Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Covid excuse to play hookey

Edit: Hey if this makes no sense look up thread '40 front fenders'......Got my second vaccine shot yesterday, told all the good folks waiting patiently for their furniture stuff I had to 'recuperate'. Finally I had two days off to get my modified bed onto my mongrel toyota landcruiser chassis. Yes, I have to come clean to the purists, I had to make some wheel house tubs because a 42-47 bed is too wide for the track width. But I have known that forever as I have planned this out for at least 25 years. I had a couple of galvanized boat trailer fenders sitting around so I split one down the middle. Nice radiused corner. Had a straight gym locker door with a perfect 90 degree flange which made two 'half moon' pieces to fill in the arches. To fit the 1/2 ton jailbar bed to the Japanese chassis I fabbed up a 'ladder ' type affair. A subframe that mates two different worlds together.. Picture a couple of 6 1/2' pieces of 1 x 2 heavy wall rectangular tubing on edge, 42 1/2 " apart running fore and aft. Same material running thwartship across them, but on the flat. . About 2' centers. 1/2" coupling nuts (for allthread) welded to this subframe at the toyota chassis factory mounts. My kid picked it up with the old Case and it bolted right on. :Pretty good two days and hey, lookie that ,now it's the weekend. Some may look at this project as some kind of half assed ratrod, but I assure you no navajo blankets were used on the seats, no hand grenades for the shifter. No whitewalls of any width, no red wheels, no flat black anywhere, and best of all not a single skull and crossbones or spider web anywhere. I just like making stuff with what I have on hand. BTW, IHC 3/4 ton rear fenders. Funny how much they match the paint on the ford bed that came from 150 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nf2.JPG (106.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg rf subframe paint.jpg (101.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg rf bedf ht at controls.jpg (118.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg rf ht house behind.jpg (119.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg rf bed finalized.jpg (104.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg GBS intl fenders good.JPG (132.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg gbs intl fenders three quarter front.JPG (142.9 KB, 222 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-19-2021 at 11:26 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:00 AM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

She looks like a goer bub !!!!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
corvette8n

Interesting project, keep the pictures coming.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
51504bat

What, no highway signs for floor boards? Lol. Seriously looking good. You must be related to the guy who put the Studebaker bed on my '39 p/u back in the day.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
T Scott

"thwartship" Your boatbuilding past is showing both in verbiage and your creativity.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
PeteVS

Love the things you do! (Did you ever get a video of the log skidded in operation?)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Love the things you do! (Did you ever get a video of the log skidded in operation?)
No, but I bought 5 gallons of gas to put in it on the way home from town today. This afternoon I completed the floor framing on my latest contraption by welding a perimeter frame of 1 x 2 rectangular that the 3/4" plywood floor drops into. I am using the jailbar seat riser screwed onto the plywood floor with two fj 40 landcruiser bucket seats from the sixties on their factory slides. It has been assembled once already and taken apart for welding and paint. I think I used about a gallon of various oil based paints under the bed. Mopped it on with a 4" brush. Friday was sunny and very windy, what my dad called 'a good painting day'.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
Tinker

We have been doing the vaccine dance here. Who has it or whatever. Still doing stuff. Next week I'm inline for my first, and happy about it. I'm not worried about bill gates or the some weird gov thing. I have a cell phone, all the tracking is built in. hahaha just kidding. Science is good. Both of my elderly parents got it a month ago and they didn't turn into lizards. Cool stuff GB!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
We have been doing the vaccine dance here. Who has it or whatever. Still doing stuff. Next week I'm inline for my first, and happy about it. I'm not worried about bill gates or the some weird gov thing. I have a cell phone, all the tracking is built in. hahaha just kidding. Science is good. Both of my elderly parents got it a month ago and they didn't turn into lizards. Cool stuff GB!
I tricked the vaccine trackers by wearing my tinfoil hat into the clinic. And thank you all for your nice comments.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
KDL

The truck is sure to be cool but the pencil sketch is a work of art.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
McMimmcs

the man obviously has many talents ! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
'36 5W

Good golly, Miss Molly; you may be ON to something here!
(Just ignore the purists...)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #13
GB SISSON

I don't think I have ever seen or read of old ford (or chevy)sheet metal set on a japanese 4x4 before. These landcruisers are a very rugged and dependable vehicle. They also have a narrow, boxed ladder frame and a track width about like most prewar stuff. PS, PDB, 3.73 gears, inline six. The axle shafts are about 20% larger in diameter than my 92 f350's. I see a lot of folks using s10 and ranger stuff, but as I have so often stated, I like to use up all the junk I have collected over the years, so my kids don't have to scrap it later.. I have the back of a shed and an attic full of landcruiser stuff, and even more early ford truck parts scattered about. After all this time I think it was inevitable that these parts would comingle in the hayloft one night and produce offspring.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #14
Art Newland

HOT RODDER!!!

I like it. 8^)

Is that the in-line six that's a copy of the Chevy stovebolt?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
HOT RODDER!!!

I like it. 8^)

Is that the in-line six that's a copy of the Chevy stovebolt?

Very similar if not an exact copy. The early Datsun non overhead cam engines were a pretty close copy of the MG 1500's like those in MGA's. But the Datusn ones didn't leak oil.

Last edited by 51504bat; 03-25-2021 at 10:00 AM.
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Yes, a metric stovebolt. At 195,000 miles untouched, there is not the slightest trace of a drip of any kind of fluid under this project truck. I get it though... The Goldwing guys have said this about Harleys for years.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #17
Tinker

My sister and brother in law are near you. Had an old toyota 80s stump climber, I wish I could have got from them. Had a 80's datson 210 hatch when I was in colorado in 92. Wish I had that too. My old trd 99 3.5 liter 6 would smoke trucks off the line.

None of this is flatheads. Go figure why I care about this one.

Goldwings were big uncool bikes. Harley is a harley even under AMC. Like a fleathead if you worry about a drip of oil, well who cares it happens.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #18
GB SISSON

Well now it's Friday and so I worked a half day... The second half. This morning I got the parking brake assembly mounted and functional. These Toyotas have the parking brake, which has internal expanding shoes mounted on the rear of the transfer case. I counted 30 actual pieces to assemble in position to activate this drum brake. OR buy a 30-31 model A parking brake assembly for 95 bucks on Ebay to expand those shoes. I fabbed up a rather complex bracket (in yellow) to adapt the model A lever to the side of the toyota's 4 speed tranny.. Fully adjustable in all directions, and with all partys rebuilt it takes the first two clicks to lock up the mechanism. Hoping to call a few pals by tomorrow afternoon to set the front clip back on and pull this jalopy outa the shed ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A PB good.JPG (137.6 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg fuzzxy PB.JPG (116.9 KB, 672 views)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I fabbed up a rather complex bracket (in yellow) to adapt the model A lever to the side of the toyota's 4 speed tranny.. Fully adjustable in all directions, and with all parts rebuilt it takes the first two clicks to lock up the mechanism.....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Sorry about that out of focus second photo. Not sure if there's a pic of this rig with the front clip on. I now also have the front factory bumper attached. It has not had the bed and front clip on at the same time so hopefully this weekend that will happen. In my pencil sketch you see a tubular bar with a 90 degree bend at the seat. I have some old hand-rail sections from a church remodel I did in Seattle about ten years ago. They should fit the bill. Another reason to never throw anything away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota jailbar from side.jpg (81.9 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg nice front quarter.jpg (101.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg churchpipe.JPG (167.1 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-02-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #21
petehoovie

Quote:
Sorry about that out of focus second photo. Not sure if there's a pic of this rig with the front clip on. I now also have the front factory bumper attached. It has not had the bed and front clip on at the same time so hopefully this weekend that will happen. In my pencil sketch you see a tubular bar with a 90 degree bend at the seat. I have some old hand-rail sections from a church remodel I did in Seattle about ten years ago. They should fit the bill. Another reason to never throw anything away.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Well, the front clip is still off because I continue to fine tune the engine and engine bay, but that doesn't mean I can't continue to improve the rest of the vehicle. A fellow Washington barner had the tailgate I needed and though his health is an issue right now, he reached out with a really friendly price on a tailgate he wasn't going to use. He lives on the Wa. mainland, as most Washingtonians, do and my wife and I are finally vaccinated and were going off the island for our anniversary. We had an extremely memorable visit with a fellow barner along with driving in the rain in his model A. My entire adult life has been punctuated with the amazing side trips that happen only because I am a lover of old fords and antiquities in general. A trip to the mainland that involved just saving $ at costco, a doctor visit and new glasses would be soooo boring if we did not also visit with a fellow enthusiast. My hat is off to the great folks who love our old fords and continue to house, feed and love them!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 1.JPG (176.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg PT 2.JPG (143.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg PT 3.JPG (156.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg PT 4.JPG (127.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #23
PeteVS

The tailgate looks so nicely done. So, will you A: Bring the rest of the truck up to a matching level, or. B: Beat the tailgate down a stage or two, or. C:Not worry about it?
Old 04-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #24
Graeme / New Zealand

Love it GB! The pencil sketch looks like something our boys used in the Western Desert during WWII.

Graeme.

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #25
GB SISSON

It's Saturday and not raining so I played with the faded blue paint on the front clip, well what I mean is I started painting on the bed to match thje faded blue front clip... I really wanted to install the front clip today, but I find I need to fix an intake manifold leak and that is sooooooo much easier with all the front sheet metal off. The gasket should be here on Wednesday and it's like 65 degrees all week, so next weekend should be all good. This afternoon I drove it up some very steep inclines, maybe a video of such tomorrow. The tailgate will be a convincing faded blue to match the front clip. If I could be so bold as to make up a story about this build it would be an ex military rig sold after ww2 as surplus and used on a ranch. Of course the new owner painted over the OD paint with some blue he had. In my younger years I had occasion to drive various surplus willys jeeps. None of them retained their OD paint. On one jobsite it was brush painted gray, the other yellow.....
Old 04-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Playing with the blue....And yes I agree it looks like it's been through a war. From what I've read it was a helluva war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fordcruiser fender blue.JPG (109.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:35 AM   #27
Tinker

I like blue. I like the muted dark front end blue better. A lite grey is classic work truck. Paint it coral pink, I bet no one will forget it for 50 miles around. haha

Last edited by Tinker; 04-12-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I like blue. I like the muted dark front end blue better. A lite grey is classic work truck. Paint it coral pink, I bet no one will forget it for 50 miles around. haha
I have always liked grey trucks too, but I don't think it goes well with the tacoma cream trim. The blue paint on that fender is from the batch I mixed up and painted the grille/headlight panel with in the second pic down on this page. It is primarily Ace Hardware horizon blue, their flat grey primer and some rustoleum flat white. It also got a splash of hunter green and flat black and of course a fistful of baking powder. I have lots of partial quart cans of paint stacked up on shelves.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:59 AM   #29
PeteVS

Quote:
and of course a fistful of baking powder.
Is this for flattering? Baking POWDER or baking SODA?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Baking powder for flattening, baking soda for flatulence. I learned many years ago that baking powder makes a good flattening agent. I have since seen mention that the paste we stir up on flat oil based paint is talc, so I'm thinking gold bond or baby powder would do the trick as well. Also, today I found the blue paint can from Ace Hardware that I started my current mix with and it's not horizon blue, it's their tractor and implement enamel and color is 'International Blue'. It is considerably darker than horizon blue.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #31
PeteVS

Quote:
Baking powder for flattening, baking soda for flatulence. I learned many years ago that baking powder makes a good flattening agent. I have since seen mention that the paste we stir up on flat oil based paint is talc, so I'm thinking gold bond or baby powder would do the trick as well. Also, today I found the blue paint can from Ace Hardware that I started my current mix with and it's not horizon blue, it's their tractor and implement enamel and color is 'International Blue'. It is considerably darker than horizon blue.
Thanks! I once asked an auto paint shop if they had a "flattening agent." They said they didn't have it but it was "very expensive."
Old 04-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #32
GB SISSON

A friend told me about a company called 'hotrod flats' or flatz... I just never paint a vehicle with one can or one tone of paint. The horizontal parts like the roof and hood are always more weathered than the doors except where your arm hangs out, or the crowns of the fenders where you lay on them to work on the engine and that's sort of shiny. You just have to get creative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rav 2.JPG (167.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg rav 3.JPG (165.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg rav 5 good.JPG (174.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Not so much of a fan of all the orange parts involved, so I busted out some gray primer and a brush this afternoon. Also a makeshift spare tire location and continue to work on the 'cab' ok, passenger/driver area. It now has a tool storage area behind the seat, and more subtle changes. It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getting grey primer 1.JPG (119.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg getting gray primer 2.JPG (142.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg gray primer 3.JPG (138.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #34
tubman

My advice is to keep on going at it. Here in North Central Minnesota, we've had snow 6 of the last 10 days and it didn't get above freezing until 2 PM today.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:06 PM   #35
cas3

Back when I had a TV, that Ricks restorations guy used corn starch to flatten paint. Years ago I bought a can of the real stuff at the paint store, then next time I asked they said no such thing! well, corn starch or baking powder sounds good to me !

Last edited by cas3; 04-20-2021 at 11:07 PM. Reason: change
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #36
petehoovie

Quote:
Not so much of a fan of all the orange parts involved, so I busted out some gray primer and a brush this afternoon. Also a makeshift spare tire location and continue to work on the 'cab' ok, passenger/driver area. It now has a tool storage area behind the seat, and more subtle changes. It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-21-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #37
PeteVS

Quote:
It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......
I hope your paying customers aren't reading FordBarn...
Old 04-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #38
GB SISSON

My customers read the New Yorker. This toyota bumper is something I want to keep from my old station wagon. The right hand 'bumberette' was missing so I fabbed one from a piece of light 4x4 angle. last week. Then today I installed a model A duo lamp for a brake light and worked up a rear view mirror. Then went for a couple mile tour around the East end of the island. I'm thinking I will get a license plate before I head into town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper 1.JPG (124.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper 4.JPG (126.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg bumper 8.JPG (167.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 1.JPG (155.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 2.JPG (112.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 3.JPG (119.2 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #39
PeteVS

Chipper's goggles? I think I need a pair!
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Chipper's goggles? I think I need a pair!
Unscrewed the caps and pulled the dark green lenses. Could see pretty well after that.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #41
petehoovie

Quote:
Unscrewed the caps and pulled the dark green lenses. Could see pretty well after that.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #42
GB SISSON

Well, there is just no stopping me... front clip/fenders on and so far spent the Memorial Day weekend building running board brackets and boards for my jalopy. I have been cutting old stuff up for patch panels and going through stacks of cuttoff wheels with the grit and sparks.... I sold my boat last weekend and since it was a sought after 'classic' it started a bidding war. Got way more than enough extra to buy a plasma cutter, just fron the extra part. Been researching plasma cutters tonight. OH wait I haven't uploaded the pics yet.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GI can cut up.jpg (140.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg GI can fender.jpg (119.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Memorial day sheet metal.jpg (150.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #44
Tinker

Such a great picture dude!

Pete got banned again... farts. Hope he is okayed back soonish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 9.31.26 PM.jpg (18.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #45
GB SISSON

What a shame he got banned. He actually has a sense of humor. Many others here also do, but not all.....
Old 05-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #46
cas3

Oh my god.. the horror! sacrificing a GI gas can... hope it wasn't a ww2 date on it! Just kidding GB, you're creativity is a model of perfection. carry on private
Old 05-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #47
Tinker

Humor is a projection of self reflection. Like art, Some don't agree. but.. I don't know the reason.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #48
GB SISSON

An old friend brought me 3 GI cans her dad used all through her childhood. Two were good and this one showed pinholes when looking at the sun. The other two are used for drain oil befor I take it to the recycle shed at the dump. No serial number I saw, but a 'US' stamping.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #49
cas3

Usually they are dated...on the bottom if I remember
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #50
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Usually they are dated...on the bottom if I remember
I can see it now.... Dec 7 1941 or June 6 1944..... I will look in the morning
Old 05-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #51
flatford8

Is that duct tape on your shirt sleeve????......are you sure you ain’t from over here??????....... Mark..from way over here!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BAB12BD7-07EC-4442-B6EF-57D8EF370D99.jpeg (28.8 KB, 27 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 05-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #52
GB SISSON

There wasn't enough wool left on the cuff to accept stitches for a button. I sort of am from 'over there'. My folks were born in New Bedford Ma and Mattapoisett Ma. They moved to Seattle in '47 and when I was 14 in '67 my dad moved the family back East. I worked in a boatyard on Mt Desert Island after HS and soon after found my way back to my home state of Washington. There are a bunch of Sissons in SE Mass and Rhode Island, mostly inland. My Dad always said we were 'Swamp Yankees'.....Perhaps that's why I NEVER throw anything away.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #53
cas3

Whats wrong with duct tape? probably more comfortable than using a rubber bungi cord for a belt on pants that want to fall off...of coarse, i dont know anyone who would do that...
Old 06-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #54
flatford8

My point was, that's a coat and jacket repair that is seen around here 8 months a year.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #55
GB SISSON

The date was in '52, been two days now so I forget day and month. I cut up an old school locker door for the other side fender extension. The GI can didn't yield enough metal for two. The tape was a huge improvement over the flapping cuff. It's Gorrilla Tape and it makes pretty good upholstery too.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Tonight we took an excursion out to an old resort on the island. It was hot for us like 85! We drove about 35 mph , but 45 on the straightaways. So far the fuel tank is an old galvanized 5 gal gas can with pickup tube soldered into the pour spout. We only ran out of gas once, and my wife's son was on his way home from a logging operation and he had a couple gallons of chainsaw mix which got us to the gas station. What are the chances? I have made up a cardboard mockup of a roadster type V windshield that will be the next project. I still have less than 2 grand into my 4wd RPU and it is a lot of bang for the buck. Sometimes I don't want a windshield.......The last two pics are us underway at high speed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ros 1.jpg (157.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ros 2.jpg (189.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ros 3.jpg (129.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Ros 4.jpg (55.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Ros 6.jpg (51.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:05 AM   #57
cas3

Some guys get to have all the fun! "sometimes I dont want a windshield" totally agree, why not a fold down like your wife's fj40, or a jeep?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #58
GB SISSON

Quote:
Some guys get to have all the fun! "sometimes I dont want a windshield" totally agree, why not a fold down like your wife's fj40, or a jeep?
Leaning that way..... As for the gas tank I have been working on the 17 gal that fits between the frame rails.... This pic is why I tend to run out... Picture it, 12 miles to the closest gas statiion. So 24 mile round trip... Tank is half done. With the hot weather we keep going out to cool off. The island is 75 sq miles and two gas stations.. Do the math, we are gonna run out again.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 gal gas tank.jpg (114.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #59
slowforty

if there is a junkyard around. try a tank from an aerostar ford minivan, the tank is plastic and has a fuel pump in it. holds about 15 gallons
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #60
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
if there is a junkyard around. try a tank from an aerostar ford minivan, the tank is plastic and has a fuel pump in it. holds about 15 gallons

Thanks, but I have a 17 gallon aluminum tank already. It fits between the frame rails but I'm thinking of a wooden box at the front of the bed. This would also give me some storage space for tools etc. Then I'd put the spare in it's original place under the bed. There is a factory chain hoist mechanism there. My tank has 3 male flare fittings, a sender and a fill cap. In my research I have determined the 3 fittings are called 8an fittings. I have ordered 90 degree fittings to hose.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #61
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post

When I first got the '40 1 1/2 ton that I used to have I used a metal auxiliary tank out of a Boston Whaler. About 15 gallons IIRC. Had mounting tabs to bolt it to the floor as well as a gas gauge built into the tank. Should be able to find something like that on an island.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #62
GB SISSON

My son and I drove the Foyota to town this afternoon to finish a bunch of trim and cabinetry we did at the new outdoor clothing store there. As we were loading up the truck my 27 year old son said " Dad, you sure we wanna run the jalopy into town for this job ? We really don't look that professional showing up in this thing"...... He could not have beem more wrong. I spent all afternoon with the tourists (and locals) that wanted to hear all about this contraption. I had a blast and he did all the trim and cutting and fitting to complete the job.... Sure dinner was cold at 7:30, but we finalized the job and will invoice them in the morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working in town 2.jpg (124.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg working in town 1.jpg (137.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #63
PeteVS

I read the sign. Ha! Real "active islanders" wear jackets with the cuffs taped up!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #64
51504bat

Quote:
My son and I drove the Foyota to town this afternoon to finish a bunch of trim and cabinetry we did at the new outdoor clothing store there. As we were loading up the truck my 27 year old son said " Dad, you sure we wanna run the jalopy into town for this job ? We really don't look that professional showing up in this thing"...... He could not have beem more wrong. I spent all afternoon with the tourists (and locals) that wanted to hear all about this contraption. I had a blast and he did all the trim and cutting and fitting to complete the job.... Sure dinner was cold at 7:30, but we finalized the job and will invoice them in the morning!

GB, Just consider it some more OJT for the young'em under the watchful eye of the master.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #65
GB SISSON

I still haven't built that windshield, but here is a sort of roadster type I mocked up in scrap plywood. In steel I would radius the upper corners a bit. I envision the frame made from 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel strap inner and outer sections the same. Around the perimeter is 3/8" key stock tacked to one side. In the center of the strap a row of carriage bolts to draw the two halves together, pinching the 1/4" safety glass in with glass sealing tape or a u shaped rubber strip as cushion. It would have the feel of something in the realm of WW2 bomber windscreen , the carriage bolts adding to the look. Painted black for now.

Every now and then I think of painting this thing completely in flat desert tan with some stencils here and there. Couldn't find a better paint scheme to hide the bumps, dings and patches, and I bet it would look really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plywood windshield mockup.jpg (147.3 KB, 217 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 01:22 AM   #66
neilp

I like your truck and your location.

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:48 AM   #67
mercman from oz

Fun Ford Jail-Bar Pick-Up by GB SISSON
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #68
sugarmaker

Gb,
Sure looks like something I would drive and enjoy also! Thank you for keeping us up to date on the jailbar build! Yea taking it to town was a good thing!
You do a great job of building things!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #69
mfirth

Neat stuff Pete & GB. Thanks ! Keep on truck'n.....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #70
GB SISSON

Uncovered these photos today of a month long trip taken in this toyota when it was a landcruiser back in 1993. 3300 miles towing our 1966 Aloha Travel trailer to Disneyland, Death Valley, Jerome AZ, and the Grand Canyon with 3 kids in the back seat. Had 600 bucks in cash (from the sale of a worn out farmall tractor) under the front floor mat for gas. Had 60.00 left upon our return. In the trailer were supplies for a month including a 50 lb sack of oatmeal for breakfasts, sandwhich fixins for lunch at rest stops and municiple parks, and the dinners were home (trailer) cooked at our campground. We never got a motel and had one meal out. A Wendys!
The wagon was quite heavy and had 3.73 axles and 32" dia, 235 86r 16s on non USA toyota six lug split rims sourced from a wrecking yard in Whiterock BC. Pretty slow on the hills but we knew it would be and we had a month..... The chassis/engine/drivetrain is still top notch at 195,000 and counting. Last compression test shows numbers are well above what they were when I dragged this thing outa the woods a year ago. Front to rear now: 170, 159, 169,170, 168, 168. Head/pan never off. OK back to the ford sheet metal, I just wanted to show you all that this will be a very capable and road worthy 'jalopy'. Next time we'll ditch the trailer, stay in motels and upgrade to Red Lobster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FV 1.jpg (102.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg FV 2.jpg (120.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg FV 4.jpg (131.9 KB, 165 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #71
Zeke3

GB, thanks for the pictures and the story, sounds like a great vacation and the wagon looks very capable for the trip.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #72
petehoovie

Quote:
Uncovered these photos today of a month long trip taken in this toyota when it was a landcruiser back in 1993. 3300 miles towing our 1966 Aloha Travel trailer to Disneyland, Death Valley, Jerome AZ, and the Grand Canyon with 3 kids in the back seat. Had 600 bucks in cash (from the sale of a worn out farmall tractor) under the front floor mat for gas. Had 60.00 left upon our return. In the trailer were supplies for a month including a 50 lb sack of oatmeal for breakfasts, sandwhich fixins for lunch at rest stops and municiple parks, and the dinners were home (trailer) cooked at our campground. We never got a motel and had one meal out. A Wendys!
The wagon was quite heavy and had 3.73 axles and 32" dia, 235 86r 16s on non USA toyota six lug split rims sourced from a wrecking yard in Whiterock BC. Pretty slow on the hills but we knew it would be and we had a month..... The chassis/engine/drivetrain is still top notch at 195,000 and counting. Last compression test shows numbers are well above what they were when I dragged this thing outa the woods a year ago. Front to rear now: 170, 159, 169,170, 168, 168. Head/pan never off. OK back to the ford sheet metal, I just wanted to show you all that this will be a very capable and road worthy 'jalopy'. Next time we'll ditch the trailer, stay in motels and upgrade to Red Lobster!

Old 11-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #73
cas3

Livin the good life there GB. My brother had a landcruiser wagon like that, let me borrow it for a trip to Colorado in the mid 70's, I felt like a big shot with a 4x4 in the mountains back then
Old 11-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #74
51504bat

Quote:

In the mid '70's a buddy had a similar Landcruiser. He knew it was slow but just didn't know how slow. UNTIL. He was on vacation towing a tent trailer with his family going camping in the Sierra's. Leaving Bishop, CA northbound on US 395 the Sherman grade showed him just how slow the Toyota was. So slow a VW camper van passed him. Needless to say he wasn't shall we say a happy camper. Shortly after that the Landcruiser was traded off.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #75
PeteVS

I have to ask where are the happy kids now a days?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #76
GB SISSON

Left to right at the picnic table... Cole returned to Orcas Island after graduating from U of W and living all over and becoming a wine 'sommelier' sp? He bought 5 acres in the woods and opened a wine shop in town. And now a bistro across the street with morning coffee and wine bar in the afternoons. Me, I get my wine in a box at the gas station. Not only is it cheaper, but I can't see how much I've had. He's 40 years old. Next is Molly, 37 been a 3rd grade teacher in Seattle for 14 years and has a masters degree in elementary ed. Husband is a prosecuting attorney puttin' bad guys away. 3 kids! Next is Sophie at 34 yrs old , she is an insurance broker in downtown Seattle, husband in commercial real estate and they have 2 kids. Next is the EX. She strops by quite often to hear what's up with the kids. Not shown is Herb. He is 27 now, not born at the time of this photo. He hasn't amounted to much as he works for his old 'Pops, making stuff outa wood. We have a good time doing it though.....And since he has good hands and can still see, he does all the mechanican and fixin when stuff breaks. Me, I convinced my math teacher to lie so I could graduate with my HS class. You just had to ask, didn't you?????

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-16-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #77
cas3

I beg to differ GB, I believe Herb is doing just fine by learning wood skills from his dad, the master wood guy. No matter how far "advanced" our crazy world gets, it will still need skilled tradesmen.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #78
GB SISSON

Quote:
I beg to differ GB, I believe Herb is doing just fine by learning wood skills from his dad, the master wood guy. No matter how far "advanced" our crazy world gets, it will still need skilled tradesmen.
And I'd like for you all to know I was being a bit 'tongue in cheek' about Herb. I took a ferry to a neighboring island today to pick up a flatbed full of reclaimed lumber, and he went to the job site here on Orcas and took care of today's details. I am equally proud of all of them!
Old 11-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #79
cas3

GB, of coarse I knew it was some "tongue in cheek", I guess I was thinking more that I support his decision to stay on the Island and work with Dad, as opposed to life in the big city no matter how lucrative it may be. I am a country guy, if you haven't figured that out ! Sorry if I am getting off coarse
Old 11-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #80
GB SISSON

CAS, I totally get that you are a country boy like so many of us. And yes, 'we can survive'. It's gotten so I dread any trip to Seattle. My kids and Grandkids pretty much have to get on the ferry if they want to see us. OK, now we can get back to toyotas, I mean FORDS!
Old 11-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #81
Tinker

Seeing all the younger (I think 20 plus years look like teenagers in my older years) there are quite a few embracing tactile arts. Aka wood working. People will always need chairs, tables, houses. Just need to understand the audience that wants custom stuff that is cool and lasts. I tend to buy things that cost more, but I know will last.

Very few people have those big particle board entertainment centers they bought 5 yrs ago (and if they do it'll probably be the first thing going to the dump when they move). But they probably have an old dresser that was build 50yrs ago. What's more green then that. haha But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-19-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #82
GB SISSON

Rare spell of weather here in coastal Washington state. Been 9 degrees at night and made it up to 14 today. Gonna be a week this way so I busted out the homemade snowplow I made for the skidsteer to plow the road, but this contraption doesn't need no snowplow. Good thing my wife bought me some electric gloves for Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Call for backup 1.jpg (145.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Call for backup 2.jpg (161.5 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #83
cas3

Holy cow, thats quite a hill you live on there. Got strong legs I bet! We are supposed to have a daytime high of -8 later this week, but it will be 80 in my shop
Old 12-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #84
petehoovie

Quote:
Rare spell of weather here in coastal Washington state. Been 9 degrees at night and made it up to 14 today. Gonna be a week this way so I busted out the homemade snowplow I made for the skidsteer to plow the road, but this contraption doesn't need no snowplow. Good thing my wife bought me some electric gloves for Christmas!

Old 12-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #85
GB SISSON

As darkness began to fall on Mt. Pickett I decided not to leave the old girl on the hill so my wife got a couple of pics of me coming out over the top. Now everything is put away and closed up for the night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg up the hill 1.jpg (51.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg up the hill 2.jpg (54.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #86
petehoovie

Quote:
As darkness began to fall on Mt. Pickett I decided not to leave the old girl on the hill so my wife got a couple of pics of me coming out over the top. Now everything is put away and closed up for the night.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #87
51504bat

If this isn't the perfect Christmas card photo I don't know what is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Call for backup 2.jpg (161.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #88
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
If this isn't the perfect Christmas card photo I don't know what is.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #89
PeteVS

Good thing you don't raise goats. They'd all have longer legs on one side than the other. Do you have a good heater in the Fordota?
Old 12-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #90
GB SISSON

This could be a Christmas card too. A friend of my wife's said Gary's lobodomy scar seems to be healing well. Heck, I was under the skidsteer with a heat gun aiming at the diesel and I banged my head....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olf folks home.jpg (41.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #91
GB SISSON

If it had a heater we'd be heating the great outdoors....
Old 12-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #92
GB SISSON

She came in pretty handy this afternoon when my wife's subaru slid off the driveway. The more we tried to straighten out, the more the nose pointed downhill. Rigged a snatch block off the suburban's hitch and tailed it down to the ford bumper on the Foyota. Wife in the Foy backing up and me steering the subaru and it went well as we got all straightened up. Well, the subaru did anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTN RSC 1.jpg (126.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg MTN RSC 2.jpg (136.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg MTN RSC 4.jpg (142.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg MTN RSC 5.jpg (161.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg MTN RSC 6.jpg (153.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #93
petehoovie

Quote:
This could be a Christmas card too. A friend of my wife's said Gary's lobodomy scar seems to be healing well. Heck, I was under the skidsteer with a heat gun aiming at the diesel and I banged my head....

Old 12-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #94
petehoovie

Quote:
She came in pretty handy this afternoon when my wife's subaru slid off the driveway. The more we tried to straighten out, the more the nose pointed downhill. Rigged a snatch block off the suburban's hitch and tailed it down to the ford bumper on the Foyota. Wife in the Foy backing up and me steering the subaru and it went well as we got all straightened up. Well, the subaru did anyhow.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #95
cas3

Man, you are up on the mountain. Thats the ocean off in the distance? Good thing you had a skilled truck driver there to help !
Old 12-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #96
GB SISSON

It's a part of the Puget Sound called Rosario Straits. The view is facing S by SE. In the far distance is NAS Whidbey. We hear the Prowlers/Growlers from here on quiet evenings. The Pacific Ocean is to the West of the Naval Air Station after you pass through the Straits of Juan De Fuca.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:02 AM   #97
Bill

"Home, Home on the range" You know the rest of that tune! Happy New Year to all! Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #98
Sawbones

This build is awesome and I love that you're putting it to work. Thanks for the turn on!
Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #99
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbones View Post
This build is awesome and I love that you're putting it to work. Thanks for the turn on!

You are quite welcome Mr Sawbones. It has been a really fun project and being creative has always been a part of my life. I guess the Foyota is a good example of thinking outside of the box. It isn't a rat rod, a hot rod, a resto mod or a reproduction or a kit car and certainly not a restoration or an off-road vehicle or an 'overlander'. Just a bunch of my good junk that was scattered around on my property fastened together and hammered on. I am hoping to build my roadster windshield before the summer season is upon us and will post some pictures of how I create it. One thing is certain. I won't know how I'm gonna do it til I build it.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:08 PM   #100
51504bat

Quote:
You are quite welcome Mr Sawbones. It has been a really fun project and being creative has always been a part of my life. I guess the Foyota is a good example of thinking outside of the box. It isn't a rat rod, a hot rod, a resto mod or a reproduction or a kit car and certainly not a restoration or an off-road vehicle or an 'overlander'. Just a bunch of my good junk that was scattered around on my property fastened together and hammered on. I am hoping to build my roadster windshield before the summer season is upon us and will post some pictures of how I create it. One thing is certain. I won't know how I'm gonna do it til I build it.

As far as a windshield goes think boat. Should be something in your neck of the woods that you could adapt.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #101
GB SISSON

Finally started the windshield. I'm going with a V type roadster windshield but since I am anything but Boyd Coddington I am trying to stay away from the highly raked, chopped down look we so often see. I love the military flat windshields but I think this old jailbar wreck could use a bit of sportiness. My mind wandered to military aircraft as I love the exposed fasteners around the perimeter on a B-17 and other aircraft. My idea is the angle steel you see in the photos, a band of 3/8" key stock around the outer perimeter and a piece of matching steel strap on the inside. The 3/8 stock allows 1/4" safety glass and glass setting tape each side. 1/4-20 bolts sandwich it all together. I need to determine the height and a gentle curve across the top, two flat planes from the center post or whatever. I might bend an oak strip across and different heights to get a visual. This is a tough call getting this right. Right on a real roadster is one thing. Right on an Australian military rig is another.... Also, angled corners or radiused corners? I welcome photos. Am I opening up a can of worms?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 1.jpg (108.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 2.jpg (113.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 3.jpg (94.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 07-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16 PM   #102
petehoovie

Quote:
Finally started the windshield.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:22 AM   #103
Tinker

Interesting build. Looks like fun!
Old 07-05-2022, 01:08 AM   #104
cas3

I think you are on the right track, 2 piece V'd windshield. Look up some of those old open cab ice cream trucks for ideas. I recently did a thread on the hamb about the price of flat safety glass has doubled and one of the guys gave a nice detailed how to on cutting safety glass. Maybe you have a neighbor with a dead motor home or step van to get some glass for free. I'll post the link tomorrow
Old 07-05-2022, 01:10 AM   #105
Tinker

Some race lexan will work too.

This might get boarder line if you start hanging rats from the mirror or welding chains or shit to things. Looks fun!

Last edited by Tinker; 07-05-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #106
GB SISSON

In the same way that my woodie wagon will never have a surfboard or surf sticker on it, this vehicle won't have any steel spider webs, hand grenade shift knobs, skulls or Navajo blanket seat covers. Both of those themes have been beaten into the ground.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #107
cas3

Here's the thread about cutting safety glass. Towards the bottom of page 1, and into page 2 are the lessons if you want to skip the jibber jabber https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...in-up.1263756/
Old 08-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #108
Tinker

How's this going? I like it.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #109
GB SISSON

Funny you should ask. I finally put 1/4" plexiglass in the frame yesterday afternoon. That's just to get a feel for installing the safety glass I will order soon. I had the plexi left over from making covid sneeze guards for a bunch of stores here. Took it to the 'Vintage Farming Days' show at Lynden Wa last week and it was a real hit. I will get a pic of the windshield with 'glass' in it later today. I decided to go with the perimeter of small through bolts with pan heads to sandwich the glass, as I was indfluenced by the windshield of a B 17 bomber. What might be described as the postwar 'Army Surplus' look. My wife and I took her 83 year old brother and his wife on a tour of the 80 acre show grounds while she stood on the right hand running board. (In low range 4wd.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linden 22 1.jpg (49.5 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-12-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #110
cas3

No rocking chair in the back for granny ?
Old 08-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #111
petehoovie

Quote:
Took it to the 'Vintage Farming Days' show at Lynden Wa last week and it was a real hit. I will get a pic of the windshield with 'glass' in it later today. I decided to go with the perimeter of small through bolts with pan heads to sandwich the glass, as I was indfluenced by the windshield of a B 17 bomber. What might be described as the postwar 'Army Surplus' look. My wife and I took her 83 year old brother and his wife on a tour of the 80 acre show grounds while she stood on the right hand running board. (In low range 4wd.)

Old 08-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #112
RKS.PA

Gary, you sure did a beautiful job on that frame!! Who says woodworking skills aren't transferable!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:46 PM   #113
GB SISSON

Thanks all, here's a few pics from today. Next I have to install a cowl vent setup I got off a parts truck. There is literally a cutout in the firewall around the whole toyota six and the exhaust manifold is inches from my right foot. That was bearable while driving in the 40 mph wind, but now it's is hotter than the hinges of hell so I need the downdraft of the flap in front of the windshield. Then I will create a removeable doghouse and tranny hump with some dyna mat stuck under it. You might see a gray marine engine on some planks I picked up at the meet. 1 cyl, 2 stroke, 1906-1914, about 3 hp. I have a shaft, prop, stuffing box and bronze rudder and skeg that I picked up 20 years ago. Next winter a 16' flat bottomed skiff?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plex 1.jpg (141.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg plex 2.jpg (137.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg plex 3.jpg (133.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg plex 4.jpg (147.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 08-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #114
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks all, here's a few pics from today. Next I have to install a cowl vent setup I got off a parts truck. There is literally a cutout in the firewall around the whole toyota six and the exhaust manifold is inches from my right foot. That was bearable while driving in the 40 mph wind, but now it's is hotter than the hinges of hell so I need the downdraft of the flap in front of the windshield. Then I will create a removeable doghouse and tranny hump with some dyna mat stuck under it. You might see a gray marine engine on some planks I picked up at the meet. 1 cyl, 2 stroke, 1906-1914, about 3 hp. I have a shaft, prop, stuffing box and bronze rudder and skeg that I picked up 20 years ago. Next winter a 16' flat bottomed skiff?????

Old 08-13-2022, 12:41 PM   #115
flatford8

Nice job on the windshield there bud !!.....now you won’t have to buckle the chin strap on your fuzzy hat!!!.....hope all is well....way over there.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 08-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #116
Mart

Can I just add my thumbs up for the windshield frame. Suitably industrial/agricultural/military look to it. It really suits it.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 PM   #117
GB SISSON

With no brim, coupled to the summer heat, my fuzzy earflap hat makes the day way hotter and offered no protection from the summer sun. Add shrimping and crabbing in my kid's boston whaler and my poor old nose was getting a royal sunburn.....Today we spent most of the day on the road in 85 degree sunshine so my wife bought me a wide brim straw hat with a chin strap and it stayed on all day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New straw hat.jpg (48.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-14-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #118
cas3

Good woman, Classy lookin dude !
Old 08-14-2022, 11:44 PM   #119
GB SISSON

Quote:
Good woman, Classy lookin dude !
We work pretty hard at it....... No doubt
Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 AM   #120
petehoovie

Quote:
my wife bought me a wide brim straw hat with a chin strap and it stayed on all day!

Old 08-23-2022, 01:55 AM   #121
Tinker

You're having too much fun, if possible . Love the truck!
Old 08-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #122
51504bat

If you get bored with your current project(s) here is a '41 big truck -since I know you have a soft spot for the '40/'41's. It doesn't have an engine but I'm sure you have one or two growing in the south 40 bone yard. Just up the freeway from me. Let me know if you want me to look it over for yah!

1941 Ford 1.5 ton dump body no engine surface rust only dump body in good shape

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41 dump.jpg (97.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 41 dumpt.jpg (82.6 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #123
petehoovie

Quote:
If you get bored with your current project(s) here is a '41 big truck -since I know you have a soft spot for the '40/'41's. It doesn't have an engine but I'm sure you have one or two growing in the south 40 bone yard. Just up the freeway from me. Let me know if you want me to look it over for yah!

Old 08-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #124
GB SISSON

Quote:

Thanks Pal, but I think I see YOUR name written all over it
Old 08-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #125
cas3

Every growing boy should have a dump truck. I sold my WW2 chevy 1 1/2 ton dump years ago and have regretted it ever since. Got a dump trailer now, but thats kinda boring
Old 08-23-2022, 11:17 PM   #126
GB SISSON

Quote:
Every growing boy should have a dump truck. I sold my WW2 chevy 1 1/2 ton dump years ago and have regretted it ever since. Got a dump trailer now, but thats kinda boring

But it always starts and runs!
Old 12-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #127
GB SISSON

It's 11 degrees here this morning, been like that all week. Not all that cold for some locations, but we are usually very moderate. Our island archepelago is lined up with the outflow of the Fraser River valley in British Columbia. Sometimes the gap through the Cascades allows the frigid air to funnel through and Orcas Island is looking right down the barrel of this cold cannon. Seattle has been in the mostly in the 30s but temps are dropping there next too. Had to take the foyota for a drive in the show. I spent some time with my homemade snow plow and tested out recent repairs and later in the afternoon plowed the 1/2 mile of steep, winding road. Those that have visited have seen what I deal with! Here's a short and rather poor video of the foyota driving in the snow. I have only recently been able to pull up my 'garymtpickett' channel on youtube and post. Turns out I have a gmail acct I never use and that was the key I needed. There's also an 'in cab' video of driving the truck over on the mainland last summer.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HEy3SE7zcX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DGOE6E8l4

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-21-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #128
cas3

Good show GB. Now we have to add " motion picture producer " to your many skills.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #129
Mart

Love the Foyota. It's a useful tool around your little bit of heaven.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #130
GB SISSON

Both of those videos leave a lot to be desired. Now that I can post videos again I want to do 3 better videos with the woodie wagon, the diesel tonner and the foyota. Hey on another note, Does anybody know if it's possible to change the title of a thread? This one is lame and would be hard to 'search' in the future, and the beginning thread about the foyota is called '40 ford front fenders' , which never lined up right so I used the '42-'47 front. Thanks, GB
Old 12-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #131
Mart

Click edit.
Click go advanced.
The title is then editable, but it only edits it in that one post.

The thread title in all the other posts will be as it was.

But you could add pertinent info to the first post. If you edit the first post the updated title appears in the listing.

I just edited my thread title from I know it's warmer here today but Jeez..
to I know it's warmer here today but Jeez... (three dots)

Edit: It would appear any replies made after the title edit will include the edited title.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 12-21-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #132
GB SISSON

The edit button is missing until I get to post 127 then it shows up. Doing this stuff is on par with pulling a tranny because you installed the clutch disc backwards....arrrrgh
Old 12-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #133
Mart

Maybe beyond a certain date you are no longer able to edit.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #134
corvette8n

Hey GB I watched your videos and liked and subscribed to your channel.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:51 PM   #135
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Hey GB I watched your videos and liked and subscribed to your channel.
Wow, Thanks! My son was helping me with something on the channel and said "Hey Dad, you have over 300 subscribers". I didn't even know what a subscriber was....The truck with the most views on my shannel is a shop converted tandem axle civilian dodge power wagon with a big hemi in it. I bought it here on the island and flipped it 3 days later. (the good kind of Flipped).
Old 12-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #136
corvette8n

Quote:

I love the truck, I wish it wasn’t 3000 miles away.