Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Closing statement addendum

Even my Dog could add rating stars. I showed him how to do it!---- I found my old report card from 1948 & it had some GOLD & SILVER stars on it!!!
Bill W.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #22
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Got a gold star from the War Department one time..
Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #23
TerryH

Bottom line is we have lost numerous very knowledgeable and helpful contributors here over the past few years.....one that comes to mind easily is Purdy. Most of these folks all had the same opinion.... A few folks either made fun of their responses or questioned them to a point that it was hurtful. Sadly, like most things in life, it is always a minority that does this, but the resultant damage is widespread. Not everyone is "thick skinned", and some ill mannered comments cut to the quick, and the damage is done. I can only imagine how many lurkers frequent our site, afraid to raise an issue or ask a question for fear they will be belittled by an "expert".....pretty sad commentary for sure.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 AM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Bottom line is we have lost numerous very knowledgeable and helpful contributors here over the past few years.....one that comes to mind easily is Purdy. Most of these folks all had the same opinion.... A few folks either made fun of their responses or questioned them to a point that it was hurtful. Sadly, like most things in life, it is always a minority that does this, but the resultant damage is widespread. Not everyone is "thick skinned", and some ill mannered comments cut to the quick, and the damage is done. I can only imagine how many lurkers frequent our site, afraid to raise an issue or ask a question for fear they will be belittled by an "expert".....pretty sad commentary for sure.....
I totally agree with your comments! Purdy us a friend of mine and his absence here is because of one or two obnoxious individuals. Many a newbee or veteran could very much benefit from his skills and knowledge. So now we all suffer because one know it all decided to flex his muscles. Indeed a very sad state of affairs. We can only hope that Purdy and the others reconsider and returns ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #25
31Tudor

Kind of funny, after two different posts about not going to post anymore, and going to be just a "lurker" you have continued to post.....PLEASE let me add, that I am glad you didn't leave!
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #26
stouchton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My advice is do not become a lurker.

I am unfortunately thin skinned, took a couple shots across the bow from a few of the "resident experts" and pretty much now just glean the threads and do not participate.

Still considering myself a novice with the A, though mechanically and electrically inclined, it has made some of the self education difficult.

Much better to be thick skinned and participate. (yes.... I guess I temporarily stopped lurking!!! Maybe it will become a trend??).
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #27
1Tudoor

Thou shall not cast stones at brethren barn brothers ---rather we all get desensitized & lighten up !
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Welcome back,,,, I'm glad you didn't leave either
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
Big hammer

Larry Wecome back!! I for one would like to hear about your project progress. Looking forward to a new and interesting thread about your car!!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #30
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

After all the great IMs, Barn posts and emails that were filled with encouragement, how could I not come back?

I just really hope that the issues that concerned me and others get resolved. I think they will!

Thanks, Gang..

Larry
Old 02-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #31
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Welcome home-not coming back wouldn't serve any purpose. These who intentionally put down others will continue to do - those who don't won't. Many are not aware how their comments can be negatively interpreted. I frequently surprised at some useful bit of A knowledge that pops up - great isn't it?
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #32
denis4x4

Try a week on the HAMB board and if you are not de-sensitized at the end of the week, you need to quit looking at boards period. Actually the monthly HAMB banger thread is often times more civilized than FB.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #33
todd3131

What is interesting to me is people will say things on a post that they would never have the guts to say to someone in person. In forty years or more I have run into only one or two people that would say some rude comments or two about how something was done or how to do something and in both case that I can remember neither one of them was in the hobby just some guy who thought be knew more than I. People who make rude comments or are emphatic that there point of view is the correct over other is really a reflection of them over the person that is on the receiving end of it.

I read most posts from others but I tend to be a lurker not so much because I am worried about people who disagree with me, I like a good fight, but because I don't remember things that I used to know backwards and forwards anymore I just don't want to pass on bad Information and look like a fool.

That is my two cents
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #34
pooch

Yeh, try the traditional hotrod forum too if you want to grow hairs on your chest.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #35
Keith True

This is one of the better forums for car stuff.Others seem just plain nasty sometimes.The common one I see is you are called a liar if you don't have a camera or you can't post pictures.(pictures or it didn't happen) At least here if a question gets asked somebody will answer it,mostly with the suggestion to buy the judging standards or the service bulletins.I saw a young fellow working on a 61 VW Beetle that had a question on a measurement for his brake pedal.He went home,got on some old VW forum,and came back with 13 responses printed out.Every one was telling him to buy the Bentley manual.They were telling him where to buy it,who had the best deal,and a couple told him what page the specs were on,and what figure to look at.Not ONE person would just write 11 MM.He was trying to drive his car home that afternoon,he didn't have one in the garage he was restoring.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #36
jax55

Glad you decided not to drop out Larry. You are invested on this forum, and we can all learn from each other. Welcome back!!
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #37
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Yeh, try the traditional hotrod forum too if you want to grow hairs on your chest.

Oh yeah,,, them guys are BRUTAL over there
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote