Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Model A Day in Sharon is on. June 6, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
I should hit this up. It’s close enough to me. I’ve ridden my bike up to Harvard plenty of times as well as Lake Geneva and looks like Sharon is only a few miles from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You won't be disappointed!! Plus this year there will be Model A's making their way over to the MARC Natl. meet in Oshkosh.

It is the best Model A Ford event in the Midwest hands-down, I love going and very seldom ever miss it Plus it's cheap entertainment, all free all they ask for is your enthusiasm. The Rock-Ford-A's and other local groups do a fantastic job on this event!!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #22
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
You won't be disappointed!! Plus this year there will be Model A's making their way over to the MARC Natl. meet in Oshkosh.

It is the best Model A Ford event in the Midwest hands-down, I love going and very seldom ever miss it Plus it's cheap entertainment, all free all they ask for is your enthusiasm. The Rock-Ford-A's and other local groups do a fantastic job on this event!!!

I was told there is an event in Rockford next weekend called “Little Hershey” put on by the model T club there. I was assured there would be tons of Model A stuff there as well. Anyone know for sure or agree with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #23
Mike Peters

Yes. Little Hersey is next Sat. May 15 at the Boone county fairgrounds located on the north side of Belvidere, IL. Many years ago it was a mecca for Ford A and T parts, but not anymore. The last few years have been hit and miss for A parts. If you are coming a distance looking for a particular item(s), you will probably be disappointed.
The good news is that anyone driving a Model A to little Hershey this year gets i free.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #24
denniskliesen

How long in driving time will it take to get from Sharon to Oshkosh in a Model A, estimated?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #25
denniskliesen

My mistake duplicate
Old 05-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #26
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
How long in driving time will it take to get from Sharon to Oshkosh in a Model A, estimated?
Hi Dennis, members of the Rock-Ford-A's mapped a mostly County Road route from Sharon to Oshkosh a few weeks ago using a modern car and keeping the speed around 50 mph, it was a 3hr and 10 min trip to the host hotel front door.
I think adding about an hour would have you in the ball park. There will be maps available at the Sharon check in table for those going on to Oshkosh after leaving Sharon. Hope this helps
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Yes. Little Hersey is next Sat. May 15 at the Boone county fairgrounds located on the north side of Belvidere, IL. Many years ago it was a mecca for Ford A and T parts, but not anymore. The last few years have been hit and miss for A parts. If you are coming a distance looking for a particular item(s), you will probably be disappointed.
The good news is that anyone driving a Model A to little Hershey this year gets i free.
Mike remember years ago (the 70's) when they used to have car auctions plus the swap meet at Pecatonica, it was a fairgrounds (Boone County) I think.

That was always fun. Seems as I recall there was a fire or something that kind of squelched that. I think they called THAT Little Hershey!
Old 05-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #28
[email protected]

Quote:
Mike remember years ago (the 70's) when they used to have car auctions plus the swap meet at Pecatonica, it was a fairgrounds (Boone County) I think.

That was always fun. Seems as I recall there was a fire or something that kind of squelched that. I think they called THAT Little Hershey!
You are probably are recalling the “Spring Mecum Car Auction” held close to Memorial Day at the Boone County, Ill. Fairgounds. It was always a rainy event and Mecum moved it to Indy because there was more indoor dry storage and buildings.

The Spring event at the Pecatonica, Ill. Fairgrounds is “The Pec Thing” and is a huge antique flea market. https://www.winnebagocountyfair.com/...g-application/

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-08-2021 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Add web link
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #29
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike peters View Post
yes. Little hersey is next sat. May 15 at the boone county fairgrounds located on the north side of belvidere, il. Many years ago it was a mecca for ford a and t parts, but not anymore. The last few years have been hit and miss for a parts. If you are coming a distance looking for a particular item(s), you will probably be disappointed.
The good news is that anyone driving a model a to little hershey this year gets i free.

82C65FCB-76C9-4F89-9271-B0F6CC122148.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #30
mercman from oz

Flyer for the Little Hershey Swap Meet & Cruise In - May 15, 2021
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #31
denniskliesen

Any suggestions what to do in the area before Sunday?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #32
WTSHNN

Quote:
Any suggestions what to do in the area before Sunday?
Lake Geneva is a fun town. Kind of pricey but good restaurants and boutique shopping if you're not traveling alone. You can visit the Grand Geneva which was originally the Playboy Club in the 60's and 70's.

Delavan has a lot of good restaurants and bars.

Otherwise its corn fields and dairy farms.

-Tim
Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

Gonna be pretty hot and humid this weekend in this area, but will be fun none the less. Heat wave coming into southern Wisconsin will be hot at the MARC nationals too. No rain in forecast.
You never know. One year I went up to Sharon and about froze my keisters off!
Yes Pecatonica,,, I recall in the 70's about every time I went it was cold and raining! Forgot that was where the Mecum Indy event evolved from . Dana Mecum is a Wisconsin boy as I recall.
I'd be willing to bet that this year's Sharon meet will be the biggest they ever had
Go hungry because their is always plenty of good food The Lion's Club(??) puts on that pig roast and they really pile on the chow, good stuff!
Swap meet usually has something I seem to need.
Also walk the perimeter and see the cars that people drive in to see the meet. Flathead Fords, Model T's, 60's era muscle cars, Model A's that someone might be only there to see the other cars, lots to see and do . Some guy had a really nice '67 Ford Galaxie convertible there in 2019, blue with a white top. We had a Candy Apple Red '67 convt. with a 390. THAT was THE one car I kick myself for ever selling I loved that car! Drove and rode like a dream. Plenty of power and room.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #34
WTSHNN

Quote:
Dana Mecum is a Wisconsin boy as I recall.
Yup, their corporate headquarters are in Walworth, about 10 miles from Sharon. Their tractor segment of the business is a few miles south in Illinois.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #35
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Yup, their corporate headquarters are in Walworth, about 10 miles from Sharon. Their tractor segment of the business is a few miles south in Illinois.
You're right I forgot that. Dana has just enough of a 'Chicago' accent you can tell he lives not far from Chi-town!

They have really done well for themselves. I see them kicking Barrett-Jackson to the curb and being #1 if they are not already. Mecum used to have cars I even could half way afford but that is slipping out of my grasp, as they are drawing in more and more A-1 class cars in their auctions! Plus if I was a seller, I'd prefer the Reserve option over selling at no reserve. An auction is a tricky thing. IF you don't get two people that really want what you have you stand to get burned. An auction price is only good for that day, at that time, and at that place. I don't consider auction prices as true indicators of an old car's worth. Never did.

Now on to Sharon,,,,, it will be a blast this year can hardly wait!!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #36
denniskliesen

If all those other years and models show up I hope I’m not out of place in my little ol Model A. Just patiently waiting for Sunday morning. Not far away and enjoying the scenery. It brings back good memories of living in the country when I was young and having the privilege of learning a lot from my dad.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #37
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
If all those other years and models show up I hope I’m not out of place in my little ol Model A. Just patiently waiting for Sunday morning. Not far away and enjoying the scenery. It brings back good memories of living in the country when I was young and having the privilege of learning a lot from my dad.
The Midwest is a pleasant place overall, especially in farm country. you will get a tired arm from waving at all the people when you drive thru here. Plus where I live farmers all just wave at you whether they know you or not
Old 06-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #38
psimet

Quote:
The Midwest is a pleasant place overall, especially in farm country. you will get a tired arm from waving at all the people when you drive thru here. Plus where I live farmers all just wave at you whether they know you or not
Very true. Part of why, after living all around the world, I came back and won't leave the midwest (Illinois specifically).

...at least until the winters finally do me in... but this spring is just reaffirming my love of this area.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #39
McMimmcs

Bttt, Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #40
Garwood

I was planning on going to this but unfortunately I won't be able to make it. I will be going to Gilmore Model A day in Sept. thou.

Someone please take lots of pictures and post them somewhere so I can see what I missed.

Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote