Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default The 1930 Deluxe Tudor Sedan...

According to the Assembly Type Records for 1930, there were only 364 Deluxe Tudor Sedans that were assembled at The Rouge in Dearborn. and 71 in Canada.

Over the years since, I think many 1930 Standard Tudors have been converted to a Deluxe.

That being the case...How can one tell an original assembled 1930 Deluxe Tudor from one that was a 1930 Standard Tudor and converted to a 1930 Deluxe Tudor Sedan?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
TerryH

Default Re: The 1930 Deluxe Tudor Sedan...

I am guessing that not all of the ones converted were done 100% correct....I would think it was common to add the cowl lights, but many other features might have not been done. Not sure if the garnish rails were different, like they were in the Town Sedans. That and the armrests, wood graining, and pinstriping......If one did it totally correct might be difficult to tell.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Interesting question,reckon Ford didn't value recording which ones were deluxe,they just met the dealers desire for one..which raises a question,with your extensive research into assembly plants.with all due and earned respect can you answer how detailed was the record keeping for what was produced by the branch? in the end,from the little I know, the branch is where the rubber met the road,where the cash changed hands.Meeting demand,it would seem,was paramount.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #4
DannL

Interesting this subject has come up. I've had my Model A since July. The previous owner (for 15 years) told me numerous times that it was a Deluxe version. I really didn't think about it much. Then the thought came to me again today . . . What makes it a Deluxe model? Mine has Cowl lights and etched Wind Wings. It also has the flying buzzard radiator cap with thermometer, headlight shades, chrome horn, running board step plates, front bumper flag holder (3 flags) and radiator guard. Other than that I think it's perty normal. Having read previous threads regarding the 1930 Model A Deluxes, and this one supposedly came of the line in January 1930, it surely is not a Deluxe.

Last edited by DannL; 09-29-2019 at 11:09 AM.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Tudortomnz

One of the harder items to add to a std. Tudor would be the sliding adjustable drivers seat of the true Deluxe Tudor. The other item which is not an easy add on is the centre dome lamp . Other items could have been added or lost over the years . These Tudors called Deluxe in 1930 may well not have had all the appointments of the mid 1931 Deluxe Tudor. Ford made a special announcement of the Deluxe Tudor highlighting all the features in mid 1931.
In Canada, the Deluxe Tudor in 1930 appears not to have all items, nor in 1931. In '31, Ford Canada was using up & adding extras to Tudors, Coupes & Town Sedans, eg. twin rear lamps; twin sidemounts;metal tyre covers; cowl lamps; & even Quail & stone guards are mentioned. The Canadian Deluxe Tudor did not appear to have the adjustable seat & dome lamp may have been different type. I have seen two '31 Deluxe Canadian Tudors & they were slightly different but one was restored & may have not been quite 100% correct. They did not have the adjust. seat.
33 Deluxe Tudors were exported by Canada in 1930. [ Sorry if this sounds like a lecture ; Ford Canada production is my passion'] Cheers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

MMM I was under the impression there were NO Deluxe models in 1930. For what it's worth, our April 30 Tudor was deluxed at some point in it's life. When I reupholstered it last year I found nothing to indicate a dome light was ever in the car. Was the wood top assembly the same for both Standard and Deluxe?
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
Interesting this subject has come up. I've had my Model A since July. The previous owner (for 15 years) told me numerous times that it was a Deluxe version. I really didn't think about it much. Then the thought came to me again today . . . What makes it a Deluxe model? Mine has Cowl lights and etched Wind Wings. It also has the flying buzzard radiator cap with thermometer, headlight shades, chrome horn, running board step plates, front bumper flag holder (3 flags) and radiator guard. Other than that I think it's perty normal. Having read previous threads regarding the 1930 Model A Deluxes, and this one supposedly came of the line in January 1930, it surely is not a Deluxe.

With the exception of cowl lights, none of the things you mention were standard equipment on Tudors, De Luxe or otherwise. The lights were standard on De Luxe, optional on Standard. The flying "buzzard" actually is a quail, meant to symbolize the quick acceleration of the Model A - if you've ever flushed a covey, you'll understand. The quail was an authorized, extra cost accessory but it didn't have a thermometer - that's an "enhanced" reproduction. The horn was painted black, not chromed. I believe the other things you listed are all non-Ford aftermarket accessories. Here is a description of the 31 De Luxe Tudor:

https://www.mafca.com/data_deluxe_tudors.html
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
MMM I was under the impression there were NO Deluxe models in 1930. For what it's worth, our April 30 Tudor was deluxed at some point in it's life. When I reupholstered it last year I found nothing to indicate a dome light was ever in the car. Was the wood top assembly the same for both Standard and Deluxe?

My impression is there not only weren't any 30 De Luxe Tudors, there weren't any early-31 either - they were all late-31 indented firewall.

As for the wood top assembly, the De Luxe has a wood block between two of the bows to support the dome light. AFAIK, that is the only difference.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
Dick Steinkamp

Steve,
This appears to be the announcement of the Deluxe Tudor...June of 1931...

Could it be there was another definition of "Deluxe" earlier?
Old 09-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
My impression is there not only weren't any 30 De Luxe Tudors, there weren't any early-31 either - they were all late-31 indented firewall.

As for the wood top assembly, the De Luxe has a wood block between two of the bows to support the dome light. AFAIK, that is the only difference.
Yup. When I did the headline there was no block.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Bob Bidonde

I find it interesting that the Deluxe Tudor has the same front seats as the 400A. The 400A seats are upholstered in leather. Were the Deluxe Tudor seats done in leather, or is the letter referring to the seat structures only. The 400A driver's seat is the ratchet adjusting type.

If it is the structure of the seats that are common, then they are common to the ratchet type seats in the 180A and 190A also.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Interior was Mohair.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
31Cabriolet68-C

Just wondering...

What actually are the options listed on line four:

"Toggle Grips"?

Thanks,
JB
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
Just wondering...

What actually are the options listed on line four:

"Toggle Grips"?

Thanks,
JB
I believe they are the hanging hand assist straps at door/body pillar.
Regarding front seats, the adjusting seat is described as "the new quick adjustment mechanism, easily regulated even when occupied". They were mohair, not leather, unless Ford US had a leather trim option for Deluxe cars like Canada. Cheers
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
Super88

You certainly couldn't "deluxe" one now days for $35.00, let alone $70.00
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #16
Joop

Ask Rick Black webmaster from MAFCA
He runs the Deluxe Tudor Special interest Group
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
ETAModel

That's funny, cause I thought that ALL Model A's were Deluxe models... cause everyone you meet tells you their dad had a "Deluxe" model A, and they kept their Stratavarus violin in the back seat, and they lost it when the barn caught fire.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote