Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
Charlie36

Default 1936 1.5 ton transmission swap

I have a 36 1.5 ton truck with original 21 stud and I believe 4 speed I'll be starting work on soon and would like to make it a little better for longer trips/higher speeds. I've done some research and understand the T5 can be adapted to a flathead relatively easily but I'm not sure that would be a good choice for a bigger truck.

If the T5 isn't a good option for a 1.5 ton is there a better transmission out there that would work? I would like a 4 or 5 speed.

I've found some posts mentioning the NV3500/4500 and others saying they would not fit because of the shifter location.

Appreciate any insight anyone can give. This is my first post but I will attempt to attach a picture of the truck without messing it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1358.jpg (82.2 KB, 314 views)
Charlie36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
tomcarman

Default Re: 1936 1.5 ton transmission swap

I can't help you with your question but dang, that's one nice looking truck! My wife loves old trucks and she'd drive that all over the map. Certainly other knowledgeable members will offer good advice. Welcome to the barn and please keep us updated as your project develops.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
51504bat

T-170 3+1 O/D trans?
Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Perhaps 'Chuck's Trucks' in Conneticutt could supply a higher gear ratio for the rear end. Most older real truck trannys end up with a 1 to 1 ratio in high gear. Honestly, after owning seven or eight pre-war ford 1 1/2 tons in the last 50 years I think it's a good thing they only go 45 mph downhill on a good day. Don't get me wrong, I Love them like no other, but get a half ton with some mods for the hi-way road trips and enjoy that beautiful '36 around town and the back country roads. If you make it go fast you will open up a can of worms about steering , stopping, lighting, wipers, etc, etc. They are just right on the roads they were made for.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:23 PM   #5
cas3

Thats good advise ^^^^
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:04 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie36 View Post
If the T5 isn't a good option for a 1.5 ton is there a better transmission out there that would work? I would like a 4 or 5 speed.

Appreciate any insight anyone can give. This is my first post but I will attempt to attach a picture of the truck without messing it up.

Charlie ....First, WELCOME to the 'Barn! Lots of good, friendly info and knowhow to be shared over here. Normally, I am a big advocate of the T5 trans and what you can do with them, owing to their unique design and oarts swap capabilities. Click this link BELOW to see what I mean with a T5 that we married to a Ford torque tube.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...T5+TORQUE+TUBE

Now, to get serious about your truck, it is obviously heavier than an old Ford car, and would likely need a more-heavy duty trans to make a successful package. I have also had first-hand experience with the Tremec TKO 500/600 transmissions, and I believe that either one, with their diverse gear ratio selection possibilities and the fact that they can be had with the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern, should be a snap to bolt-up to a flathead using available adapters. You're surely not going to break one of these, and they shift so nicely. That REAR shifter location can be rotated 180º to move the shifter slightly forward, and there is an available kit to move the shifter forward to the next cover position. Careful shopping should be able to turn one up at a somewhat reasonable cost. Coop - AMERICAN

What a neat old truck!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:32 AM   #7
Charlie36

GB - I will definitely look into just doing the rear end as I am not dead set on doing the trans. Honestly I would be fine with being able to cruise at 45 without the RPMs too high. I’m not actually sure what the rear gearing is as I didn’t check that last time I was home. Guess I’ll have to wait and see.

V8 - Thanks for the info, I will look into the TKO if I decide to swap the trans. Might need to take some measurements to see how far back the stick will be.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
sugarmaker

Charlie36,
OH MY! Welcome to the Ford Barn! If the rest of your truck looks as good as this picture you have a real gem. Ok I am a little partial to these barn find old trucks with the right look, too me anyway. Mine has grown on me a lot in a year.
I would agree that you might want to get it stopping and driving as it was designed before you tear into it.
These tend to not be touring machines in my opinion. More like a old motorcycle touring the back roads slowly at a pace that matches the intent of the truck.
Again just opinions of mine.
Also I really like the way it looks! We need more pictures too!
And the back story, and you plans. I see your goal to go farther faster. Its not a bad goal as we dont have vehicals on the road like this, just putzing along any more. So I understand your ideas too.
A local guy took a early GMC truck and placed it on a modern Chevy truck engine/ transmission chassis. Not recommending that at all but I have seen those things done too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 05-28-2022 at 07:49 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #9
rotorwrench

I would have to say that the best fit for an early Ford truck would likely be the T-98 transmission from the 1948/53 time period if you can find one. Folks have scoured the country for them over the years so they are not easy to find in good condition but persistence always pays. Another alternative would be a change to a later two speed rear axle. Torque tubes were used through 1939 on trucks.

Open drive is not as big a problem for trucks as it is for the smaller vehicles since they used twin rear spring. A person would do well to replace the rear axle with a more modern unit as well. A two speed axle may be a good idea.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-28-2022 at 10:09 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Be careful buying a 2 speed axle. All the ones I have found on old fords are the normal low gearing, shift the lever and it gets even lower. Were intended for heavy loads in hill country I guess. I have heard that some were more like an overdrive, so be on the lookout for that type.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie36 View Post
GB - I will definitely look into just doing the rear end as I am not dead set on doing the trans. Honestly I would be fine with being able to cruise at 45 without the RPMs too high. I’m not actually sure what the rear gearing is as I didn’t check that last time I was home. Guess I’ll have to wait and see.

V8 - Thanks for the info, I will look into the TKO if I decide to swap the trans. Might need to take some measurements to see how far back the stick will be.
Welcome aboard. Nice truck. I agree with Gary on all that he said. When I restored the 1940 Tonner I installed a set of 4.11 gears from Chuck’s Trucks and used 30” bias ply tires which allowed the truck to cruise nicely at 50-55 MPH. Later I put a 49 Merc O/D in the Tonner and installed radial tires on it to make it more driver friendly especially on the freeways. That said much over 60 MPH and the truck wants to wander even with the radials. Also at those higher speeds I have to constantly be watching the braking distance as modern vehicles tend to cut in and narrow the gaps. I’ve learned that these early trucks just weren’t designed and built to keep up with modern driving and to encourage them to do otherwise I think you could be flirting with trouble. Changing to a later year Ford 3 speed transmission that is syncromeshed is a plus especially if you will be driving in traffic a lot and unless you’re planning to haul some serious loads in that bed I would think a 3 speed would do the job just fine. Looking forward to seeing it on the road. Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #12
Als48

I saw a 5 speed Ford truck transmission last week here in Ky. that a friend had removed from the 7.3 powerstroke diesel used in an 80's flatbed F350. It was pretty massive and had a top shifter, but I don't know any dimensions or model # for the trans tho. It could work, but as Coopman mentioned, the shifter position could be all wrong.

I could go back and get pictures if anyone thinks they might be useful.

Al Hook
Als48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
pistonbroke

Hi Charlie, My brother-in-law had what he called a over and under intermediate box he took out of an old hay truck. He putt it in a 47 two ton. It had three positions, over, straight and under drive . It worked beautifully as a over drive . Under drive was crazy in first gear, the needle would not leave the peg with the engine wound up tight. I wish I new who made it or what they came in but I don't and he has passed on. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
GB SISSON

The over/under would be less complicated in a 47 2 ton with a 2 piece open driveline. It pretty much replaces the short forward drive shaft. Brown-Lipe made one and is ofter refered to as a 'Brownie'. Most were 2 position. A friend has a 3 position made by someone else in a Chevy parts truck and it was offered to me years ago. Another way to get some speed is with 'rubber overdrive'. That would be 8.25 rear tires. That truck is way too nice to put on a one ton dually chassis, just my personal opinion though!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:54 AM   #15
51504bat

Some time ago I had a '40 1 1/2 ton with a Watson divorced 3 speed auxiliary transmission. Under, direct, and over. In first under you could get out and walk beside the truck.But the '40 had an open drive line. Much more difficult in your truck with a closed driveshaft.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #16
cas3

The small auxiliary transmissions are hard to find. Big truck size much easier.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:39 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
The small auxiliary transmissions are hard to find. Big truck size much easier.

That's why I mention the Tremec "TKO" transmissions. They're not much bigger than a T5, yet way tougher, and the gear ratio selections are heavenly.

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:56 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Just keep in mind that just about any swap to a modern transmission will require fabrication work in the frame area where the transmission comes through. Now, I've never worked on a 1.5 tonner, so I have no clue what the frame is like - so I could be way off, but at least check out all the dimensions, mounting points, etc - before you get started. The Tremec TKO is a great transmission and probably tough enough for anything you'll ever be doing.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:57 AM   #19
Charlie36

Thanks a bunch for all the info and suggestions everyone.

After doing a lot more research and looking at other threads I believe I’m going to keep the original 4 speed and swap the rear end instead. Will probably convert to an open driveshaft as well to make a donor easier to find. There will definitely be some custom fabrication involved but it should be fun.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #20
chevy43

You might change the rear bearing in the trans to a sealed type to keep the gear oil in.

There is nothing wrong with the straight cut crashbox 4 speed. They are good and make nice truck gear noise in lower gears. Double clutch and pause a little over a second between gears and you can shift it without a noise when you get good at it. It's so satisfying to make good shifts on a crashbox. That's an experience totally lacking on modern trucks!
chevy43 is offline   Reply With Quote