Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
roadstar

Default 1937 Pickup Choke and Trottle rods help please

I got the new knobs and rods and gromets and now have a couple of questions.

My pickup didn't have the original knobs and rods in place so I would like to know how they actually attach.

The knob has a short piece of rod that goes through the dash gromet of course. And the new rod came with a small coupler that slides over the two rods to join them I am assuming. Just wondering how they are attached together, crimped, welded,ect?

Also the truck had a cable style choke installed when I got it. Im pretty sure it is supposed to have the rod style but where the cable came out of the firewall it is attached to the hot air heater duct tube with a small factory looking mount. Would the rod actually go to this mount? The rod fits it but it looks more like a cable clamp to me.

Being it came with the hot air heater there is a knob in the middle of the choke and throttle that says heater. Is this the stock location for the heater knob. I see pics of trucks with just two knobs.

I added the pic with the cable clamped to the air tube on the firewall.

Hope someone can help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable 1.jpg (81.9 KB, 72 views)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Steel 35

Default Re: 1937 Pickup Choke and Trottle rods help please

I would bet your knobs are about 6". they are crimped usually but a better way to do it is thread them and use coupling & jam nuts so you can align and adjust them in and out, I think the cable needs to go! but I am young and know not much.
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
keith oh

They were both rods. They were crimped when new but would probably be better threaded as Steel 35 suggested. I crimpted mine with vicegrip pliers and have held just fine.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
ford38v8

Roadstar, I agree with the others, the original setup was with rods, which were not held down by clamps of any sort.

Also visible in your picture is your fuel filter, with a hose clamp as supplied with most fuel filters. The clamp has to go, in favor of a worm gear clamp, not for originality of course, as the Ford had no such fuel filter, but for reliability. Those spring clip clamps are notorious for leaking air on the intake side of the pump, and may leak gas on the pressure side as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
flat-v8

I just did this job on my 36' P\U this weekend, I got the repop rods and choke\throttle knobs, the rods were way too long so had to be hack sawed, the heavy steel coupler sleave could not be crimped without destroying it, and I didn't know what it was really for, so I pushed it through the rubber grommets in the firewall so the the rods slide smoothly, now to figure out how to connect the the rods & knobs with what I had laying around. I thought about threading both ends, but had no threading coupling that size, but I did have brass compression couplings that were the exact size as the rods and worked perfectly. I did not have rubber grommets to fit the holes in the dash, so made them from faucet washers that I slit through the center with a razor blade.
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
roadstar

Thanks for some good advice. Something I can always count on here at the Ford Barn, looks like Im on the right track.

Now just need to replace the Ford 94 carb that came on the truck when I got it with a Stromberg 97 that it would have had originally, then all the rods will go where they are supposed to go.

Thanks again.

Rudy
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
flat-v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Thanks for some good advice. Something I can always count on here at the Ford Barn, looks like Im on the right track.

Now just need to replace the Ford 94 carb that came on the truck when I got it with a Stromberg 97 that it would have had originally, then all the rods will go where they are supposed to go.

Thanks again.

Rudy
I had a Ford Holley 94 on mine too & it worked fine but leaked, later I read on Ford Barn Forums about fuel pressure supplied by the mechanical fuel pump being too high, so I installed the Holley regulator and set it to 2.5 psi, later I bought a good rebuilt Stromberg 97 on ebay and all is good no leaks!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote