Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Brakes......

Today I was looking around in the Internet and saw a little gizmo for adjusting brakes. I designed one from a picture and gave it to our CNC operator and he wipped one out in no time. I adjusted it according to what I read on line and the brakes are very very good now. Only issue I found was my front brakes lock up when the brake lever is at zero degrees, I know it should be at 15. The brakes work excellent in my opinion, but should I dive in to the front to see where the wear is? Hard to believe my push pins are that worn. How much better would they be if I was at 15 degrees? I think I will take a look but for what this cost - zero, it gave my A great pedal and rear brakes that lock up evenly and the car stops excellent.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Brakes......

The 15 degrees is when the brakes are off. When the brakes are on hard the lever will move back to 0 degrees or vertical.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
wmws
BANNED

BTW I love the patina on you car. It looks about like mine.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

by the time you are at zero° you have used up any and all mechanical advantage. (you will be 'over-center')
If the brakes are done correctly, at rest the lever should be about 15° and that won't diminish much under 10° with a hard stop.

There are many places for mechanical brakes to wear. A few thousandths here and there adds up quickly. For your safety, it is time for an overhaul, which will last for many years

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 08-25-2016 at 10:15 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Barber31

So... No.1 what brake lever are y'all talking about? Pedal? Cross shaft? Actuating arm?
No.2 How are y'all figuring out the degrees on this lever?
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

have you set up Model A brakes before?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Tiny

Mine lock up no problem I didn't need the board. The trick is getting all the "slack out of the system
Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #8
larrys40

As Tbird stated you will find no mechanical advantage or ability on the lever at 0, so if it is at that point you probably need some restoration and rebuilding of the system. You might think and I'm sure they probably do stop better than they did... but can you lock them up at 45? Do they pull, or fade on a good brake? The cast iron drums do a lot to help firm braking, but restoration of the entire system and attention to detail at each point is what it takes, Welding and machining roller tracks ( I prefer to NOT replace them, but to restore the original tracks). replacing bushings, of course religning, arcing shoes to good drums, all pivot points and pins restored as new. and of course proper adjustment.

Having done many "A" brake jobs and being one of my specialties it is a lot of work... most folks don't really do it all... and of course don't have as good a brake as they could. I recommend if you can get a copy of the Brake rebuilding seminar by Lloyd Kerr " How to Stop on a Dime". It is excellent and shows exactly what to do and what it takes.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
Vanspeed

I took it around the block and hit the brakes hard at about 40 mph and the rear brakes locked up and the car does not swerve or pull, everything was straight. This car is a survivor and I have never been into the brakes because they always worked pretty well. Just this past year the pedal started to go further to the floor. I will open up the front brakes during the winter.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
RonC

The Ford Service Bulletins have a very detailed factory recommended brake adjustment proceedure. It explains how to adjust the brake rods
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
wmws
BANNED

Locking up the rear brakes is easy. It is locking up the front or nearly locking them that will really stop the car. The 15 degrees forward angel on the front lever is so any slop or movement between the shoes and the drum will still not let the lever go past 0 degrees or vertical. Vertical is where you would get maximum mechanical advantage. Try really pushing hard on the peddle. If the lever does not go past vertical your good.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Barber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
have you set up Model A brakes before?
If you're talking to me Tbird, yes. I just completely rebuilt my whole system. Roller tracks and all. I loosely tightened things up enough for them to work while I move my chassis around but the body is not yet installed on the frame. I'll do the correct adjustments once it is all assembled. I know what lever y'all are referring to now.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
Patrick L.

I'm one that uses a brake board.
I see no mention of just how the brakes were adjusted.
First the wedges need to be adjusted so the brakes drag ever so slightly. [ Then I leave them alone]
Second I adjust the rods to get the adjustments on each wheel where I want it.
So, if that is what has been done, then it sounds as if the fronts should be brought up a little more. And, again, I do that with the rod length. That may also help with your 0º issue.
I don't have a big problem with the arms going to 0º, but, not back any farther than that. But, they really shouldn't go that far. They should go from the 15º to the 10º-05º range when fully applied.
How far are the rear arms moving ? From what you say it appears they are going from 15º to about the 10º range. The fronts should be fairly close to that.
I hate to say this, but, I'm compelled. When doing this the car needs to be supported by the axle and not the frame.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote