Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
[email protected]

Smile Tool for econ mpg runs. Great Idea & Fun

FB member JacksonIII has posted some great Model A videos on YouTube. Please check them out.

I just watched one of his videos specifically on the 2016 fuel economy run that his Oak Leaf club enjoyed.

https://youtu.be/62cdCSwrUHU

10 Model A's on a nice tour with the bonus of finding out who has the best and as well as the worse gas mileage.

I noticed that they were using a float device tool that they put down the gas filler neck to calibrate the amount of fuel before and after their tour.

Jack,
Was this a home made gizmo done just for this? Can you share the design specifics of it please?

The results of each gas tank were being called out and mpg was then determined. It was noted the differences in the different tank sizes per year of the car so that was a variable. Is this info available on a chart and can it please be shared with another club who would like to do the Econo Run tour?
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Tool for econ mpg runs. Great Idea & Fun

Years ago, two of our members built two tools. One for 28-29, and one for 30-31 tanks. They mounted a 6 inch scale vertically with a movable rod with a float on the the bottom and a small indicator that traveled along the scale to indicate the level of fuel. Then they calibrated it by adding fuel to the tank and taking readings. They ended up with a graph for each tank and tool , and built nice boxes to keep them in.
I'll see if we have the plans somewhere. If not I will build a description, with pictures.
No one has ever asked about them. Other clubs must have their own method. Jack
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
160B

I find this interesting!!

But it would be nice to know:
1. What was the terrain (flat, uphill, downhill)?
2. The average speed?
3. What was the total distance?
4. What carburetors relate to the results?
5. Did the vehicle have an overdrive?
6. Did they measure each tank level at the start?

Bob Jordan 25.25 mpg
Dennis D 19.74 mpg
Mike Forester 17.38 mpg

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
DJ S

25.25 MPG? I couldn't get that downhill the entire way...
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

This is just a annual outing each year. We measure at the start, go about 80 miles with pit stops and lunch, measure at the end and that's it. No one has OD. We really don't care who wins, how accurate it is or weather it was a light roadster or heavy fordor. It's as close as we can get it, and it's just a fun outing.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Synchro909

I belong to a club which is for all makes - not just Model As as well as the Model A club. When we do an economy test, we have all sorts of cars, large and small. To give everybody an equal chance of winning something, we have not only the best mileage but also, nearest to nominated. Everybody has an equal chance with that one. Before we set out, the driver is asked what mileage he expects to get. No one knows the route and therefore, the terrain. Never the less, the winner is usually within point one or two of a mpg of his nomination.
For the best overall, Model As are hard to beat unless you're driving a smaller English car The best I ever did in my A (1929 Phaeton) is 30.74 mpg. We usually drive about 100 miles.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
This is just a annual outing each year. We measure at the start, go about 80 miles with pit stops and lunch, measure at the end and that's it. No one has OD. We really don't care who wins, how accurate it is or weather it was a light roadster or heavy fordor. It's as close as we can get it, and it's just a fun outing.
It is also good for the same car to see changes that may have been made from one run to another.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
V4F

I got 18 mpg on my trip to Idaho . all back roads & mountains
Old 11-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

That tool looks like a good idea for measuring gas in the tank. I can make one for the 28-9 tank, then mark it off in gallons on one side, then later mark the other side off for the 1930-1 tank.

I started keeping a log book for my 1950 Studebaker, then mark the gallons and miles as well as cost each time I fill the tank. I should do the same for the Model A. This way you can have a very accurate account over the long haul.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #10
Gerald1961

I also measure the fuel consumption from time to time to evaluate if all settings are correct. Recently, I cleaned and readjusted the carburettor.
Last week I proudly calculated 24mpg on a 180 mls trip in south germany. Conditions were pretty good, 1/3 highway@ 45mph constant, 1/3 national routes @ 30- 45 mph and 1/3 town cruising. Weather was about 60F, no traffic jams.
Gerald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #11
30ccpickup

If you are on a tour and you're the last car it feels like you are always playing catch up. It would be fun to find out if position in line effects your mileage.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
CarlG

My favorite spot in a tour is 2nd or 3rd car. I can usually make all the lights with the lead car in that position.

Since we almost always re-fuel at the same place along the route, about the only thing we do is compare how much it takes to fill up. It's just a quick reference since mostly everyone has driven the same number of miles.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote