Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Milton

Talking Wow this is an engine.

I live at the top of a three mile grade which meant 35mph. I just fired an H&H motor that I modified further. I stayed with the 5.5 Snyder head, replaced the "touring" cam with a HP350 cam from Bill Stipe, a Dan4Banger 27 lb flywheel, 2-94's on a "Riley" manifold and a set of Headers, both from Reds. Now it was just lit and I brought it up the grade, without full throttle even, at 55 mph. Wow! Time to get to work on the steering and definately the brakes.

Last edited by Milton; 12-03-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Wow this is an engine.

Jealous.........and green with envy,................ but I can stop and steer even if it is @ 35 mph
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
A-Jay

Hey Milt, how bout some pictures of this bad boy motor of yours ?? What type of Model A is it in. And what about the transmission and rear are they both stock or what.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Hot Rods, bah humbug!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Logan

One word- jealous
Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Mickey Thompson would be proud!

Jack
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Jim Baskin III Pa.

You cannot say anything bad about a guy with a banger motor.I'm running a 6.0 head, bored .80 over, B cam, lightened flywheel,electronic ignition and a tilly carb.Drags around my tudor body quite well.Enjoy your added power Milton.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Paul's Garage

Darn nice looking Car!
Paul's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I live at the top of a three mile grade which meant 35mph. I just fired an H&H motor that I modified further. I stayed with the 5.5 Snyder head, replaced the "touring" cam with a HP350 cam from Bill Stipe, a Dan4Banger 27 lb flywheel, 2-94's on a "Riley" manifold and a set of Headers, both from Reds. Now it was just lit and I brought it up the grade, without full throttle even, at 55 mph. Wow! Time to get to work on the steering and definately the brakes.
Milton,
Great job/work ! Enjoy fruits of your labor!
Can you tell us about how the 27 lb flywheel affects your starting, from stop? Some have told me, in the past, that this isn't good...for variety of reasons, "except for racing" . BTW, is that Dans aluminum flywheel?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Jay View Post
Hey Milt, how bout some pictures of this bad boy motor of yours ?? What type of Model A is it in. And what about the transmission and rear are they both stock or what.
It is a 1930 tudor with a stock drivetrain from trans on back. The light flywheel supports a 9" pressure plate (w/centrifugal weights) and disk.

1930 A tudor.JPG

motor 1.jpg

motor 2.jpg

motor 3.jpg
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Vanspeed

Now that is nice, I too am jealous.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Milton,
Great job/work ! Enjoy fruits of your labor!
Can you tell us about how the 27 lb flywheel affects your starting, from stop? Some have told me, in the past, that this isn't good...for variety of reasons, "except for racing" . BTW, is that Dans aluminum flywheel?
The first thing I noticed was the astonishing throttle response. I initially started it the normal way and was unsure if I could push the throttle lever back up before it grenaded. The next thing I noticed, after my heart palpitations slowed down, was that the cam was noticable since the flywheel inertia was considerably less. At an idle it sounds like a Honda bike on steroids. To accelerate from a stop is now similar to a modern car i.e. lugging = stalling. I played with a light wheel back in '59 and had a 40 lb made. They said it would kill the babbits but it didn't and this engine has inserts. One good point is the reduction of torsional vibration or crank twist due to the wheel inertia. I still want to use a vibration damper in the future. Stipe offers an aluminum wheel but Dans cast iron cut down was half the Price (pun) plus a balance job. A pound is a pound when it comes to rotational momentum. Time will tell in regards to the engine effect but so far (10 miles) I love it.

Milton AKA Fast Eddy

Last edited by Milton; 12-04-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: misc.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Milton you got the best of both worlds in my opinion. A very nice banger motor in a very nice 30 tudor.Man your making me hungry for a couple of downdrafts.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
The first thing I noticed was the astonishing throttle response. I initially started it the normal way and was unsure if I could push the throttle lever back up before it grenaded. The next thing I noticed, after my heart palpitations slowed down, was that the cam was noticable since the flywheel inertia was considerably less. At an idle it sounds like a Honda bike on steroids. To accelerate from a stop is now similar to a modern car i.e. lugging = stalling. I played with a light wheel back in '59 and had a 40 lb made. They said it would kill the babbits but it didn't and this engine has inserts. One good point is the reduction of torsional vibration or crank twist due to the wheel inertia. I still want to use a vibration damper in the future. Stipe offers an aluminum wheel but Dans cast iron cut down was half the Price (pun) plus a balance job. A pound is a pound when it comes to rotational momentum. Time will tell in regards to the engine effect but so far (10 miles) I love it.

Milton AKA Fast Eddy
Milton,
Thanks for the pics also...gained some helpful info thereby! It's wonderful to see how each person does 'things'! Good ole American enginuity..still alive and well in the Model A world!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote