Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
billybronco1

Default Towing Model A

Is it a complete no no to tow a Model A with a car dolly rear wheels on the pavement?
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
whirnot

Default Re: Towing Model A

I don't see why it would be a problem.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I don't see why it would be a problem.

I would think the question is how far you are going to tow it. A long distance would seem like a lot of wear on the rear end, speedo cable gears, speedo, tranny, etc.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
billybronco1

I do not plan to take the car too far maybe 25 miles from home and parades. I wanted an option to get it home if for some reason she decided to die. A car dolly is cheaper and smaller to store than a complete all four wheels off the ground trailer. I have been threw this before and many new cars do not want to be towed this way because of lack of lubrication in the tranny probably a whole different story for a Model A.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

it is OK, put the trans in neutral. the 1st gear in the trans splashes oil around and lubes the whole trans. i've flat-towed for many miles.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

My family has flat towed many early fords from the new england/ new york area to NJ with no problems. The driveshaft was left connected.

The more important question is about your state laws and enforcement. Many states have laws requiring braking for anything you tow over certain weights. This has caused people to get tow dollies or use trailers.

I mention the laws as there are various stories by guy who ended up having to pay someone to tow cars after the police stopped them. These laws and enforcement vary widely by state. You can go to a RV website to learn the laws.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

You could always join AAA and have them carry it home for you IF "she decided to die". Solve your storage problem also.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
billybronco1

Well maybe a tow bar is the best solution its even cheaper and takes up a lot less room. Is there something out there one can buy or does it have to be specially made? Can you hook it to the front axle? Do you need to tie or lock the steering wheel or let it do what it wants? A tow bar is a great idea never thought of that. BTW we do have the basic triple A will they will flat bed these cars home with the basic AAA
Old 09-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
31Tudor

I have towed with a tow bar many times. This has come up before on the Barn and everyone has a thought about the matter. The tow bar mounts to the front bumper and I remove the drag link. The car tracks and turns just fine. Don't have to remove anything else. If I recall from a past post someone mentioned their concern over the whole weight of the car basically being pulled by the front bumper clamps, but I use originals and just have not ever had a problem, and that includes towing a car from Washington State to Long Beach CA and back.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I have thousands of miles on my towbars, but I wouldn't tow a Model A by the front bumper. I would remove the bumper clamps and run bolts through the bumper braces. I've never had to remove the steering drag link.

Some time back someone reported the tranny jumped into first gear (or was left in 1st gear) while towing and wiped out the engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
billybronco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
I have towed with a tow bar many times. This has come up before on the Barn and everyone has a thought about the matter. The tow bar mounts to the front bumper and I remove the drag link. The car tracks and turns just fine. Don't have to remove anything else. If I recall from a past post someone mentioned their concern over the whole weight of the car basically being pulled by the front bumper clamps, but I use originals and just have not ever had a problem, and that includes towing a car from Washington State to Long Beach CA and back.
Sounds good to me what kind of tow bar do you have? Has it been modified for the Model A? I assume you hang some lights off the back.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Fullraceflathead

just something to think about.
If you were to Tow hundreds of miles, I wouldn't with the rear wheels on the ground.
Why? Because with the transmission in Neutral and the engine off the only thing turning inside is the mainshaft. All of the gears would be stopped. If no gears are turning there will be No lubrication splashing around to keep the mainshaft lubed. It is possible to have the mainshaft seize with one of the gears not turning. It usually is first gear. I've seen a few Muncie 4 speeds do this over the years.
You would have to be towing several hundred miles before things would get hot I believe.
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
J Franklin

I think the gears on the mainshaft would turn with it but I think the level of the gear lube is below them so oiling is a problem. I have towed with a towbar 800 miles but I overfilled the trans. by removing the tower.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

AAA sounds like a great idea !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
ronn

basic triple A only tows you for a few miles-the deluxe triple A gives you 4 one hundred mile tows a year-a great deal and no worries about carrying around all that equipment.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Tiny

Why not make your car dependable enough to drive? 25 miles isn't very far. Carry a few tools and some spares of items like a distributor. Its a Model A they are a fairly simple car to diagnosis and repair. I can't imagine not being able to take my coupe for a 25 mile drive. We as a collective FordBarn community are here to support you, lets get that car dependable. I do carry a 150 mile tow policy just in case though. Also for flat towing a VW bug tow bar works great, it just need to be notched a little to fit the I beam axle vs the tube that its designed for.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
AAA sounds like a great idea !
Wayne
Better yet, through my antique insurance I added flat bed towing on for just a few extra dollars each year. Up to 50 miles at no charge. Was a no brainer for me.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
DougVieyra

Tiny (post # 17) "Why not make your car dependable enough to drive?"

Sounds nice Tiny. However, I have noticed at the INDY 500 races (and others), that although they have a $150,000 dollar car, and a expertly honed crew of six to-notch 'pit' mechanics - that (somehow) the car is NOT always dependable enough to drive the full measure of the course.

Apparently it has to do with 'the nature of the beast'; 'Murphy's Law', serendipity, 'bad luck', etc., etc.

There is no such thing as a car that is completely dependable. NASA's space program tells us that.

- Doug Vieyra, former astonaught, brain sturgeon, vaudevillian

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-29-2014 at 04:33 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
jetrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
For long distance towing you need a trailer, but if it breaks down a few miles from home you can make a tow bar that you can remove the front bumper and bolt it on. It will fit in a large trunk or a pickup.
I remove the bumper and bolt it to the arms, so you do not put scratches in your chrome and do not have to worry about your clamps breaking.
I had occasion to tow using the bumper brackets and one broke in the first 10 FEET--it was a re pop and I didn't know it! They looked good but how do you tell Ford parts from the really bad--they look the same. The other Ford bracket held and I managed to get it stopped without breaking the car. Beware,
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
DougVieyra

Default Towing Model A

Along about 1970, While pulling up the Priest Grade (the old Stage Coach road & the steepest grade in California) up the old one-lane road crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains from California to Nevada, My friend in his 1925 Chevrolet was resting at the top of the grade, while I, in my 1930 Ford Coupe continued to stuggle up the grade (with my 52 horse powered 'C' engine) .

Upon reaching the top of the grade, with water boiling out the top of my radiator and steam shooting six foot high, my friend walked over with a sack in hand. "Here", he said, as he handed my a 12 foot long 'Tow Rope'. It had been spliced with loops at each end, to attach to each car. He had each loop tagged - one end said 'Chevrolet - Rear'. The other loop had been tagged, "Ford - Front".

We still speak.

- Doug Vieyra, humble servant of two Ford Model A's
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote