile drag track there as well . It's been there for a very long time too !
Are you coming to the Jalopy Showdown this May ? Maybe I will meet you there .

Jim
I hope to have the model A done for the showdown, if not I will still be there.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Retro Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
no6, welcome to the Ford Barn! What or where is South Mountain, PA located near geographically? Tell us more about your cars than the years and that they are chopped.... like what engine they have, transmission, rear, suspension, steering, interior, etc., etc., etc.???
In my case, I have been on Ford Barn for about ten years now and just this week joined the H.A.M.B. although I have not yet made my required introduction or made my first post yet. I'm really looking forward to learning from the 'hamber's' and joining the 'Alliance'. I may also need to brush up on my old 'NAVY' language

John ,
I have been on the HAMB for many years myself . They are far from as laid back as this forum is I can promise you that . They follow the rules very closely over there too . You need to have a thick skin over there sometimes .
It's really good to do a search first before asking some common questions . I have found more help that way instead of making a post . There are so many posts there a day that someone's post can get shuffled 10 pages back before you know it sometimes !
Depending on what you have , there are some really great groups to join where you get more help than the main forum .
As for the Alliance , you don't have to join if you don't want to . You will get discounts from the Alliance Vendors usually 10% . If you are building a car from scratch then I highly suggest joining the Alliance for the money you will save . Still a great deal for $50 a year if you consider all the help and things you can find in the searches for help with your build .
See you there !
Jim
RetroJim-- HAMB
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
no6

Quote:
I bought the 30 A to restore but it was pretty bad so I decided to make a highboy out of it(no offence) 32 rails, 51 Merc with some speed goodies, T5 tranny for top end and a 9" for decent brakes. this one I m building for my wife. Cowl steering, 38 Ford dash and a cut down 37 Ford truck grill.The 34 Ford I just traded a 59 Vette for it sans motor and trans. It has a QC, cowl steering, leather interior, and plans are for a 392 hemi. When I was about 19 I worked for a restoration shop in Chambersburg Pa in the late 70s,then went on my own way with all kinds of cars over the years. I am most fond of the nostalgic hot rods but I love to talk old cars, just the other day I had a cool conversation with a fellow that I know that has a Packard WWI truck. anyway thats the short of it. Watch out for those guys on the HAMB, they can be mercfuless but a lot of good info.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Hey no6 and Retro Jim, I'll be heading up to Latimore Valley for the Jalopy Showdown again this year. This will be the 4th show for me. It's always a fun show. I usually find a few things at the swap meet as well. Maybe we can get together so I can meet you two and get to see your cars. I'll be driving my black '35 fordor sedan since the avatar coupe is not going to be ready to go by May. Maybe by May '13 . Look for this one......

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
36 ford

Howdy, No.6,

I live down the mountain over in Chambersburg. Welcome to the ford barn !
John (JM 35 sedan) is a great help here and I had the pleasure of meeting him with my brother ( Tudor40 ) who lives not far from Allentown, @ hershey last year.

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
no6

Quote:
Hey no6 and Retro Jim, I'll be heading up to Latimore Valley for the Jalopy Showdown again this year. This will be the 4th show for me. It's always a fun show. I usually find a few things at the swap meet as well. Maybe we can get together so I can meet you two and get to see your cars. I'll be driving my black '35 fordor sedan since the avatar coupe is not going to be ready to go by May. Maybe by May '13 . Look for this one......

I won't miss it unless it rains, be glad to look you up and Retro Jim, I have seen him post on the HAMB, he is only about 20 miles fro me. I have gotten some good deals there. The cars are cool but I have seen some downright dangerous.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
no6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 ford View Post
Howdy, No.6,

I live down the mountain over in Chambersburg. Welcome to the ford barn !
John (JM 35 sedan) is a great help here and I had the pleasure of meeting him with my brother ( Tudor40 ) who lives not far from Allentown, @ hershey last year.

Phil
Phil: spent 3 days at Hershey last year, we always set up at Carlisle, I let my Spring lots go and I will save my $$$ from now on for Hershey. Last year you could not have asked for better weather. If you ever get to South Muntain stop in at the "Fickle Pickle" and tell my wife to call me, I will come right over to meet you, I'm only 1/2 mile up the road, I'll show you around the garage. Ed
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
HOTRODSURFER

welcome from good ole Hatboro,Pa
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
31chevy

Welcome NO6 post pictures we all like pic's.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
no6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Welcome NO6 post pictures we all like pic's.
Gary.
The A frame is painted and I am reliefing the block now, hope to have it to the machine shop this week and get the body painted by late next week. The 34 came without motor and trans, I have located a 392 hemi for it but I don't want a blower. The A I restored and sold. Some of you that went to Latimore Valley may remember my Chevy (I know, I know) it's sold. This is my first flathead and it is definately a learning curve for me. How well do those on here accept the nostalgic crowd?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user1643_pic126423_1257907772.jpg (32.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.jpg (67.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (72.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.jpg (76.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.jpg (64.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1275.jpg (68.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg July 30 11 #1.jpg (64.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0851.jpg (123.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
no6

The Chevy didn't take the first time. Spike that runs around at the Jalopy Showdown shot it for R&C. Last you will hear about Chevys from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0965.jpg (80.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 34 # 6.jpg (101.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Banky

What happened to No's 1-5?

Banky from North of Pittsburgh. This is a great page for help!!!
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
joe plumber

Welcome aboard
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
no6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banky View Post
What happened to No's 1-5?

Banky from North of Pittsburgh. This is a great page for help!!!
When I signed up for ebay I needed a login name and I looked at the key board and saw the no"6", thats how.