Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
ole_Bill

Angry Trouble with MACs

Last month I tried to order three small items from MACs but while checking out I was quoted a shipping price in excess of $100....WAY steep for the items in my cart. I contacted their customer support and after checking, they agreed the shipping estimate was an error. In the meantime, the sale price I was using (15% off) expired. I called customer support again and asked, since it was their error, not mine, would they honor the original total price on my order. I got a totally sarcastic response and the lady acted like she was shocked that I would ask such a silly question.

Since then I have deleted MACs from the list of suppliers I deal with. MACs understanding of the concept of customer support is seriously deficient in my opinion. Last week I ordered the same items from Speedway and was charged $6.95 shipping.
ole_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Hotrodvideo

Default Re: Trouble with MACs

Their quality has dropped off since they started sending a lot of stuff to China to be made.
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Gumpy

what about the quality of their upholstery and wiring? mines 1940 coupe...lebaron-bonney rather expensive......but usa made......
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
lee34

No trouble with MACS I ordered a glass package for a sedan and was sent all
correct except rear glass was for a coupe and mine was a sedan.I had the order about 6 months before I realized it would not fit.I called them up and explained the situation. No questions asked .Sent correct glass in a couple days NO cost .Was told to keep the wrong one. Mistakes will happen,the problem is when no one will correct mistake.
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
wfritchen

I've been buying from MAC's for 5-6 years and had great service. If you had a bad experience, you should escalate your concerns. Most business owners appreciate the chance to 'make it right' and address service problems. I'm betting that MAC's would rather hear it from you than read it on a board.

Just my two cents.
wfritchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

wfritchen ...........................
He said that he did contact MAC'S first.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
WEEKS 46

You complain about parts from Macs being made in china, but speedways parts are mainly from china and alot of the "new" parts are stolen ideas from a lot of hotrodders. Vern Tardel has been a victim of speedway and there are other accounts that have been been presented on the HAMB about others ideas or designs that have turned up in speedways catalogs with nothing given to the original designer.-Weeks
Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
funrunr

If I find I need to order parts from various suppliers, I will go through Dick Spadaro, I made a purchase from him and told him I didn't want anything from Mac's. No problem! It takes a little longer for him to gather the parts from different vendors and only charges one shipping cost. Great service and very knowledgable.
JMO! Mark
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have been a fan of Mac's for at least 15 years. They bend over backwards to satisfy their customers.

We have China parts because 90% of the people shop "price" only. Most suppliers would be out of business if not for off-shore sourcing.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Frank The Plumber

In the past six months every single supplier has had something negative said about them. In the end if one is to order parts there are accordingly no good suppliers. It would be far better if in the future only posts of positive experiences were placed, there has never been any negative consequences relating to the telling of a positive experience.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole_Bill View Post
Last month I tried to order three small items from MACs but while checking out I was quoted a shipping price in excess of $100....WAY steep for the items in my cart. I contacted their customer support and after checking, they agreed the shipping estimate was an error. In the meantime, the sale price I was using (15% off) expired. I called customer support again and asked, since it was their error, not mine, would they honor the original total price on my order. I got a totally sarcastic response and the lady acted like she was shocked that I would ask such a silly question.

Since then I have deleted MACs from the list of suppliers I deal with. MACs understanding of the concept of customer support is seriously deficient in my opinion. Last week I ordered the same items from Speedway and was charged $6.95 shipping.
Old Bill, last month I ordered $1600.00 worth of parts from Speedway, shipping $6.95 3 big boxes, it was a special for around Christmas, I was surprised, didn 't know anything about. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Charlie ny
BANNED

oB,
I agree with Frank...every major vendor...Carpenter, Drake, Macs
that I've dealt with has had some piece of action go bad. I can say from my
own experience Macs has always rectified a bad situation and never balked
at taking items back if they were in as bought condition. At times I have
had to demand to speak to Randy McIntosh and he has always settled
any issue to my satisfaction.
I just went thru a disaster with Drake and got so much argee bargee
from one of his guys that I just gave up in disgust.
Dealing with Dick Spadaro of course is like dealing with your best
buddy...he da man!
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Rem

I've found when ordering online from Mac's that their shipping cost estimate is based on something like 50% of the parts cost. I'm overseas, and for several years there was no estimated shipping cost quoted, but the actual cost always very reasonable. Then a year or so ago I ordered some parts and their new system gave me this scary-high cost: I decided to risk it anyway, and the actual shipping was back down where I expected it. I guess their system has to put something in for shipping, so maybe they figure it is better to quote high rather than quote low and then find they need to charge more because of a heavy or oversize item?

I have had very few problems or errors with their parts, and although there is a lot of Chinese stuff, careful selection of parts can pay off - rubber parts seem to be the worst as the Chinese just use any old black rubber, and a month exposed to the atmosphere usually turns it to junk.

By the way, I had a batch of Model A / Model B parts from them last week, and out of 15 different things, one was from New Zealand, one from Denmark, three from Taiwan and the remaining ten from the USA, so it's not all as bad as some make out! Or maybe I was just lucky on this lot!
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
roundvalley

After getting screwed twice on shipping chages, they don't get my buisness. They escalated shipping on a 2 Lb. small package from $5 to $11 twice
when submiting the credit card charge.
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
46ford

The shipping is a bit high, but not too much higher than some of the other stuff I've bought. I'm always changing orders, expediting, needing help finding a part, and they have been great. Sometimes I even get it the next day.

Van Pelt's is also great to deal with, by the way. If I get ahold of him early in the day, I sometimes have the parts before the debit hits my bank account!
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
Russ/40

I guess I'll chime in, unlike me on this sort of issue. My Macs experience has been fine from a customer satisfaction standpoint. They seem to ship a bit slower than the other vendors I deal with, and, the percentage of Chinese junk is a bit higher. They use more chinese for model A parts.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
59ab

I have been 100% satisfied with Macs.
59ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
In the past six months every single supplier has had something negative said about them. In the end if one is to order parts there are accordingly no good suppliers. It would be far better if in the future only posts of positive experiences were placed, there has never been any negative consequences relating to the telling of a positive experience.
if you cant tell the true dontsay anything dontsayit
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
JBD

I would tend to agree with the comments about MAC's customer support. I bought fender bolt and running board bolt kits for my 37 ford pickup. The fender bolt kit was great except two bolts on each side needed to be a quarter of an inch longer because the frame was double plated at the front. I called MAC's to let them know that the kit should be changed to make four bolts a quarter of an inch longer. The lady on customer support was very offensive/defensive. All I was doing was trying to help them. I just hung up. What's their problem? Jim Durnil
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
oldford

I like MAC's. Nice parts and pretty good shipping. Only purchase one item from Dick Spadaro and it was his cut to fit drive shaft. Way out of round. Could not use it. Could not send it back because I had already cut on it.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote