Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
albjerryg

Default Power Steering and Brakes

I have a 1941 Ford coupe with a 350 engine and would like to put power steering and brakes has anyone done it before and if so what did you use. Thanks Jerry
albjerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Power Steering and Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by albjerryg View Post
I have a 1941 Ford coupe with a 350 engine and would like to put power steering and brakes has anyone done it before and if so what did you use. Thanks Jerry
Better asked over on the HAMB forum of the Jalopy Journal.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
TJ

Go here; www.chassisengineeringinc.com. They have the brackets etc. to help make the change. If your car still retains the axle in front you'll use a Saginaw 605 steering box and the standard Chevy power steering pump and brackets to fit your motor. If you have a Mustang II front end you'll need a power rack and pinion (that fits the Mustang II) and use the Chevy pump with a pressure reducer. Your steering hoses will have the be custom made in most cases.
The power brakes (if you M.C. is under the floor) will require a new pedal assembly or an adapter to mate the power booster( small 7" booster to fit under the floor) to the stock pedal bracket. You will also need the proper dual chamber master cylinder to go with the booster. Naturally you will wind up re-plumbing most if not all of the brake lines. You will also cut a new hole in the floor to access your the MC for future service.
Both of these jobs require some past experience or having a friend with past experience to get the job done.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

if your M.C. is under the floor) will require a new pedal assembly.

Chassis Engineering has an adapter that will mate the original pedals to a Pinto double diaphragm booster. I used a No-limit engineering Corvette M/C adapted to remote fill. I found a VW dual chamber reservoir that can be mounted anywhere above the M/C. This M/C was for front disc, rear drum. The pedals mount in the same location just spaced out maybe 1/2". If you need a PIC send me a message. Sorry I can't post PICs here, never figured out how to do it.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
albjerryg

Thanks very much for the information. Jerry
albjerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
mrtexas

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
if your M.C. is under the floor) will require a new pedal assembly.

Chassis Engineering has an adapter that will mate the original pedals to a Pinto double diaphragm booster. I used a No-limit engineering Corvette M/C adapted to remote fill. I found a VW dual chamber reservoir that can be mounted anywhere above the M/C. This M/C was for front disc, rear drum. The pedals mount in the same location just spaced out maybe 1/2". If you need a PIC send me a message. Sorry I can't post PICs here, never figured out how to do it.
Thanks for the link. They have an MC I might use. They don't have the MC to remote fill adaptor any more. They have MC with extra ports to pipe from either side that I didn't know existed.

http://www.nolimitengineering.com/pr...=0&sort=normal
Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Thanks for the link. They have an MC I might use. They don't have the MC to remote fill adaptor any more. They have MC with extra ports to pipe from either side that I didn't know existed.

http://www.nolimitengineering.com/pr...=0&sort=normal
This is the setup i'm using, check it out at ECI.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/remot..._cylinder.html