Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2022, 04:30 AM   #1
Viv W

Default 1935 V8 battery dimensions

Hi,
I'm nearly finished my 35 Phaeton but need to make a bottom plate for the battery carrier. When I measure the depth from the car floor to the bottom of the carrier side brackets it is just over 7 inches, which does not seem deep enough.
Please can someone tell me the physical dimensions of the battery you use, that is length, width and height, does it have sunken terminals and what is its amp hour rating.
Any pictures of the battery carrier would also be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:52 AM   #2
32Bee

Default Re: 1935 V8 battery dimensions

35 and 36 were the last years Ford installed the battery under the floor, a feature I always
curse as I own a 32, 35 and 36 vehicle. That being said, for that reason the original battery
dimension was 10 9/16" x 7 1/4" x 7 1/8" respectively which kept the unit below its floor
cover plate. Many years ago I adapted a special step down floor for my 36 battery box and
bought an Optima battery which was thin enough to fit between the box flanges. I'm not
aware of any manufacturer that is making a 6 volt battery (other than Optima) that will be
short enough to be used in the original battery box. Note that what I've done does not do
anything to alter or damage the original factory box. I just recently bought another Optima
red top battery and the dimensions are 3 1/2" x 10" x 8 1/8". The 8 1/8" is the measurement from the bottom of the battery to the top of the terminals. I will be making
the same step down box for my 35 convertible sedan. Naturally the drawback to this is the
fact the set up isn't original so if you're going to take your phaeton to a point show it will
lose points for this change. Hope this helps.
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I did some quick internet research on 2LF batteries for '35 - '36 Fords. Most of these URL's would not cover a battery required for judging a high point show quality vehicle

https://www.jegs.com/i/Turbostart/903/2LF/10002/-1

https://turbostart.com/product/2lf/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANP-2LF

https://batterycentralmall.com/produ...8-1939-2lf-rr/

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58371

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pr...=18&Topic=9332

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pr...=18&Topic=7972

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
Dennisfly

Here is the battery in my 35 which is not the original but works well if you are not being judged. However, you will need a new sized hold down. It is about 7 1/2" to the top of the post, and 8 3/8" X 6 5/8" and smaller than the original. It is much easier to find and less expensive. I saw a new one at a Tractor Supply Store yesterday for $105.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19L.jpg (64.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Height.jpg (53.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
Newc

And gel batteries will work laying down. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
Viv W

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it looks like the best option is to alter the original holder to make it take a taller battery. With the original size battery becoming obsolete it explains why I have seen so many firewalls butchered to fit a battery holder into the engine compartment.
Thanks once again to you Ford Barners for the advice,
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
terry

I put rubber bushings over the holes used to tighten the cover. when the cover is screwed down that side with the bushings is raised a little off the floor, but when the rubber mat is put over all this, the rise is not that noticeable. terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Thankfully, pickup owners do not have that problem. We have plenty of headroom. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
I put rubber bushings over the holes used to tighten the cover. when the cover is screwed down that side with the bushings is raised a little off the floor, but when the rubber mat is put over all this, the rise is not that noticeable. terry
Hi Everyone, That's a nice idea terry,

Maybe lining the underside of the battery cover with an insulator would be good insurance with your solution?

I use Optimas and took the route of temporarily lowering the tray on my '36, and putting it on a slant in the '35.

I remember Larry Cossar was doing a domed battery cover a good few years ago. A clever fella could gin up one of those to do the deed also. Make a dozen and they'd find new homes lickety split!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #10
terry

Tangled...that is what i did to be on the safe side. I traced the top cover onto a thin pc of rubber, then cut and glued it to the bottom of the cover. It would be quite a short if the cover bottom touched the battery posts. terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote