Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Roadster62

Default Fender Welting === Finished ends

Got into a discussion today over how fender welting ends should be finished, just a DRIVER quality paint job, was there some time consuming folding of the end material or just a clear razor cut? Photos, Videos, or whatever would be interesting to see. Bob
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
denniskliesen

Default Re: Fender Welting === Finished ends

The ends on my original are about 1 to 2 inches long folded under between the body and the blocks.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #3
canadian
BANNED

I have a 29 that I put welting on , no problem until I got to the outer ends. tried every way possible to make it look right on ends . couldn't come up with any exact way, I too have new paint and driver . what I done was cut off flush with razor and Gulp... pushed a nail with same diameter head inside piping , touched black paint on head... got my criic and judge.. the wife to inspect..got full points. try it on a sample it may please you.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Got into a discussion today over how fender welting ends should be finished,

Bob, I realize you asked how they were supposed to be. Below is how they are NOT supposed to be. If memory serves mes corrrectly, there is an illustration in either the RG&JS or the Paint & Refinish Guide book of how it is supposed to look. Unfortunately, no one manufactures the correct welting, and only Nacewicz's is the closest. The type welting you use is key to making the ends look correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post
I have a 29 that I put welting on , no problem until I got to the outer ends. tried every way possible to make it look right on ends . couldn't come up with any exact way, I too have new paint and driver . what I done was cut off flush with razor and Gulp... pushed a nail with same diameter head inside piping , touched black paint on head... got my criic and judge.. the wife to inspect..got full points. try it on a sample it may please you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Roadster62

Thank you Brent! I was dealing with junk welting and I thought the razor blade cut and dab of black paint looked fine. Far to many other flaws to grab your eye before the welting ends. I do plan to buy some Nacewicz welting for my own project. Bob