Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2022, 11:50 PM   #261
petehoovie

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Ask, and you shall be givin

Click on Picture to Enlarge

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:40 AM   #262
Lanny

Here's a couple more you'll get a kick out of GB.

A '57 Chevy with a flatty and
a '67 Camaro with a flatty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford Flathead V8 powered '57 Chevy.jpg (40.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Ford Flathead V8 powered Camaro.jpg (39.7 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by Lanny; 04-13-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Lanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #263
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Here's a couple more you'll get a kick out of GB.

A '57 Chevy with a flatty and
a '67 Camaro with a flatty

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #264
GB SISSON

That's what I'm talking about! I'm sure there were some shocked bowtie guys. Heck we have to put up with a lot of very handsome early fords hiding one of those (yawn) sbc under the hood. I spent some time over the weekend working on the green tonner and am concentrating on finalizing everything under the hood while I can still plant my tired hind end on a front tire and turn some wrenches. Today it was stiffening the alternator bracket, altering the slotted adjustment arm for it, new gasket at headpipe to manifold joint, a new and better upper radiator hose I picked from the wall rack at napa yesterday, adjusted choke cable etc, etc. All so easy now. It's not hard to see why so many guys like those fenderless hot rods.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #265
GB SISSON

Well a whole weekend went by without working on big green. Then today the sun was flooding into the face of the red shop, but alas, too busy in the wood shop. I am at a turning point with these impossible to find long pickup running boards. Fix my originals with lots of really deep pits, ok, some are actually holes, or make another set of wood ones like I made for the tonner panel. Painted with rustoleum rusty metal primer they look like nice straight original ones. My plywood delivery come on Wednesday so I gotta decide tomorrow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg running boards in primer.jpg (94.9 KB, 168 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #266
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well a whole weekend went by without working on big green. Then today the sun was flooding into the face of the red shop, but alas, too busy in the wood shop. I am at a turning point with these impossible to find long pickup running boards. Fix my originals with lots of really deep pits, ok, some are actually holes, or make another set of wood ones like I made for the tonner panel. Painted with rustoleum rusty metal primer they look like nice straight original ones. My plywood delivery come on Wednesday so I gotta decide tomorrow.....

Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #267
GB SISSON

Thank you Pete! On the panel truck the body comes right down to the running boards so I made these boards flat. On the pickup the cab and bed are like 3 or 4" above the running boards so you see the concave curve in the running board leading up to the frame top. I think with the pickup I will need this curved section so maybe I quarter a section of 6" pvc or abs pipe and rabbet the running board to accept it flush. I will probably get it dialed in tonight at 3:30 am when my brain is spinning and I am trying to fall back to sleep after my 3:00 pee break. Sheesh, not enough hours in a day.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #268
flatford8

Those are wood !?!?.....how do you the ridges in the top ?.....or is that a trade secret?.....on my ‘37 I have three sets.....the right one is bad on all three sets.....I think I’m going to cut and splice to try and make a good one........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:21 PM   #269
cas3

Shoot...they look pretty darn good to me, whats the problem again?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:23 PM   #270
GB SISSON

3/4 exterior plywood for the most part, 1 1/2" doug fir outside nosing, the ribs are 3/8" wide maple strips with a 3/8 bullnose cutter in my router table. Then a 3/8 straight cutter in the plywood. The maple strips needed to be rounded in the other direction because of the vertical cut in the board. Nothing fit perfect , I did it all on a saturday and epoxied them in, smeared the glue off with a rag and used a quart and a half of rusty primer to fill in any other gaps. Woodworkers LOVE a paint grade project. Best part of all is they are the straightest running boards to exist after 75 years of abuse. Woodworking tools prefer to go straight down the board.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:53 PM   #271
cas3

"paint grade project" , nice term, I think I'll use that on my 52 jeep thats getting some minor attention this winter. I better get crackin, its almost jeep season here.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:44 AM   #272
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
"paint grade project" , nice term, I think I'll use that on my 52 jeep thats getting some minor attention this winter. I better get crackin, its almost jeep season here.
It's 10:25 here almost time for me to watch Tom T Hall sing 'Old dogs and children and watermellon wine' .And don't even get me started on Charlie Daniels' the devil went down to Georgia. I know this is a strange post... I just deleted most of it.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-12-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:24 PM   #273
flatford8

Turn it up !!!......couple of my favorites.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 04-12-2022, 10:48 PM   #274
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Turn it up !!!......couple of my favorites.......Mark
Great minds think alike... well it's 8:45 here and I ain't as good as I once was so hittin; the hay. Building some pretty epic s#!+ in the wood shop for the mega-yuppies. I wish I was building my wood running boards, but as a wise man once said "If wishes were fishes".....
Old 04-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #275
cas3

Lets see the wood shop projects GB, always fun to see whats happening on the Island !
Old 04-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #276
GB SISSON

Quote:
Lets see the wood shop projects GB, always fun to see whats happening on the Island !
OK, the little doll chair I made last weekend for one of my grandaughter's 4th birthday. One of the hens laid a minature egg last Sunday, so my wife posed this photo. The big door is for a family estate about 2 miles from us on the waterfront. This is the entry door and is a 4-0 x 7-4 door that is 2 1/4" thick. The vertical stiles are 2 outer pieces of 3/4"old doug fir resawn from 3 x 11 floor joists from a 1906 warehouse. The 3/4" core was resawn from 3x12 structural glu-lams. This sandwich is laminated on a 6x6 steel I beam ti insure straight. The inset panels are a mix of species planed to 3/8" and laminated onto both sides of 1/2" marine plywood. This in done in our vacuum press which is a 4x8' heavy vinyl envelope, backed with grooved plywood and a very powerful and heavy vacuum pump assembly. We set it up as needed on our 4 x 8 work table. The door joints are a a spline of the same 1/2" ply and 3/8 x 10" star drive construction lags counterbored for a 3/4" dowel. The hall of doors shows what this big door will look like painted white. The white doors we built 27 of them about 7 years ago for a project on Whidbey island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doll chair with egg.jpg (146.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KJ Door 1.jpg (136.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KJ Door 2.jpg (127.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Mutiny-Bay-Retreat_2000_h_gallery10.jpg (58.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #277
GB SISSON

Been welding up rust pits in the last of the daylight after work. In a field of big rust pits I wire cup brushed the area then heavy coat rustoleum rusty metal primer. I then took a squeege and smoothed a load of sikeflex 241 marine polyurethane adhesive sealant over the clean, dried rustoleum. Filled the big rust pits really well. This will be the third time I have used this product this way. It sands quite well and picture it as a very tenacious rubber bondo.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:00 AM   #278
cas3

Got a chunk of brass behind the pits when you weld?
Old 04-16-2022, 03:54 AM   #279
flatford8

Quote:
Got a chunk of brass behind the pits when you weld?
Or a flattened piece of copper water pipe with a handle?........Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 279FEAFA-CFE5-4554-A2C7-6E783C0E3B0D.jpg (43.3 KB, 86 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 04-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #280
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Or a flattened piece of copper water pipe with a handle?........Mark