Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #221
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post

You can see the start of my wiring hanging off the left frame rail. I had a brake light all wired up in case I took a spin on the county road, but snipped it when I decided it was time to pull the bed. 12 gauge 3 wire extension cord. It's amazing how many I have pulled outa the trash on jobsites. I have all colors for the different circuits.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:47 AM   #222
GB SISSON

Got a start this evening on the rear brakes. My wife has a late shift so I just got in at 9:40 pm here. She stoked the fire in the house before she left so it';s nice and warm in the house. Not in the shop.... Anyhow I got a couple pics of the right side rear brakes. Pretty normal stuff. I was thrilled to see about 3/16" of bonded lining on those big rear shoes. Everything hydraulic and the oil seals are here for replacement. I'm pretty sure the 3/16" will last my lifetime. Will check out the left side tomorrow after work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old green rear brakes 1.jpg (155.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Old green rear brakes 2.jpg (151.4 KB, 221 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-02-2022, 12:57 AM   #223
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Got a start this evening on the rear brakes. I was thrilled to see about 3/16" of bonded lining on those big rear shoes. Everything hydraulic and the oil seals are here for replacement.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:00 AM   #224
cas3

Good news ! My wife tends to "forget" to load the stove unless its 20 below. I cut, split, stack in the woodshed that is 15' from the basement door, carry in 3 arm loads per day, stack again in the house to where all you have to do is pick up a piece, rotate 180* and put it in the stove. its still too much work I guess, as often I get to the house in the evening and fire is out, basement is 55*. Sorry, I'll quit whining now
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:43 AM   #225
sugarmaker

Gary,
Brake job is looking good in there. Still some material. I agree 3/16 will be fine for a long long time! Ahhh Wood heat! Wife stoked the wood fire for 40 years while I was at work or not home. We made it! Yep miss the wood heat but not the work!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #226
cmbrucew

Come on man, where are the jackstands? Wife is at work and it is cold there.

Bruce
Old 03-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #227
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Come on man, where are the jackstands? Wife is at work and it is cold there.

Bruce
Guilty as charged. Thanks for the reminder. It is the very first thing I will do when I get back down to the shop.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #228
GB SISSON

Today it was sunny and warm so I fired up the mighty H six and parked in front of the shop to do the other side's brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear brakes 1.jpg (162.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg rear brakes 2.jpg (126.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg rear brakes 3.jpg (164.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #229
GB SISSON

And a few more pics.... Just had to add the one of matching the door color. This is the first time I got a pic of it in the natural outdoor light and I am happy how I got a decent match. AND, I can call my buddy and say it's time to bleed the brakes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg more rear brakes 1.jpg (160.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg more rear bakakes 2.jpg (167.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg more patina 1.jpg (116.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #230
petehoovie

Quote:
Today it was sunny and warm so I fired up the mighty H six and parked in front of the shop to do the other side's brakes.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 03-05-2022, 09:36 PM   #231
petehoovie

Quote:
And a few more pics.... Just had to add the one of matching the door color. This is the first time I got a pic of it in the natural outdoor light and I am happy how I got a decent match. AND, I can call my buddy and say it's time to bleed the brakes!

Old 03-05-2022, 11:22 PM   #232
cas3

Good match on the paint, you must add artist to your resume. Looks dry there, has spring already sprung?
Old 03-05-2022, 11:30 PM   #233
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Good match on the paint, you must add artist to your resume. Looks dry there, has spring already sprung?
It is indeed 'springing'.... Lilacs are budding, so are the alders and a few others. We have a very short winter here.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:38 PM   #234
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
It is indeed 'springing'.... Lilacs are budding, so are the alders and a few others. We have a very short winter here.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:42 AM   #235
cas3

OK, OK, I heard ya the first time !
Old 03-06-2022, 01:07 AM   #236
flatford8

He’s rubbing it in!.....we’re still below freezing at night in Maine.....Hell Im in Vegas and North of the city I ran into snow......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #237
tubman

In Minnesota (when I lived there), the crappie bite started when the lilacs were blooming.

That was in late April or early May.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #238
GB SISSON

Had a great weekend with few 'disruptions' so I finalized the rear brakes. The parking brakes took way longer than expected. Some PO had them adjusted all very wonky with the main cable loose and the arteries out to each brake tightened all the way. It is some sort of 'ballet' to get everything in sync and working as it should. With that all worked out I called my old buddy John to come by this afternoon for the bleeding sequence. We have been friends for almost 40 years and brake bleeding is always a way to get together. He's a single guy and doesn't cook a lot, so a home cooked meal makes it worth the 24 mile round trip from town. So it was yet another Sunday night after brake bleeding evening. Ravin's menu was roast pork with mashed potatoes and peas. I'm here to report a grand time was had by all and on our test run I mashed the brakes hard on the steep downhill and all was good. Don't get much better than that where I come from.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:17 AM   #239
cas3

Shoot, dinner like that I wish I was a neighbor
Old 03-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #240
sugarmaker

Gary,
Working brakes! You and John did them right! Testing on them too! Mashed taters Pork and peas Yumm!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is online now   Reply With Quote