Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
old ugly

Default lifter / lifter boss question

to hold the adjustable type lifter while doing the adjustment the cam has to be rotated, adjusted then rotated back and the clearance checked.

the question is
is there a modification that can be done to the lifter boss to hold the lifter from turning so the trial and error is not necessary?

i know we are looking at a totally different style lifter but, for eg. on a flathead 8 a hole is drilled into the lifter boss and a pin will hold the lifter during the adjustments.

thanks

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: lifter / lifter boss question

A lot of engines have the lifter bosses (guides) milled down so that the lifters are accessible when the lifters are on the heals of the cam lobes. I realize that this is not possible to do when the engine is together but it may be something to plan next time the engine is rebuilt.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
A lot of engines have the lifter bosses (guides) milled down so that the lifters are accessible when the lifters are on the heals of the cam lobes. I realize that this is not possible to do when the engine is together but it may be something to plan next time the engine is rebuilt.
sort of what i was thinking.
is there an info on how much to take off of the top of the lifter boss?

thanks

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
old ugly

i guess that amount could be measured by, with the cam and lifter in, and on the heal, measure the height needed to access the holding flats.

i wonder how much material is acceptable to remove. seams to be lots of length to that lifter guide.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #5
nkaminar

I have not seen any data but I would take off just enough to clear the location on the lifter where you need to grab onto it with the wrench. I use skinny wrenches.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

A lot of people do as mentioned above, I do not like to do it because it leaves less support for the lifter, side support. when building an engine, I install the crank, then the lifters and cam, with gears. I then install all the valves and guides. Then, using the rule of 9's, I bring a valve to its fullest open position so the opposite valve is fully closed, and measure the clearance. Now I can lift that lifter enough to adjust it. I hold the valve closed with my thumb to get an accurate feel of the clearance. I then proceed to the next valve and repeat. I do a final check after installing the valve springs, and rarely have to make any changes. The rule of 9's is: with #1 valve fully open, #8 is fully closed. 1+8=9; 2+7=9, etc. My engines are all performance engines, and the lifter gets more side-thrust with a performance cam.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
A lot of people do as mentioned above, I do not like to do it because it leaves less support for the lifter, side support. when building an engine, I install the crank, then the lifters and cam, with gears. I then install all the valves and guides. Then, using the rule of 9's, I bring a valve to its fullest open position so the opposite valve is fully closed, and measure the clearance. Now I can lift that lifter enough to adjust it. I hold the valve closed with my thumb to get an accurate feel of the clearance. I then proceed to the next valve and repeat. I do a final check after installing the valve springs, and rarely have to make any changes. The rule of 9's is: with #1 valve fully open, #8 is fully closed. 1+8=9; 2+7=9, etc. My engines are all performance engines, and the lifter gets more side-thrust with a performance cam.
adjusting the valves if done proper is a once in the engines lifetime operation on a stock model A
the benefit would be for the next owner or if there is some sort of failure.
i may or may not shorten the lifter bosses i have not decided yet. if i do, for me this is the time to do it as the engine is completely torn down and will be heading off to mr Babbit soon.
time is not an issue for me, was curious if there was an easier way.

thanks