Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Bidding question on auction item

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I think you were wrong. 1st you would have NEVER EVER Seen the bidders, ebay protects their privacy by changing the names...
The way it use to be was that the bidder was identified with his/her eBay handle and the number of feedbacks, ie: cgodsoe (*99). Some time back they changed that to a random id: e**a (*99).
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
WTSHNN

I've done well over 200 transactions on ebay, 30 or 40 of which were as a seller.

I got screwed once probably back in 2002 when I bought some rare CD singles that turned out to be bootlegs.

It used to be that ebay showed the bidders' usernames, that stopped 8 or 9 years ago. Was interesting to see who was bidding. You can still get a suspicion if someone is "shill bidding" by looking at the bidding history for an item. Yes, the username is jumbled but it is ALWAYS the same jumble of letters and the feedback number will be the same. If you're concerned that a person is using a shill bidder, go back through bid histories of other auctions from that seller and if the jumbled name and feedback number appear... Caveat Emptor.

Thanks
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
RonC

I read the #1 most-requested feature addition that eBay users would like to see added was the 15 minute rule. The auction is automatically extended until there have been no bids placed within fifteen 15 minutes. Then it closes just like a live auction
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #24
CarlG

While I have missed out on several things because of the hard time closing, more often than not, I have won out in the last seconds because time ran out, nevermind there may have been someone out there waiting to ambush me and didn't get there in time.

The PU in my avitar was won with my bid in the last 30 seconds.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
RonC

Ebay changed it to private because a lot of sales were being made off ebay. If you had an item for sale you could find one that sold on ebay and solicit the losing bidders of that auction to buy your item. Unfortunately it hides shill bidders now
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #26
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Mark, actually I wasn't complaining just noting. I've done around 200 transactions on E-Bay, probably 33% selling the rest buying. Sold a '37 Ford on there once worked out well (years ago).

I'm not trying to fire up the E-Bay-good-or-bad we've hashed thru this ad nauseum. When you try to investigate 'who' is bidding on an item like this, and you are stopped by the 'bidder's ID protected', it just raises the danger signals with me. One guy on there was nickel and diming the bids by small amounts; you can still track the time, he was fishing. Who was it?? Had to be a shill bidder or else how about the guy that jumped the bid 20 grand in one stroke two days before the auction ended? Doesn't make sense. That bid pretty much killed the whole thing it ended there.

I'm just saying I'll never bid on an item like this again. That dealer had a lousy E-Bay rating anyway.
..... Jeff, Look at auction #160698765871 Yes, I got it & dont care who knows, My point is look @ how many times the one guy bid, 7 out of 10 bids.. Now look at how much time was left when I got it...That is how to win..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Mark, actually I wasn't complaining just noting. I've done around 200 transactions on E-Bay, probably 33% selling the rest buying. Sold a '37 Ford on there once worked out well (years ago).

I'm not trying to fire up the E-Bay-good-or-bad we've hashed thru this ad nauseum. When you try to investigate 'who' is bidding on an item like this, and you are stopped by the 'bidder's ID protected', it just raises the danger signals with me. One guy on there was nickel and diming the bids by small amounts; you can still track the time, he was fishing. Who was it?? Had to be a shill bidder or else how about the guy that jumped the bid 20 grand in one stroke two days before the auction ended? Doesn't make sense. That bid pretty much killed the whole thing it ended there.

I'm just saying I'll never bid on an item like this again. That dealer had a lousy E-Bay rating anyway.
Keep in mind my friend that this is basically a privacy issue that must be followed, same as stand behind the orange line!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I read the #1 most-requested feature addition that eBay users would like to see added was the 15 minute rule. The auction is automatically extended until there have been no bids placed within fifteen 15 minutes. Then it closes just like a live auction
On the New Zealand equivalent of ebay "TradeMe" we have a 2 min autoextend of the auction ie any bid in the last minute extends the auction by 2 mins. As a seller its great but as a buyer it makes it much harder to get a bargin and I much prefer Ebay. Caught up in the frenzy of it all I have duelled with another bidder for 40 minutes Turning what would have been a steal on my bid in the last few seconds to an expensive buy-Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Nice snag Fred BUT my brother-in-law who lives in California keeps telling me it doesn't rain out there so why would you want that item???????

And besides, were you L***H (738) in a recent Ford GT auction?? Hmmmmm Your cover is blown buddy!!
See, Again, You are pulling straws.. If you read, I live in California, Maryland.. Right next to Hollywood.. And next, NO I was not bidding on a FORD GT.. I just sold my 03 Lightning on E-BAY to a guy from Texas.. It was a little faster than a GT.. Also you are proven wrong, They dont use the same letters every time.. WHAT COVER ??
Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Also you are proven wrong, They dont use the same letters every time..
In my experience, they do...
-Tim
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #31
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
In my experience, they do...
-Tim
Tim & Jeff, I called E-BAY about your response to the SAME use of letters every time you bid.. The lady I talked to did not know the answer & had to foward the question to E-BAYS SECURITY.. This what I just got back from them in an E-MAIL thru the message sys...If you bid on DIFFERENT ITEMS they will show a different alias in "EVERY" item that you are bidding on but always shows the bidders F/B score.. E-BAY Customer Support..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
..... Jeff, Look at auction #160698765871 Yes, I got it & dont care who knows, My point is look @ how many times the one guy bid, 7 out of 10 bids.. Now look at how much time was left when I got it...That is how to win..
With such a low number (25) I just thought he was not savy on how to bid.

As for my opinion of shills, I have a max price in mind when I bid.
No matter the reason is it goes over that amount I walk away. I've lost bids by pennies and never said "If I only bid higher".
Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #33
Randy in ca

Fred, I think eBay Customer Support may have been stringing you a line as far as assigning a different "alias" for every auction you bid on. Soon after eBay started using their new anonymous bidder routine I wondered about this very procedure, as I frequently kept seeing the same "aliases" bidding on similar items using similar bidding strategies. Not that I really cared, but I confirmed that my own "alias" was NEVER CHANGING by logging in using all of either my wife's, my son's and my daughter's accounts and checking for my "alias" on auctions that I'd either won or bid on. It never changed from one auction to the next, no matter whose account I was signed into. If you wanted to provide us with a couple more auctions you've won or bid on, we could confirm whether your "alias" is changing from auction to auction as eBay states, or if indeed it's always the same and they're stinging you a line.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #34
Ross/Kzoo

Yes, don't count on everything an eBay employee tells you. I was asking why sometimes I could view the view/watches format on an item that I was selling and at other times only the watches would appear. Twice I tried to find out and no one knew. I figured out how to do that on my own.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #35
WTSHNN

Quote:
Tim & Jeff, I called E-BAY about your response to the SAME use of letters every time you bid.. The lady I talked to did not know the answer & had to foward the question to E-BAYS SECURITY.. This what I just got back from them in an E-MAIL thru the message sys...If you bid on DIFFERENT ITEMS they will show a different alias in "EVERY" item that you are bidding on but always shows the bidders F/B score.. E-BAY Customer Support..
Here is my process for determining that the jumbled name never changes.

Yesterday, while logged into my account on my work computer I went to the advanced search, search bidders, typed in my father's ebay user name, looked at 16 auctions that he has bid on and won in the past month. Now, because I was logged in under my username, all of the bidders names were jumbled. His was u****i (206) for every single one of the 16 auctions he won in the past month.

This morning, sitting on my personal laptop at my kitchen table, I repeated the same procedure as above. u****i (206).

Enough evidence to lead me to believe that the jumbled name remains the same.

-Tim