Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Skeezixx

Default top dressing

What is recommended as a preservative for the oilcloth(?) top material on closed cars?
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Default Re: top dressing

Mac's sells some products called "Raggtop" that might work for you.
Website is: www.macsautoparts.com PH number is 800-777-0948.

Jack
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
supergnat

I have been searching for the same kind of product for my 28 leatherback. Bob's Antique Auto Parts http://www.bobsantiqueautoparts.com/CATTOOLS.html who specializes in Model T's has a product which is recommended by others called TOP DRESSING, BLACK FOR CLOSED CARS (M-255, $13.95). It is reasonably priced and Bob's shipping is reasonable too. I have not purchased this yet but plan to shortly. There is another prodcut called Liquid Rubber manufactured by http://www.epdmcoatings.com/u
ued for roofing but I'm not convinced it can be used on a Model A top. They make stuff for roofs on RV's but that only comes in white. I haven't found anything else and hope others have some good tips before I take the plunge.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
glenn in camino

I use tire dressing applied and worked in with a scrub brush. Wipe off excess with paper towels. I put the top on my 28 tudor in 1970 and it still looks new.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
ivoryjohn

The top of my '29 Fordor is showing it's age and the material was showing threads. In passed lives I have purchased the $14 a quart "special top dressing" and figure it is little more than black oil based enamel paint.

Thirty years ago I started restoration on a 28' Alaskan double ended troller originally built in 1930. The boat was constructed of yellow cedar and was subject to rot if the fresh water wasn't kept out. The trunk cabin top was covered with canvas that was painted with regular oil based black enamel paint. Several good coats saturated the top canvas and kept it waterproof in the harshest of environments.

I worked on the boat summers and shoveled off the snow in the 65 below zero winters in Fairbanks until I was finally ready to move the boat to Valdez. Every four or five years I would paint on another coat of black enamel. I walked on it, slopped fish on it, my dog slept on it and Valdez poured rain and snow on it for 15 years. It never leaked a drip!

When my Fordor's top looks a little dull I brush on another coat of oil based emanel. It works for me and is the Old School way of doing it on boats.

That is the Columbia Glacier ice field, "The Ivory Boat" my dog and guests pictured below. The top of the cabin and the pilot house are painted canvas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivoryboat in Columbia ice field.jpg (44.8 KB, 35 views)
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Griot's garage makes what I believe is a great top dressing. Only comes in black. I have had great success with this product. Runs about $14. This will be my third touring season using the same bottle. I'm blessed as they have a huge retail store here in town.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Harold frm Sebastopol

Location: Sebastopol, CA (Sonoma Co.-Home of Sonoma Model A's)...Come see Snoopy, Luther Burbank, Taste wine/

ivoryjohn, is the $14 a qt. "special top dressing" you mention the same $13.95 M-255 product supergnat mentions or is yours a different product? If different, Where do you get yours and who manufactures it? or is it just oil based enamel paint available from the local paint store?
Harold frm Sebastopol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
ivoryjohn

[QUOTE=Harold frm Sebastopol;220724]ivoryjohn, is the $14 a qt. "special top dressing" you mention the same $13.95 M-255 product supergnat mentions or is yours a different product? If different, Where do you get yours and who manufactures it? or is it /QUOTE]Just oil based enamel paint available from the local paintstore.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote