Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
flathead47

Default Firewall heater for 35 - 36 coupe

Looking for pictures of firewall heaters that were available & used on 35 -36 coupes. I have a couple of holes in the firewall that are not shown in the 35 -36 restoration book. Thinking there may have been a heater installed at some point , any recommendations , how well do they work.
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: Firewall heater for 35 - 36 coupe

I am using an Arvin hot water heater in my '35 and '36. I have an accessory panel on my dash lip under the center piece. The two knobs are for fan speed and heat control. As for working, they are easy to install, have a minimum of maintenance and put out an acceptable amount of heat. However, like most water heaters nothing happens until the engine heats up. The gas heaters (Southwind), put out more heat and faster but do require some on-going maintenance.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1471.JPG (101.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.JPG (94.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1495.JPG (84.8 KB, 54 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
jacob smith

The only heater for 36 was hot air heater that came off the manifold. Here is a photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (35.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I guess my first questions would have to be,.....what type of heater do you consider a firewall heater, and what is the size/configuration/location of those holes? Holes in the firewall were usually necessary for manifold hot air heaters, gasoline fired heaters like Southwind, and hot water type heaters.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
flathead47

here is what the passenger side firewall looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4186.jpg (29.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4190.JPG (172.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4191.jpg (42.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
35fordtn

Those hole are definitely not for a hot air heater, which as mentioned was the only Ford authorized accessory heater.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
jacob smith

Looks like a hot water heater was added. I have seen many installed in that same area. Are you restoring the car, showing the car or nice driver. I tracked down all the hot air heater parts for my 36 but have not installed yet. I am going for a nice driver but wanted to keep original. If you are not concerned about being original a later model hot water heater is easer to find and install.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
flathead47

I plan on building a nice driver with a later flathead , have a 1950 Merc engine for it. The plan is a water heater , but I can convert from a gas to water unit. I do not want to run gas thru the firewall. The heater flatheadfan showed is the style I am looking for , first Arvin I have seen.
What others were available for these cars. The later water heater I have in my 47 is a little too big for this car.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
jacob smith

There is a nice Firestone heater on eBay. Search Firestone heater on eBay and it comes up. I have also seen early 40s ford heaters used.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

The pattern of those two sets of holes do suggest that two different style hot water heaters were once installed in your car. The one set of holes must have been done by someone in a big hurry to get a heater in that car ....maybe his girlfriend had refused to ride with him untill he had some heat .
Small hot water heaters like you want seem to come up often at shows/swaps. I picked up one that was new, still in the box, last year and another included in some parts recently purchased. I am thinking about installing these in two of my cars with original uncut/unholed firewalls, by running the hoses under the passenger side of the firewall and up threw an aftermarket wooden floor board.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
flathead47

Jm , anything for a girlfriend , I was thinking target shooter who didn't like old fords , was a pretty good shot.
Were the floor boards in that area metal , wood or was there a choice. The floor board on the drivers side is metal in this car , but am missing that board on the passenger side.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

47, two of my original LH steer 35's have a sheet metal toe board on left, drivers side, and a wooden board on right passenger side. I have seen sheet metal toe boards for passenger side as well on LH steer '35's but not sure where those cars were actually made. If your car has a LH sheet metal toe board, I am pretty sure it would have had a wooden board on RH side. Don Rogers would know for sure on this.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-13-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
Karl

I restored an Arvin to install in my 1934 Fordor. It's now mint but I'm not sure if I will install it or not . In New Zealand's temperate climate I never seem to be cold in the car even in winter -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
jacob smith

The floorboards should be plywood on both sides.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob smith View Post
The floorboards should be plywood on both sides.
Not necessarily true Jacob. Two of the '35's I own came off the assembly line with sheet metal toe boards on left side and a wooden toe board on the right side. This is discussed in the 1935-36 Ford Book published by the EFV-8C/A, and authored by Don Rogers. I have also bought some of these sheet metal toe boards at major swap meets. I have also seen sheet metal right sides that came off LHD cars. Not sure which Ford plant in what part of the world used these, but they do exist.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
jacob smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Not necessarily true Jacob. Two of the '35's I own came off the assembly line with sheet metal toe boards on left side and a wooden toe board on the right side. This is discussed in the 1935-36 Ford Book published by the EFV-8C/A, and authored by Don Rogers. I have also bought some of these sheet metal toe boards at major swap meets. I have also seen sheet metal right sides that came off LHD cars. Not sure which Ford plant in what part of the world used these, but they do exist.

Sorry you are correct for some reason I started thinking that we were talking about a 36. 35 had metal floor through mid March according to the 35 36 book.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
flathead47

Jacob . JM , I reviewed the floorboard section (pg 11) again. The car is a 36.
I've been collecting parts for several years for it. The metal toe board was an extra I bought & put in the car , thought it was for both 35 & 36. Thank you both for your input I realize now the metal toe board is for 35 only & the 36 should have wood toe boards on both sides. I do have the 36 retainer plate for the around the pedals , but not the thin plate for around the steering column , another part to look for.