Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default AACA Judging vs. MAFCA-MARC judging

===

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 12-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
MCHinson

Default Re: AACA Judging vs. MAFCA-MARC judging

Jeff,

You are comparing apples and oranges. AACA is not "vague", it is "general". The same judging sheets and system hs to work everywhere from a 1903 Curved Dash Olds, to a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria and everything in between. MARC and MAFCA are very "Specific" as they only judge Model A Fords.

Obviously the two judges that you spoke with in Moline, are not very experienced, nor very professional. It sounds to me that they don't very well represent the average AACA Judge. AACA does not teach or encourage "guessing". The AACA Judging System works very well for what it does.

Both MARC and MAFCA awards obviously represent something different from what an AACA 1st Junior represents.

There is also a lot of difference in what is required for Junior, Senior, Grand National, and Senior Grand National, so a 1st Junior is not a very appropriate level to compare to MARC or MAFC Winners.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
glenn in camino

Have you looked at the MARC standards for touring class cars? They must not be much better than the AACA standards. Very loose. Remember that big flap a few months ago about the 500 point MARC touring class car in the magazine. What were they thinking? MAFCA judges blue ribbon and red ribbon cars using the same standards. I felt real good about my lowly 430 point, mark of excellence touring class score in Vancouver. I think it was the highest touring class score.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Now hang on a second Jeff , there is much positive to be said about winning a 1st Junior, -or Senior, or Grand National. What one needs to understand it has more to do with what the goals of each of those club's venue are. Generally speaking, it takes a decent car to win its Senior and/or GN at an AACA event. Now many Model A's that I saw at French Lick this past summer could not win a 1st Jr. at an AACA meet. One also needs to remember that it is a car show, --not a functionality event.

When you really think about it, what the Antique Automobile Club of America is doing really smart to preserve old cars and encourage their preservation/restoration (not be built into hot rods). Therefore, their whole focus is to give the car owner a reason to travel & display their restored/preserved antique automobile for the general public to come out and view for free in a family atmosphere setting. This promotes the collector car hobby for both sides. Now common sense says that if the AACA judges were as strict in their evaluations as what a MARC/MAFCA Judge was/is, how many attendees would they have at their shows? Also understand that most AACA class judging is not THAT picky (anal?? ) however AACA judges will be quick to tell you that is not their goal either.

Now on the flip side of that, I had the Tudor pictured below in competition in Homestead, FL this past March in the AACA show there. When the judges started looking the car over, I glanced up and there was Jerry Wilhelm as Team Captain. You will find Jerry's name in the front of the MARC/MAFCA Judging Stds. Acknowledgements as a contributor and many time MARC/MAFCA Judge. He had no problems telling the members of his team what was right and wrong with that car!! I also have shown two other Model A's at AACA shows this year and had Model A fine-point Judges doing judging in those AACA shows too. The Hershey Fall Meet is also a place that you had better be close on authenticity or you will get deductions.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

Very well said i must say BRENT! and you pretty much covered all the bases. You get some pretty nice restored "A"s at a A.A.C.A meet and alot of past MARC/MAFCA winners going around and around again. less stressfull ... and less anal [i like that!].Jerry Wilhelm is a gentleman always when judging Model A cars in A.A.C.A... or most cars. Yes he can very well judge Model "A"s but he also knows what is a fair call too.He made it a point to look over my car last year at Hershey and had VERY nice kind words about the car.Bill Sturm said for him to check out the top and side curtain rods. He was surprised to find i had a orginial mirror bracket [trico]. Very hard to find he said . Hershey will get about 60 + A's to judge this year[hopefully]ever since they put them on the grass it seems less and less]. Yes i am judging this year. Not my class as i am showing the 180A... Which is correct to do!!!.We all look for a day. I can start smelling the chocolate,,its calling me

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 08-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Rusty Homestead Fl

You hit it Brent. My wife and I went to the Homestead show and we were impresed with the variety and quality of cars on display. Though not all were judged they all were winners in my book. I remember your Tudor and took a few pictures of it ( along with all the other A's there ). Very nice. Thanks for bringing it down for us to see. It was a beautiful day for a show.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Homestead Fl View Post
You hit it Brent. My wife and I went to the Homestead show and we were impresed with the variety and quality of cars on display. Though not all were judged they all were winners in my book. I remember your Tudor and took a few pictures of it ( along with all the other A's there ). Very nice. Thanks for bringing it down for us to see. It was a beautiful day for a show.
We had at least one of our memebers enter that show with their A. (This is the car but not the show).