Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Terry,NJ

Default Here we go again! Maybe! Oil

Most of you know I'm still kind of new to Mod A.s. And, I like alternative stuff that might be an upgrade, without changing the basic cars. I'm a firm believer that there are better lubricants around today than in 1930 and I won't hesitate to use them. That being said, today I changed/replaced some of the oil in my transmission with Lucas Hub Oil. I drained about half of what I had put in the when I changed the bearings. STP and Lucas Oil Stabiliser.
The car was quieter (seemed smoother) the trans whined a lot less. Shifting was better, less grinding of gears. Generally better performance. Right now, about 7-8 miles later, I'm happy! Ask me again this winter, I may hate it then.
Another issue was put to bed! (At least for me) I did an old test where I put some of the old oil (STP and L.O.S. on the flats (Tapered) of a screwdriver and tried to grip it. It slipped away each time. When I tried it on the round shank of the screwdriver, I could hold it. So the STP and the Lucas product are at least, lubricants! Maybe not oils as we know them, but they have lubricating abilities .
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Here we go again! Maybe! Oil

ANY lubricant today is better then 1930's
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
ford3

one thing I found out about STP is, once you put on metal you cant wipe it off with out some sort of cleaner, lacquer thinner or acetone, using a rag will never get the job done, it just wont wipe off, It sure clings to metal
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
29 Tudor

I used to be a believer in STP until a friend of mine that runs a machine shop told me that when added to the crankcase, a portion of it settles to the bottom of the pan and NEVER "dissolves". He said he had seen it in many motors. Well, when I pulled the pan on my 427, there was 1/4 - 1/2 inch of very sticky "stuff" in the bottom of the pan. I have worked on many engines an never saw that kind of deposit before. Needless to say, I don't use it anymore in the crankcase. I have used it to pre-lube the mains and rods during a rebuild.

SD

Last edited by 29 Tudor; 06-12-2014 at 02:30 PM.
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Willie Krash

I'm still a fan of Lubriplate 288.
Helical gears it seems to me would do better with an oil made for such. Straight cut gears are really levers. The two mating surfaces would be very high pressure on the mating surfaces as opposed to helical.
Helical seem to me to be more sliding in nature, i.e a much larger footprint between the driving and driven gear, more contact surface.
I am not an engineer so I don't know for sure if I have anything right.
I will say SPO288 is slippery and "stringy."
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
eagle

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've used Lucas Hub oil and it works wonderful, makes an amazing difference in the shifting. However, I noticed that it fades as it warms up though, so switched to Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Have had great results with it.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
one thing I found out about STP is, once you put on metal you cant wipe it off with out some sort of cleaner, lacquer thinner or acetone, using a rag will never get the job done, it just wont wipe off, It sure clings to metal
This is what makes STP so great for using in the steering box.
I would not use it in the transmission or rear end.
I am surprised to hear of it settling in the oil pan.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
V4F

i like power punch as an additive for my rear end . .........
Old 06-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Most of you know I'm still kind of new to Mod A.s. And, I like alternative stuff that might be an upgrade, without changing the basic cars. I'm a firm believer that there are better lubricants around today than in 1930 and I won't hesitate to use them. That being said, today I changed/replaced some of the oil in my transmission with Lucas Hub Oil. I drained about half of what I had put in the when I changed the bearings. STP and Lucas Oil Stabiliser.
The car was quieter (seemed smoother) the trans whined a lot less. Shifting was better, less grinding of gears. Generally better performance. Right now, about 7-8 miles later, I'm happy! Ask me again this winter, I may hate it then.
Another issue was put to bed! (At least for me) I did an old test where I put some of the old oil (STP and L.O.S. on the flats (Tapered) of a screwdriver and tried to grip it. It slipped away each time. When I tried it on the round shank of the screwdriver, I could hold it. So the STP and the Lucas product are at least, lubricants! Maybe not oils as we know them, but they have lubricating abilities .
Terry
I don't think there is any question that lubricants are better today than in 1930. That is what research and technology are all about !!??
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
bikejunk

so are you using just Lucas oil stabilizer or is it a mix ?
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Terry,NJ

It is a mix. At first, I was looking for an oil to use in my just "Refreshed" trans. Some guys were using straight STP and I didn't care for that. STP is an additive, not an "oil". Besides, it gets lighter when it's hot, but some guys had combined it with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and seemed to be having good results. So I put about 50/50 STP and L.O.S. in. It was ok, but I was never happy with it. I read up on Hub Oil and liked what I saw, except in the winter when the stuff gets like cement so I decided to leave half of the old lube in and fill it with Hib oil. So far, I'm happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejunk View Post
so are you using just Lucas oil stabilizer or is it a mix ?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Terry,NJ

Yes! That goes without saying , Yet there are some guys who seem to discount this and want to see what Henry used in 1930. Like non detergent oils for instance. About a year ago, I bought an engine that was worn out on ND oil. The screen of the oil pump was 80% clogged with sludge. since the engine was bored .040, it was on it's, probably, second rebuild. Which, Probably means it was running into the fifties and sixties, or even later. Certainly after the advent of detergent oils. But he had to put in what Henry said! How foolish is that?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I don't think there is any question that lubricants are better today than in 1930. That is what research and technology are all about !!??
Wayne
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Mikeinnj

I use Shell 600W Steam Oil in transmission and differential's. Bought a 5 gallon pail, of it in the 1980's and have a lot left.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Terry,NJ

Mike, It's good safe choice. I don't think you will go wrong using it. If I knew where to get it, (other than Brattan's, Mac's, Snyder's etc.) I probably would have gone that route myself. But I'm looking for alternatives that are available without shipping charges.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
I use Shell 600W Steam Oil in transmission and differential's. Bought a 5 gallon pail, of it in the 1980's and have a lot left.