Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Roadster62

Default Fred Page and Page's Model A Garage Haverhill, N.H.

If you were in the hobby in the 1960's Page's was the place to go for original Modle A Ford parts here in New England. I only got there once, but many people would go there to sell and buy parts. Just wondering if anyone else had some memories to share. There were monthly ads in Hemmings and a newsletter he's send out. Fred Page worked for American Express when it was a shipping company, is it true he "Invented" the American Express credit card? Bob
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: Fred Page and Page's Model A Garage Haverhill, N.H.

My dad, grandfather and uncle used to go up there pretty frequently. My dad has told me all kinds of stories of stuff up there and stuff he should've bought but didn't. They did buy quite a bit of stuff off him though. I wish that I could've gone up there to meet Freddy Page and to see all the stuff he had up there.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
2manycars

I went up there once to see a car my father was interested in. He soon found out he had cancer, so did not buy the car. It was an amazing sight to see all that stuff.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
gz

He was one of the first guys to import all of the unrestored Model A (and early V8) open cars from South America. There was always a huge selection of unrestored, RHD, Model As and V8s at his place and he used to run ads in Hemmings listing all these cars for sale.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Roger V

I remember talking to Fred at Hershey back when. Quite a character. Would have liked to see all the stuff he mentioned as well as what I read about, but distance meant I never did.

Just like how many times I've been near the Hartung (sp.) museum and didn't take the time to visit. I suppose you think these places will be there forever and easlily put it off and then the're gone!
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Glenn of northport

Talking Re: Fred Page and Page's Model A Garage Haverhill, N.H.

I bought parts from Fred in 1969 found him in Hemmings one time i was looking for a body he sent me photos of 6 restored bodys all painted and ready to install I could not buy one did not have $1800,i still have the photos.
Glenn of northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Keith True

I was there quite a lot when I first got my license.Lots of cars and parts,prices sound cheap now but back then he was considered pricey.His place was exactly 100 miles from me,o the other side of the state.His restoration work was good for back in the 60's,but now I guess you would call it touring class.There were some exceptions,if you paid you got.One thing that sticks in my mind was that the wheels were painted after the tires were mounted.The attitude was who cares about what you can't see.A lot of the hardware was replaced with new back then,he had the idea that the old stuff was stretched and worn out.It just had to be safe,not correct.He showed me a car that had less than 1500 miles on it,it was either a Victoria or a 400 A.There was one of each side by side,but I can't remember which one had the low miles.He used that one for the bible for the cars that were getting the absolute original redo's.One thing you could always count on hearing a half dozen times a day was,if you don't like my prices get out your wrench and go to work.Never wrenches,always wrench.If you didn't have money to spend he wouldn't waste time with you,but he wouldn't tell you to go away either.He was a busy man,and could not waste time gabbing with dreamers.I got the impression from him that if he thought you could be trusted you could run around and look at cars and parts all you wanted.He let me run all over the place,let me drive up the road and into a couple of barns to look at stored cars,and he would talk to me when he had a free minute.He flew into New York to work during the week,he was the Vice-President of American Express at the time.I also got the idea he worked 20 hour days there so he could be at his shop in N.H. 3 or 4 days a week.On top of all this,he still ran the dairy farm where the shop was.When the place closed I know there were some bad feelings from some customers,but if the family could figure out who owned the cars being worked on or stored they got them back to them.There were a lot of cars there that were dropped with no records.Kind of like dropping your car off at a garage for a muffler.No formal paperwork,just that the A's were left there longer.I don't know if he just closed,or died and had to close.I just know there were some messes at the end with customers cars.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
mot

the low milage car was /is a convertible sedan,and his son still owns it
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Clem Clement

I got to visit Fred once. Most personable fellow. When he figurted out I was serious struggling with an AR phaeton, he and his staff stopped their work to help me. I bought a few things from him. He let me go thru the famous barn without supervision. What a sight that was. Across the street and up the hill a little bit.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
peters180a/170b

I met Page son about 3 years ago or so ...He was showing a newly restored Deluxe Phaeton at Hershey Show. I guess i pissed him off..... He was telling 2 ladies that the Deluxe Phaeton was very rare... It so happened i had pictures of my 2 Deluxe Phaetons and shower them to him and the ladies... Did not look to happy after that???Guess i popped this bubble. He still owns the 400 A , and what i hear that's the most solid complete unrestored 400A around... His Deluxe Phaeton was a very nice car.. He also said that was the last time he will show it????
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Steve Wastler

It was Page's, where a younger Aldie Johnson eyed his first postal truck, or should I say part of his first postal truck. Of course this lead to the countless hours over the many years he and others devoted to the postal truck. It was about the same time a few others were inquiring about this unique body style, Thurston Twigg-Smith, Rick Black just to name a few, helped in the forming of the S.I.G. The Postal A's. If it weren't for Page's........
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
motordr

I also have a great memory of stopping in for a visit in the summer of 1969. Fred's son took the time to show us all around...including the barn with the low mile A400. I was told that the car was owned by a widow whose husband died shortly after their honeymoon in '31/'32, and the had car sat since then. He had cars that came over from the scandinavian countries in his barn too. Saw the A400 at a meet within the last 10 years. Ted
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
Buoy Bill

Hello all...my name is Bill Page and Fred Page was my Grandfather...or Grampy to me, my sisters, and my cousins. Today I went with my father (Buzz) to Haverhill to meet with my cousins whose late father was Grampys other son, John Page. John owned the A400 until just prior to his death in 2012.

Although I don't think he could be credited with "inventing" the Amex card, Grampy was an executive at Amex who was a strong proponent of it and worked hard to see its inception. He swore by it and told me many times when I was a boy about the benefits of a charge card that charged no interest if you paid the bill on time.

I worked at Pages as a young man. People made arrangements for what caliber of work they wanted done to their cars and were treated honestly and fairly. If you wanted your wheels painted on the cheap, we would do it. In all my years around the garage, I never met anyone who didn't love Pages or the man behind the desk.

My trip to Haverhill today was to assist my cousins with sorting through their fathers belongings which included the records, documents, and photos pertaining to PMAG. On this note, I intend to create a website memorializing Pages and my Grandfather. I was and remain proud of him and would like to share his (and PMAG) history with others who may enjoy it too.

The website is www.pagesmodelagarage.com and its up now with a basic start.

As I lie in bed pecking on my smart phone I can see Grampy sitting at his desk hammering that typewriter! How times have changed.

Best Regards, Bill Page
Buoy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow Bill, let me be the first to say Welcome to Fordbarn, and I think it is awesome you are doing this memorial on his behalf! I feel certain it will be well received and many will enjoy his legacy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Brentwood Bob

Good to learn about Pages for me on the left coast. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Roadster62

Welcome to the Ford Barn Bill! Very happy to know this thread got you here. Best wishes with the website. Bob
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Bill Underwood

Yep what a memory, what a legacy. I go back that far and used to buy parts. Seemed like I always dealt with Abe. They even found some 34 station wagon stuff for me. That just had to have been a massive collection. Only thing close that I know of is Bert's Never got to visit though, always a regret.
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
motordr

Pages was my Mecca in the 60's...and they didn't disappoint . When two 18 year olds from Canada showed up in an old VW microbus in summer of '69 we were welcomed and given a great tour of the barns. I still remember seeing the low mile 400A.

Last edited by motordr; 03-13-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Buoy Bill

Morning Bill Underwood...here's a picture you might enjoy of Abe showing off some parts in what I recall was the attic of the main showroom. Abe was always super nice to me when I was young and he'd take me under his wing around the shop. He was Grampy's "headlight man" and once taught me how to section off an A headlight with a yellow crayon to provide a path for buffing on the bench buffer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abe Conrad.jpg (82.6 KB, 321 views)
Buoy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Roadster Rich

For about three years, Pages was a 4 to 5 times a year visit for me and my dad. I started to rebuild the 30 Roadster when I was 14 (1966). I remember Fred taking time to talk to me about what steps were the most important. What I remember most was he "talked to me not my dad". The drive from our home in Vermont was just under two hours and some of my best memories. Every time we left early on a Saturday, had breakfast at some diner along the way and a great time to talk together. I also remember his son taking us to the storage barn a few times. Almost every part that went into my restoration was from Page. Then 8 years later, they were the ones my dad picked to do a full paint job, fixing the crude work I had done. Goodness this is a wonderful post to bring back all those memories.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote