Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
BoxCar Tom

Default Won't move

32 sedan will not move. Haven't driven it for about 4 - 5 weeks, battery went soft so charged it for two days. Now it cranks, starts and runs nice. Put it in reverse, won't move, put it in 1st gear, won't move. Won't move in any gear. Hand brake is off, checked no wheel chocks, Turned everything off, put it in neutral, hand brake off, got out, tried to push it, won't move? Trans feels normal positive in each position. There was a clunk when I first put it in reverse, which is not unusual in this car. Brakes are original mechanical, could they be locked up? This is a first for me. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sedan IMG_1071.jpg (91.7 KB, 438 views)
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Won't move

If you are saying the car is locked up and will not roll or let the engine turn when the clutch is let out, there is a problem in the transmission. Pull the cap, that is the part your shifter lever is in. Look for something caught in the teeth or the low/reverse gear and second/high sync. collar are both in gear at the same time. This could happen when shifter forks are bent, worn, shift lever end worn and so on. You should be able to see little teeth on both sides of the sync. collar and be able to slide the low/reverse gear back and forth with no resistance.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
32 sedan will not move. Haven't driven it for about 4 - 5 weeks, battery went soft so charged it for two days. Now it cranks, starts and runs nice. Put it in reverse, won't move, put it in 1st gear, won't move. Won't move in any gear. Hand brake is off, checked no wheel chocks, Turned everything off, put it in neutral, hand brake off, got out, tried to push it, won't move? Trans feels normal positive in each position. There was a clunk when I first put it in reverse, which is not unusual in this car. Brakes are original mechanical, could they be locked up? This is a first for me. Any suggestions? Thanks,

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
mhaim

The ebrake locks all 4 wheels. Jack up car and see if wheels turn.
mhaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
ford38v8

Tom, we don't have enough information to diagnose your problem. You should be able to diagnose it up to a certain point yourself, and give us more detailed info: Is there any different feel of the clutch? When you let the clutch out, does the engine want to die? Is there any abnormal sound or vibration that wasn't there before this happened? Any difference in engine speed at idle in gear as opposed to in neutral? Does any gear you put it in sound as if absolutely nothing is happening, or is there a sound or a different feel on the shift lever? When you try to push it, will it move even just an inch or two, or is it solidly immovable where it sits?
If your answers are good verifiable fact, we can get a much better idea of the issue without your having to dismantle any part of the car. There are several things that it could be, you don't want to go off in the wrong direction on the repair.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
ssffnomad

Yes , Jack up
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:17 PM   #7
aussie merc

sounds like wheel lock time to lift and spin each wheel in turn
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #8
SUHRsc

I'll come pick it up and MOVE it on a trailer back to my house! looks like a great car!

my 32 pickup has multiple times now gotten stuck in 2 gears and won't budge.... not sure whats worn and causing this. it doesnt even run but i try to push it around and end up having to take the trans top off and relocate the gears.

good luck!
Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:45 PM   #9
BoxCar Tom

The clutch feels the same, feels normal. There is no abnormal sound or vibration that wasn't there before this happened. With the clutch depressed there is no difference in engine speed at idle in gear or in neutral. The trans shifts into each gear position as normal. I can feel it when it slides into reverse and it has the same feel when shifted into 1st. There is less feel when shifted into 2nd and 3rd. While in reverse when I let the clutch out and it starts to grab the engine starts to slow down and the car does not move. Same for 1st gear. It seems that if I continue to let the clutch out the engine will die or whatever is locked up will bust.

When i tried to push it, it would not budge, not even an inch, it is solidly immovable where it sits. It feels like the breaks are being applied or it is in gear.

I can't do anything tomorrow or Monday, prior commitments. First thing Tuesday I'll jack up the front of car, trans in neutral and see if the wheels spin. If the wheels turn then the trouble is in the trans. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sedan IMG_1070.jpg (87.7 KB, 386 views)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
cas3

its stuck in two gears...shift handle badly worn out, and or the 1/4" pin on the right side of the shift tower is all wallerd out

Last edited by cas3; 09-04-2022 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:03 AM   #11
deuce lover

The clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #12
petehoovie

Quote:

I can't do anything tomorrow or Monday, prior commitments. First thing Tuesday I'll jack up the front of car, trans in neutral and see if the wheels spin. If the wheels turn then the trouble is in the trans. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what happens.
Nice patina...

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-04-2022, 01:40 AM   #13
ford38v8

Quote:
The clutch feels the same, feels normal. There is no abnormal sound or vibration that wasn't there before this happened. With the clutch depressed there is no difference in engine speed at idle in gear or in neutral. The trans shifts into each gear position as normal. I can feel it when it slides into reverse and it has the same feel when shifted into 1st. There is less feel when shifted into 2nd and 3rd. While in reverse when I let the clutch out and it starts to grab the engine starts to slow down and the car does not move. Same for 1st gear. It seems that if I continue to let the clutch out the engine will die or whatever is locked up will bust.

When i tried to push it, it would not budge, not even an inch, it is solidly immovable where it sits. It feels like the breaks are being applied or it is in gear.

Tom, I think your answers have eliminated all but the transmission being in two gears at the same time. Several previous posts have suggested that, and the reasons it can happen.

I can only hope you will take extra caution to preserve the interior of that great car while doing that job!
Old 09-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
51woodie

When it won't even move "an inch", wouldn't that mean the diff/axle is locked up? When my '46 is parked in 1st or reverse, I can rock it back and forth at least 3-4 inches.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #15
swedishsteel

"Sat for 4 or 5 weeks"----time enough for brakes to rust to the drums? As others said--jack it up and see if the wheels turn.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #16
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
The clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel

I don't think so.

"in reverse when I let the clutch out and it starts to grab the engine starts to slow down and the car does not move. Same for 1st gear. It seems that if I continue to let the clutch out the engine will die or whatever is locked up will bust."
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I don't think so.

I agree....clutch plate AIN'T stuck to flywheel!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #18
deuce lover

Okay
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:06 AM   #19
cas3

He says he can feel the shift lever working proper. But ! you would be feeling the rails falling into the detents, which does not necessarily mean the gears have moved as intended. Its in two gears if it wont move
Old 09-05-2022, 01:23 AM   #20
ford38v8

Quote:

I can't wait for Tuesday to come along to hear the results of that test.
Those front wheel drive '32 Fords are almost as scarce as hen's teeth!
Old 09-05-2022, 01:25 AM   #21
Tinker

My 38 sat for 40 yrs and luckly ran and drove fine. Since, rebuilt the motor and went over things. Not sure time is the issue. But motors and cars need to run. Run it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:11 AM   #22
glennpm

I agree with Deuce lover that the clutch is stuck to the flywheel.

Start and warm up the engine, shut it off. Now shift into first gear and start it in gear without engaging the clutch.

This happened to me years ago. I took it to an old timer's garage and he instructed me in this. Worked like a charm!

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:31 AM   #23
vincent

No matter if clutch is stuck (it is not) or tranny is stuck in two gears or diff is broken/stuck - there is always a little play between all the gears and pinions between engine and rear wheel. So whatever is blocking the car it should still be movable an inch or two when trying to push forward/rearward. The only thing that will lock it solid without any possible movement are the wheels. So first of all I would check the wheels.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #24
glennpm

"The only thing that will lock it solid without any possible movement are the wheels. So first of all I would check the wheels."

Yes, if there is zero movement, likely the brakes.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #25
BoxCar Tom

Monday morning, I'm anxious for tomorrow to go figure out what's the problem. The shift pattern is normal, lever shifts into each position with ease, no notches or drag. The car responds to each gear but does not budge. Example, reverse, let the clutch out, it starts to grab, the car lifts up toward the rear. 1st gear, let the clutch out, it starts to grab, the car lifts up toward the front. Same with 2nd and 3rd gears, but softer grab and lift. That tells me the trans is doing what it is supposed to do but the car doesn't budge, I'm thinking the brakes are locked up.

So yes I can't wait till tomorrow so I can jack the front of the car up, IN NEUTRAL, HAND BRAKE OFF, to see if the wheels turn or are the brakes locked. Same with the rear, I hope the brakes are the problem, the last thing I want is mess with the trans.

Yes Alan, Under normal conditions, front wheel drive '32 Fords are all around us, all you have to do is put the car in reverse, as you let the clutch out look out the back window and start driving. Lots of laughs. Lets hope I get back to "normal" conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sedan IMG_1067.jpg (102.6 KB, 239 views)
Old 09-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #26
kurt v

Do you have the emergency brake on ?
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #27
Pat/Ohio

The "suspense" is killing me!! Can't wait until tomorrow! lol

Stay Safe!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #28
RalphInCA

This is the most exciting thing going on in my life right now.

Don’t let us down! Can’t wait till tomorrow.

(I live a pretty quiet life LOL)
RalphInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #29
V8COOPMAN

GUYS...(You know WHO you are)...I won't name names!

The clutch disc AIN'T STUCK to the flywheel! I KNOW that two of you's guys SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

For the engine to be able to start and run, the CLUTCH Pressure Plate must also turn, as it's bolted to the flywheel. With clutch pedal in the "UP" position, the DISC is clamped to the FLYWHEEL.

With clutch pedal in "DOWN" position, DISC should normally be independent of any flywheel movement.

With pedal in "DOWN" position, and DISC Stuck To Flywheel, amounts to same as pedal in "UP" position. Engine could ONLY POSSIBLY RUN if in NEUTRAL.

Owner says that he has tried to let clutch out slowly with ENGINE RUNNING. As he does so, the engine RPMs decrease as the clutch pedal comes "UP"! CLUTCH PARTS appear to be working properly! But, WTF do I know?

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #30
cadillac512

Exactly, Coop. In fact, if he says the car is solid and won't budge an inch, most likely it is a brake or something else that has locked a wheel from turning. Logical process of elimination with all the provided information is the way to proceed.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #31
petehoovie

Old 09-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #32
mhaim

Back in the early 80Â’s I used a 34 4door as my daily driver. On one winter evening with freezing rain, I drove home, pulled into the driveway and set the hand brake. Next morning with temps below freezing, I started the Ford, put it in gear and relieved the hand brake. The car wouldnÂ’t budge. All the levers were frozen. After doing forward reverse a few times the I got 3 wheels free but the right rear was still locked. But the car could drive. After dragging that wheel on icy roads for about a mile it finally freed up. Lesson learned.
mhaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #33
3quarter32

New to me also.
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #34
BoxCar Tom

Fairly certain that the brakes are the problem So I chocked the front wheels, put it in neutral, hand brake off. jacked up the rear wheels. PS wheel locked but broke loose with just little hard tug on the tire. DS wheel needed a lot more persuasion, couple of hard whacks to the backing plate with rubber hammer, wheel moves. This is good news. Intentionally released the floor jack quickly so the car hit the floor hard. Something up front squeaked? Car rolls backward. Went up front pulled the chock, car rolls forward. Started it up, put it in 1st gear, moves forward, put it in reverse, it moves backward. Want to take it out for a spin but its raining, finally. Maybe Thursday or Friday. Don’t want a repeat, so didn’t set the hand brake, put it in neutral, chocked the rear wheel. Thanks to everyone for all the advise, back to normal.

A bit anticlimactic but welcome nonetheless

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 09-06-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #35
Mart

Well that was easily resolved. Glad you didn't waste a lot of time on a wild goose chase trying to find a transmission problem.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #36
ford38v8

Well, we can't all be right all the time.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #37
tubman

Once again, Mr. Coopman proves that, contrary to his protestations, he does know a few things!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #38
cadillac512

Vincent up on post #23 and a couple fellers from page 1...they're the winners!

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #39
swedishsteel

Hint--don't use the hand brake when you park it so the shoes don't have contact with drums to rust together. Glad it was easy fix.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:07 AM   #40
cas3

yup ^^^ never ever put the parking brake on and then let it sit in storage. left in gear is all you need
Old 09-07-2022, 01:15 AM   #41
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Once again, Mr. Coopman proves that, contrary to his protestations, he does know a few things!

Seems like a no brainier to me. Clutch plate engaged, clutch plate not engaged. Not to be a protestations. A stuck clutch disk to the flywheel might be another issue that is rarely or ever an issue. Don't want to ruffle feathers or kiss ass too much.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #42
RalphInCA

Winston Churchill once said, “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.”

That’s sort of like asking the Internet (or the Ford Barn) for advice.

You’ll get every sort of answer imaginable but eventually (usually, hopefully?) arrive at the right place.
RalphInCA is offline   Reply With Quote