Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Raffyjoy1102

Default side view mirror

Hi to All,

I would like to install a side view mirror on the passenger side of my 38 pickup. Does anybody know a way to remove the door hinge pin without damaging the body paint? The pin has been painted over.
Raffyjoy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: side view mirror

You are bound to do some damage to the paint but if you are incapable of driving it out from the bottom with a drift and hammer, you might want to aquire a pin remover from Bob Drake,such as this--

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=TL-100

You can also watch this on Youtube--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIWaoA2MaJo

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
19Fordy

Raffyjoy, Don't do it. The amount of damage you will do to your paint and door hinge will
make you regret trying to mount a mirror there. Consider a mirror like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-Paci...8AAOSw8S9d3S2D

Easy install and easy removal. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
34PKUP

If done carefully there is minimal damage to the top and bottom of the hinge and most of that will be covered by the mirror bracket.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
sunshine

On my 39 pkp. I soak mine with Gibbs pentrating oil , then used my air chisel with the pointed attachment after center punching the bottom of the pin you are only doing the top hinge so it is easy to see what you aredoing .
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Raffyjoy, Don't do it. The amount of damage you will do to your paint and door hinge will
make you regret trying to mount a mirror there. Consider a mirror like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-Paci...8AAOSw8S9d3S2D

Easy install and easy removal. Please keep us posted.
I've found that I could not angle the clip-on mirror inward far enough on the R/H side. I angle ground the bracket as much as I could to bring it in further; which made it just barely usable.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Raffyjoy1102

Thanks to all for the tips & advise, really appreciate it...will do the penetrating oil and drift/hammer way first, if that fails then i’ll go the Bob Drake route, thanks again....
Raffyjoy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
I've found that I could not angle the clip-on mirror inward far enough on the R/H side. I angle ground the bracket as much as I could to bring it in further; which made it just barely usable.
Rich, I had a similar problem with this mirror on my '39 Fordor. I solved it by attaching a 4 inch wide angle to the original glass. It was a stick on and solved my right "blind" side issues.

I, too, was afraid to tackle the upper hinge pin!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
slowforty

19Fordy is correct you cant see anything with a hinge mount mirror on the passenger side
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Stenny

Not to be contradictory but I have a passenger side mirror on my '39 pickup and it gives a good field of view.
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

The mirror that 19 Fordy posted I have on my avatar. When at a show my mirror is bumped into a lot as it extends far away from the car and I can’t tell you manny times I have done it in the garage. Bottom line, they get banged around a lot. On my 32 coupe I switched to 3.5” peep mirrors with stick on convex covers. Great visibility and field of vision. They may not suit your car appearance wise so much if it’s stock but I do like them because they are close in. I also had this setup on my old 40 coupe and loved them. This is all just in my experience .......
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffyjoy1102 View Post
Thanks to all for the tips & advise, really appreciate it...will do the penetrating oil and drift/hammer way first, if that fails then i’ll go the Bob Drake route, thanks again....

That's certainly the way to start... And when the penetrating oil does all it can do, and the Drake Hinge Pin Remover bends without budging the pin, then proceed as follows:

Carefully file a small flat on top of the pin in order to determine dead center, and center punch for drilling. With a variable speed hand drill, start with a long drill bit of the smallest size you have. The small size is needed so that the next size larger can be directed more accurately toward the center, and the longer bit is to enable you to eyeball a straight shot downward. Use cutting oil, and remove/reinsert the bit often to clear shavings. It won't be necessary to drill all the way through, about 1/3 through is more than enough, as it is only the knurled area at the top of the pin that will offer resistance due to rust penetration. That said, drilling deeper does generate heat, which is beneficial to breaking the rust, and also helps should you need to slightly adjust the path of the drill. Several drill size graduations will bring you close to the diameter of the pin itself, and you will find that the rusted area will then give way to moving the pin upward and out from below. Take care to properly support the door from falling away after the pin removal, as you will be surprised at how easily the pin fairly jumps out of the hinge.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Royal Ryser

I used the drive-from-the-bottom method after reading what others did. I was expecting to have a big problem, but they came right out with almost no paint damage. I think it might be best to try that first and try the other suggestions if that doesn't work.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote