Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Can a purist safely drive an originally equipped Model "A" in modern traffic?
Yes 56 59.57%
No 38 40.43%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #21
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Poll Re Driving Original Model "A"

My rule of thumb is if I live in a place that I can't safely drive a pre-war Ford for fear of my life, it's time to find a better place to live. There are options.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #22
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Is it possible for a purist to safely drive an originally configured Model "A" in modern traffic?
Yes or no? I say no. As a minimum, a safe Model "A" needs to have more visible running and brake lights, and turn signals.
I agree with Bob
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #23
AL in NY

I agree with reply #1 also. Most of the younger drivers don't know what handle signals mean. You definitely need two taillights with bright LED bulbs and turn signals front and rear to safely drive in today traffic. Side mounted mirrors are a necessity also. You also need to do the speed limit on secondary roads (ie 45 to 55 MPH).

Last edited by AL in NY; 12-01-2023 at 01:52 PM.
AL in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Most of the younger drivers don't know what handle signals mean.
In Southern California, the younger driver should know what the hand signals mean. Before my son could take his drivers test, the inspector asked him to demonstrate hand signals, among other things. While waiting for him, I observed all of the inspectors asking for demonstrations, young and old.

IMO, there is no reason why drivers don't know hand signals. Now, if they use them or not, is another story. But most drivers don't use turn signals anyway...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-01-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:08 PM   #25
Kurt in NJ

If you drive fast enough you don’t have to worry as much about what is behind you, I usually drive with traffic up to 65
The lights on modern cars are getting hard to see when the sun is at a angle to them with the lights with a clear plastic cover.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #26
ModelA29

Bottom line - be careful out there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t crash.jpg (19.5 KB, 56 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:42 PM   #27
Bill G

I voted yes. The one thing that I was hesitant about were turn signals, but I drove ours quite a while before equipping it with turn signals and a right-hand tail light. I live in a mainly rural area and I avoid the interstates. If I lived in Seattle, I would probably have answered no.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:52 AM   #28
nkaminar

I am back in the Great State of Wilkes, Wilkes county in North Carolina. Traffic is much easier here than San Jose. The battery maintainer on my car indicates that the battery is fully charged after being away for more than two weeks so I will take the car out for a drive today. I am not saying that there are not aggressive drivers here, there are, but not to the same degree as in the big cities. Happy to be home. Got a fire going in the fireplace this morning as it was in the 20's outside.

I worked on a stock 29 Fordor for a client and drove it around here for a couple days. It was OK but I really missed the safety things that my 30 has, such as turn indicators and side mirrors.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:13 AM   #29
The Master Cylinder

Depends on what you consider "Purist". I see some that claim purist but have turn signals, second tail light, outside mirrors, etc.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #30
Chuck Kuntz

I recently had my 2015 Honda Accord rearended and totalled. If I had been in any one of my Model A's I would not be here today. I must admit I still drive by 31 pickup locally but that's a decision for the individual to make.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:25 PM   #31
Ivan in southeast va.

I try to avoid driving behind modern cars that don't have all three brake lights working. Model A's should have three as well.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #32
mngrant

Gentlemen,

My vote was a no. Overall we all assume the risk of driving our cars. I have had four different Model A’s since age 15. I am now 77 and own a 1930 Roadster. Each time my car is driven, I choose what road has less traffic and lower posted speeds. The Model A does not have the design crush to protect occupants. Even taking care to protect ourselves, it’s usually the other guy. Be safe my friends.
mngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #33
mngrant

Gentlemen,

My vote was a no. Overall we all assume the risk of driving our cars. I have had four different Model A’s since age 15. I am now 77 and own a 1930 Roadster. Each time my car is driven, I choose what road has less traffic and lower posted speeds. The Model A does not have the design crush to protect occupants. Even taking care to protect ourselves, it’s usually the other guy. Be safe my friends.
mngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #34
Rene R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kuntz View Post
I recently had my 2015 Honda Accord rearended and totalled.
For many years I ran a small business working from home. Every day I needed to drive to the nearby post office, on quiet town streets, to drop off and pick up mail. In good weather, I always drove my '28 Fordor. One day in 2009 I was in a hurry so I opted to just take my Honda. Like Chuck, I was rear-ended. I was at a well-marked intersection when a driver in a Dodge Ram plowed into me. She was looking at her phone and never even saw me, and didn't brake. So I was at a dead stop when she hit me at 35mph. The impact pushed my car about 25 feet over the sidewalk. My car was totaled and I was seriously injured. If I'd been in the Model A as I normally would, well, I hate to picture that.

A few years later, half a block from my house (on a VERY quiet suburban street) my wife was T-boned by a delivery van that ran a stop sign at a minor cross street. Her RAV-4 was totaled, as was the van, but fortunately no one was injured -- thanks to airbags and crumple zones. I couldn't stop thinking about what would have happened if it had been me, in the Ford.

It's sad to say, but those two incidents left me so spooked that I became paranoid driving the Ford on even the quietest streets. So it sat in the garage most of the time, whereas for years I had loved driving it pretty much everywhere but the freeway. I finally decided it was time to let go.

I miss the hell out of that car, and previous ones, but the roads are getting less safe every day. Now I enjoy antique cars vicariously.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #35
springerpete

It all depends on where you live/where you are driving. I live in rural Maine and do not drive in rain storms and do not drive at night. I put on 1100-1200 miles a year. I can safely drive wherever I wish with no problems ( including lots of lobster lunches to the coast ) Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #36
JayJay

At least where I live, we have more and more drivers of less and less competence. Driver's Ed, which used to be mandatory to graduate high school, left the public curriculum many years ago when schools decided that it was more important to graduate college students than productive members of society. Now if you are 18 years old, at least in California, you don't need any formal Driver's Ed training, either classroom or practical. And that allows crappy drivers to get licensed if they can somehow manage to pass the DMV exam. Or, just not bother to get a license.

Funny story, I attended my 50th high school reunion a couple of years ago and met up with a woman who gushed about how she fondly remembered me from sharing a car during Driver's Ed. (I didn't remember her...).

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #37
Bruce of MN

“graduate college students than productive members of society. ”

Pretty funny!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #38
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
At least where I live, we have more and more drivers of less and less competence. Driver's Ed, which used to be mandatory to graduate high school, left the public curriculum many years ago when schools decided that it was more important to graduate college students than productive members of society. Now if you are 18 years old, at least in California, you don't need any formal Driver's Ed training, either classroom or practical. And that allows crappy drivers to get licensed if they can somehow manage to pass the DMV exam. Or, just not bother to get a license.

Funny story, I attended my 50th high school reunion a couple of years ago and met up with a woman who gushed about how she fondly remembered me from sharing a car during Driver's Ed. (I didn't remember her...).
True the Drivers ED is gone from High School, but you must have a minimum number of hours from a formal driving school. I just went thru this with my Son last year, he got his permit and then I had to teach him to drive. He passed the license test and is driving but not what or how he learned to pass his test. The problem I see is in the lessons taught.

J
Old 12-08-2023, 09:33 PM   #39
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
The problem I see is in the lessons taught.
I know from observation a lot of the DE teachers would fail the beginner's course at the Bondurant school.

It is difficult to teach people anything when their age matches their IQ.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:27 PM   #40
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
True the Drivers ED is gone from High School, but you must have a minimum number of hours from a formal driving school.

J
I believe that only applies to under 18 years old, at least here in the Golden State. My son spent quite a few years overseas in high school and in college, and as a consequence was 20 years old before he got around to driving. He had a buddy of his teach him how to drive at school. I offered to spring for formal driving school for him, but he was confident his buddy was OK. Turned out - not so much, and he failed the first time through the DMV driving test. Humility is a rare but good thing in 20 year old young men.

After that somewhat inauspicious start he now makes a very good living as a forensic engineering consultant and expert witness, analyzing accidents (mostly traffic).

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote