Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
Gordon Ellis

Default Correct Peep Mirrors for 32 5 window

I purchased a pair of peep mirrors hoping they would work on the doors of my 32 5 window. The hardware was too bulky and so they would not work. Can anyone out there tell me who sells Peep mirrors which you know will work on the doors of my 5 window. Thanks in advance!
Gordon Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Correct Peep Mirrors for 32 5 window

You can use the "swan neck" style mirrors, but you have to drill the doors to mount them, The other option is the hinge mount mirrors.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
DavidG

None are correct in the sense of original, but as Tom suggests, door hinge mounted rear view mirrors are your best bet. For the right side, you will likely find that you need to add a convex mirror head to the face of the flat mirror. They come in various diameters and have self-adhering backs. It sounds hokey, but they work if you shop around to find those that fit properly. I have a '32 standard roadster with original LHD and RHD deluxe windshield posts and their mirrors and the added convex right side makes a world of difference.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #4
tomcarman

On my avatar 5w and our non-conforming Ford Barn 3w we got hinge mount peep mirrors and the hinge pin remover to install. I believe they are Drake supplied if I recall correctly. On the 5w I don't believe the doors had ever been removed since the car was new and after days of repeated applications of penetrating oil to the top of the hinge pin and a slow and steady torquing on the tool it took quite a bit of force to break the pin lose. Warning, when it finally popped lose it did so instantly while applying considerable pressure on the wrench. It is very close quarters between the pin extractor tool, the wrench head and the door and in doing so the resultant release of pressure caused the wrench to spin and put a small mark on the door. Live and learn I suppose. That being said the small peep mirrors do help, mainly if you're backing into say a parking space, not so much on the open road but still better than nothing. We like them as they don't seem to detract much from the originality and can be removed if desired.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:56 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
On my avatar 5w and our non-conforming Ford Barn 3w we got hinge mount peep mirrors.

"our non-conforming Ford Barn 3w".....Now that's just funny as hell! I'd say that ANY deuce 3-window, merely by virtue of being born as such, is darn sure conforming-enough for me! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:08 AM   #6
tomcarman

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2124252]"our non-conforming Ford Barn 3w".....Now that's just funny as hell! I'd say that ANY deuce 3-window, merely by virtue of being born as such, is darn sure conforming-enough for me! Coop

Thanks Coop but you might want to have a seat for the bad news. It's got a SBC and has had since somewhere in the very early '60's when the old man and my uncle drag raced it. My brother just had it out for a drive this weekend and started right up, ran great but suddenly the brake pedal goes to the floor. It's got some kind of a power brake booster on it which may be the problem, don't know. I've resisted posting it on account of that but if anyone has any ideas on what the brake problem could be you could PM me. I won't talk about it on this forum as it doesn't conform. I've looked at the HAMB but have chosen not to join as it gets too hostile for my liking.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #7
TJ

One more comment on peep mirrors. Years ago in the 60's and early 70's guys were using Volkswagen hinge pin mirrors. They curve outward but were much shorter than the stock Ford hinge pin mirrors. I have no idea if the passenger side was functional or not.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
russcc

As a follow up to TJ's post. I called Bug City in Berlin CT, a vintage volks parts house. They said those mirrors were used up until 1957, and they stock several different sizes. $10.00, They said you can do a search on their website.
I have used the volks shocks front and rear on the roadster, ('29 on '32 rails, flathead). They fit great, work fine, and are hydraulic, not air. Vern Tardel put me on to them.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
Krylon32

I have done a number of 32 coupes, sedans, a Vicky, a B400 and several pickups and always used hinge mounted mirrors. I seem to get the best visibility with them. No paint damage and no holes in the body.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:37 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

Tom, either you have been doing some SERIOUS cleaning or that picture was at Doug's house!!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Tom, either you have been doing some SERIOUS cleaning or that picture was at Doug's house!!
I wish the garage looked like that! That picture was taken many years ago just before going to a car show and all shined up. After Dad died I was going through his computer and found that picture. As you know it's still pretty much the same but oddly I don't have any good current pictures of it. I also want to apologize for the poor wording of the peep mirrors being hinge pin mounted. I meant on the 5w not the 3w. The ones on the 3w are clamp on. Duh!
Old 04-26-2022, 06:26 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=tomcarman;2124261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"our non-conforming Ford Barn 3w".....Now that's just funny as hell! I'd say that ANY deuce 3-window, merely by virtue of being born as such, is darn sure conforming-enough for me! Coop

Thanks Coop but you might want to have a seat for the bad news. It's got a SBC and has had since somewhere in the very early '60's when the old man and my uncle drag raced it.
Ya can't shame me or hurt my feelings, as I've been responsible for at least a half dozen (or more) of those X-perimental Fords. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #13
woodiewagon46

A company called Hagan Street Rods has a line of mirrors called "Fatties". They have several different mounts and mirror sizes. I like them because I can drive down the Long Island and New Jersey Turnpikes and see all three lanes. www.haganauto.com or 888-464-2426.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #14
Als48

Tom,

I'm thinking the most likely culprit for sudden loss of brakes would be the rubber lines. Worth a look.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote