Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
antiquepa

Default Water Pump Packing

When putting new packing on the water pump shaft [1931] does it make a difference which way the packing is wrapped, been told to wrap the way the engine turns, also been advised to make small circles and to alternate so all seams are not lined up...put new packing on in one peace, wrapped same way engine rotates but the packing nut keeps comming loose and I lose water..any suggestions or remendys to solve this problem..?
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Water Pump Packing

My suggestion or remedy is to replace it with a Leakless Water Pump but evidently you don't want to go that route so let's see what we can do.

With the packing gland nut totally removed, look at the shaft and make sure there is no scoring. If there is, it is unlikely you can get it to make a total seal. Also, is there play fore & aft with the shaft? If so, you will find this causes them to leak too, --even with new packing installed.

Generally if the nut will not stay tight, it means it has been over-tightened and/or the threads are stripped. Any of the above symptoms are great reasons to consider a new pump IMO!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

If you determine that the pump shaft is good, as per Brent's suggestion, then a typical packing kit consists of a couple of packing rings and some "string like" material that can be put in as needed. There is a procedure for putting the packing rings around the shaft. I'm going to type the instructions from the instruction sheet that came with my kit:

"Installation notes for preformed foil packing rings. Slowly twist ring until it can be slipped over shaft. Slowly close and push in place with the peak side toward bushing. Do not spread (pull apart) as this tends to delaminate ring. New installations geneally use three; maintenance one or two." Also, as Brent suggested, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! With the engine running, slowly tighten the nut ONLY until the water stops leaking. I further agree with Brent that a leakless pump is prefered, but for the cost of the packing material, it's worth a shot.

Jack
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
When putting new packing on the water pump shaft [1931] does it make a difference which way the packing is wrapped, been told to wrap the way the engine turns, also been advised to make small circles and to alternate so all seams are not lined up...put new packing on in one peace, wrapped same way engine rotates but the packing nut keeps comming loose and I lose water..any suggestions or remendys to solve this problem..?
Since you mention "WRAPPING" I assume you are using a graphite string, which is the wrong material. Lead packing rings are the thing to use, and they come as a whole ring, or a split ring, which can be installed without taking the shaft out of the pump. Be sure to use lots of grease around the lead packing rings as you put it together. Without the grease I had a drip about once per minute on the first pump I rebuilt. After using grease along with the lead packing rings I haven't lost a drop in over 4 years, and I haven't had to retighten the brass nut either.

If the pump is being rebuilt, using the rear brass bushing with a double lip seal is the only way to go.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
abone88

where could i get this foil packing ring
abone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abone88 View Post
where could i get this foil packing ring
I know for sure Bratton's has them, and I'm sure Bert's and Snyder's and several other parts houses also sell them.I
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote