Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
leo

Question Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

There was a time when the thought of this would have made me laugh but now with paint costing about $1000 for the average car, the equipment needed to apply it and the protective gear, maybe it's time has come. And I'm talking about the do it yourself person, if you opt to have the job done by a shop then the cost becomes even more. It appears after looking at a few YouTube clips that you can do a good job using a roller as long as you take the time to progressively sand each thin coat with finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper. The process is much more tedious than spraying but could really be great for anyone working on a budget restoring a car. Is it viable?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
miss victoria

Default Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

my neighbor rolled a 65 dodge dart i was surprised that it looked as good as it did,but in a short time it faided and peeled off in big chunks ??
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
34pickup

I read on another forum that Rustoleum was made with a formula that included an oil that was incompatible with other paints. I think it has fish oil in it.And because of this, it never seems to "dry" and is gummy. I wouldn't use that brand.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
charlesea

A member in our club painted his coupe with rattle can paint & buffed it several years ago & it still looks very good. Buffing is what brought it out. The car is like most of ours, it stays inside most of the time.I am not sure how many cans it took but it was a whole lot cheaper that several thousand dollars to have it done. It was not a quick process either.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
cayager

more of an industrial finish, for weather protection. wouldnt last long in the sun. it will turn to chaulk.
cayager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
gweilbaker

If you like black, Centari enamel isn't too bad, you can add hardener but it becomes a harsh spray. As for rustoleum, I think they have an industrial line for things like tractors.

I had a truck painted with regular rustoleum, it certainly held up for 4 years but it did chalk.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
leo

Hey thanks for the input. Let's open this up a bit more, so Rustoleum would not hold up well to sunlight over time, well how about some other type of paint which would roll on and be able to take a sanding and buff?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
PetesPonies

If you are considering going real cheap $$$ wise, then get some industrial/farm machinery paint. IMO much better than Rustoleum and you have a lot to choose from. You can even add hardener if you wish.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
alan

a couple of things-I have painted cars/truck /tractors and even a US Navy ship with good grade of industrial enamal - Fixall-Rustoleum- and a local paint company called Piedmont-even rolled out a Navy issue Ford pick-up. I painted trash trucks with Rustoleum and found that if you use an enamal reducer they spray or roll out pretty good and they will have a shine to them. My car trailer was painted over 18 years ago and it needs to be done again but not from rust. Going to use Rustoleum on it again.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
TomW

You might try Interlux "Brightside" one part polyurethane enamel. It's much more durable than Rustoleum, and will look sprayed if you use a small dense foam roller. (available at marine stores) It also sprays quite nicely, even for a novice like me.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
mmindling

Hi, this is Martin in Ohio. My car was restored in the late 70's, early 80's and there are spots where the paint is chipped or damaged by normal wear and tear (including a few dropped tools!!). It is Arabian Sand with Copra trim and black fenders, all done in lacquer, no clear coat as far as I can see.

Trying to save some $$'s, went to the local auto paint store and had a spray can made up with the Arabian Sand. They went to the step of using their spectrometer analyzer (took the Model A to the paint shop) to get the match as close as possible. Turns out it was significantly different than the stock formula for AS.

What I have learned is that EVERYTHING is in the PREPARATION, which you guys know. Used up most of the can doing repairs incorrectly and now am getting the hang of it. Using sandable primer from a spray can and three grades of wet sandpaper - 400, 600 and 1500. Result are getting better but not perfect at this time. Troublesome areas are feathering in where the new paint meets the old paint, sanding right through to the primer, and getting the spray can to paint and not spit.
Also, question whether or not to use clear coat on the new paint when it is finally sanded with 1500 paper to try to match the shine on the old paint. Tried Griots Fine Polish, but something more is needed to match up.

Let me know any comments or suggestions. Since I am needing a clutch rebuild, tried to save money on the paintwork.

Regards,

[email protected]
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
steve s

My dad painted his with Rustoleum and a brush. It looked better than before he painted it, and it held up perfectly well for 40 years or so.

steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Charlie Stephens

My guess is that you would be better off going to one of the high volume low cost paint shops, Earl Schieb, Macco, One Day, to name a few.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Jim Brierley

We spray-painted our Bonneville lakester with Rustoleum and are very happy with it. Being a race car we have not buffed it out, but it looks very good. We chose Rustoleum because of several things, cost, the color we wanted, and availability of rattle cans for repairs. For the original coat we bought a gallon of it, later spray cans for touch up.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Keith True

You can still buy cheap equipment enamel from Magnet paints in N.Y. They sell what they call a synthetic urethane.They also sell a hardener for it,and if you want it to dry this year you need to use it.I've dumped their hardener in rustoleum,it seems to work.They also sell acrylics and SS urethanes too.I've been buying SS urethane from the PPG dealer here.I buy the fleet colors,and it will be in their short line.Omni?Nason? One of the colors used was 48 Ford commercial red.On the crossover chart it crosses to one shade off from an original A color.It cost me $130.for six quarts of sprayable material.That was paint,reducer,and catalyst.Recently I tried to thin some new rustoleum with some of the old fish oil thinner.Big mistake.I ruined a quart of paint and a cup of the thinner.It was like trying to mix oil and water.Turns out the new stuff is completely different than the old.I do know it dries much better than the old.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Aok

This is a subject that has been well cover for older cars on many forums but maybe not on model A's if you do a search on the subject you will find much information. A few years back there was a in depth how to but I have switch computers and no longer have the link
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
leo

Hey this is all great information! I'm not trying to put any restoration shop out of the paint business because I don't expect this to result in anything like a $10,000 paint job. It's just good to know that a Model A person has options when it comes to finishing a car on a budget and having look good.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
1931 flamingo

I was 13 or 14 when I painted a 29 sport coupe with black rustoleum with a brush, no brush marks. I think this was the one I primed parts of it with red oxide primer sprayed using an electrokux vac cleaner, around '59 or '60.
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
gwhite

There are far superior paints than Rustoleum. Rustoleum is not UV stable. Instead, check out finishes for yachts, they're formulated for the tip & roll painting technique...I'm going to use oil enamel from Kirby Paint Company on my "hot rod" model T.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
MALAK

My Poupe (PU/Coupe) IS painted with Rustoleum. My dad painted it in the early 70's when he got the car. Not much prep work was done other than wire brush the rust off the body. It's flaked off in a few small spots but surprisingly held up well. At least in my case it matches the patina of the rest of the car. So it seems: with the proper prep and a little elbow grease you probably can do a decent paint job with Rustoleum (or some other brand).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-01_12-38-30_369.jpg (53.4 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-01_12-29-27_993.jpg (57.6 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-01_12-30-11_161.jpg (40.6 KB, 461 views)
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
jrelliott

You can go to Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply and they carry some implement paint and also a limited number of colors in vehicle paint and hardner.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Before spray cans, Chief painted wheels with a Hudson, constant spray insecticide sprayer. To remove OLD ROCK hard tires and to strip the old paint, he would "cook" them on a bonfire! PO' FOLKS HAD PO' WAYS! Bill W.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
[email protected]

I am one of those home Model A hobbiests that if I can't do it in my driveway or garage it doesn't get done. Years back I built up a Johnny Cash version 1928, 29, 30 Woody Huckster from some of my left over parts left over from my other Model A projects. I determined to build it just for to be a "Work" truck so I could use / abuse it. It was going to be done for low dollars......

I used the local Farm and Fleet Tractor Enamel with hardner for the fenders, radiator, splash aprons, and running board. From the beginning I planned it to be a twenty footer paint job. I figured that if I ever had a scratch or bump I could then just go to any local store and buy the exact same Rustoleum replacement color.

I painted the primed body metal with a Ford Tractor Blue enamel with hardner added originally. After it was painted my Wife and Daughter did not like the color. (Note to self, In the future, always consult the live in decorating experts before starting a paint project.) They then picked out the Rustoleum Navy Blue that is close to the Model A Washington Blue color.

I then repainted it all over with their Navy Blue. I am attaching a before and after picture during this process to show the two different blue colors... Firewall Ford Tractor Blue and Cowl area Rustoleum Navy Blue.

I used an old Bink's siphon spray gun with a small air compressor for the painting. The Rustoleum flowed out real good with some cheap paint thinner but you have to have the patience to let it dry before any attempt to wet sand and for buffing it out. When I did finally got around to polish it out a couple of months later, I used some 3M "FinesseIt" compound with a power buffer on the paint job, it really popped into a great hard shine that most people assume is the auto body stuff...

This Huckster was NOT built to be a show car by any standard but at a parade or a cruise night show it gets more attention with positive comments then my other traditional Coupe and Tudor Model A's. People just like Trucks!!!

Now it is a few years down the road and it still looks good with no rust or bubbles anywhere. But just recently I was going to buy some extra Rustoleum Navy Blue in a small can for keeping on hand for some stone chip touch ups but all of the local and chain stores seem to stock only a Rustoleum Royal Blue color instead of my Navy color. Some stores have the spray cans only in Navy Blue. The Navy Blue is still available from Rustoleum but I have to now have the stores special order it in the small cans... I taped off the stone chip area and shot it with the Rustoleum Navy Blue rattle can and the chip just dissappeared.

I know that this Rustoleum paint job is not for everybody in the Model A world but for the small amount of money I invested for this Huckster I am very pleased how it looks and would do it again..

Woody with 1929 Ford TriMotor.jpg

IMG_0821_edited.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

I painted my september 29 strip down with Rustoleum. I used universal super wet look hardener and synthetic enamel reducer from Smart Shopper. I used a low cost Binks look alike gun to spray this one. I don't use my more expensive paint guns when spraying a souped up enamel paint mix. I posted pics on the safe paint thread of a model A pick up that I painted with Rustoleum and Kirker urethane activator. The urethane activator gives a much harder finish but neither is safe to spray or handle without an air supplied suit and gloves . Rustoleum will fade quickly if some type of hardener or activator isn't used. It is also best to thin Rustoleum with synthetic enamel reducer rather than mineral spirits if you want the best gloss. I use mineral spirits to thin enamel used on frames and running gear. Mineral spirits gives more of a simi gloss and looks more original for running gear. If I use urethane activator with Rustoleum, I thin it with urethane grade reducer. I do the same prep work with Rustoleum that I would do with any paint. .I wouldn't expect any paint to hold up if applied to a surface that hadn't been properly cleaned and sanded..

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 11-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
PetesPonies

Looks good. When spraying solid colors, you can get away with enamel paints. That's why I suggested machinery or tractor paints if you are on a budget. However, understand that you will not find UV protection in these low end paints, especially Rustoleum. Just something to remember.
I mixed up some Rustoleum and Tractor paint along with some enamel hardener when I painted my Model A block. It sure turned out hard as hell
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Doug in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
You might try Interlux "Brightside" one part polyurethane enamel. It's much more durable than Rustoleum, and will look sprayed if you use a small dense foam roller. (available at marine stores) It also sprays quite nicely, even for a novice like me.
We used the same paint on our kitchen cabinets (which we took out and sprayed in the driveway on a big tarp). It has stood up to kitchen grease, etc. MUCH better than anything from Home Depot! I also used on a banister, and it did not get gummy from handprints like other paint I tried.

Marine supply stores have lots of nice stuff that is too nasty for Home Depot to sell!

Doug
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #27
Doug in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Looks good. When spraying solid colors, you can get away with enamel paints. That's why I suggested machinery or tractor paints if you are on a budget. However, understand that you will not find UV protection in these low end paints, especially Rustoleum. Just something to remember.
I mixed up some Rustoleum and Tractor paint along with some enamel hardener when I painted my Model A block. It sure turned out hard as hell
Tractor Supply sells little cans of enamel hardener for their tractor paint line (from Valspar). It says it will work with any alkyd enamel.

Doug
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

Thanks Pete, I do keep mine inside, now that I have a building to store them. I painted our 31 coupe in july of 1993 with black Sherwin Williams single stage urethane. My daughter has the coupe now, it has spent most of ninteen years outside or in an open shed and it still cleans up good. Single stage urethane has went up quite a bit since the early ninties. I painted our roadster with acrylic lacquer in 05.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
Bruce Adams

Krylon black gloss in the rattle can looks like it was done in a body shop or dipped by Henry. A couple of very knowledgeable fellows, one who is credited as a contributor in Judging Standards, in the Long Island Club did their very nice fenders with this to everyones amazement. I am trying to get the nerve to do mine. I understand it is lacquer and goes on over old lacquer.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
Terry, NJ

Check out "Magnet Paints" Around since 1915, Inexpensive, Tough, Made in US! Magnet paints are for heavy machinery, dumpster bodies, trucks, Etc. Favorable on the VOCs. Check them out!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
Iron Shaper

I have use rustoleum paints on all my tractor restorations and now on my model a. Spray it on with a Harbor freight $10 spray gun. Goes on nice, but does need to be kept out of the sun. It cost alot less the auto paints. My model a is a driver ,not to worried about the paint job. But the rustoleum will last long enough. I am sure that Henry did not put alot of effort or money into a model a paint job either.
Just my 2 cents

Walter
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
ronn

Charlie has it right with MAACO- do all of the bodywork yourself and they'll give it a real nice spray for around 500 beans....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #33
30Ford

I just bought a base / clear ,for my other car it retailed for 750 plus tax,,,I got it for cost plus because my son worked there,,,,might get paint from a body shop or a jobber that screwed up a gallon ...a lot of the time it saves them disposal fees
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
Art Bjornestad

Right after WWii you could buy a can of enamel that was thinned so that you could apply it with the supplied powder puff. The result was great for about a year.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
tamagrouchy

My Rustoleum Roadster < link to picture, still looks presentable. I have to touch it up every once in a while, but I bought it 6 years ago with this paint job and it looks like it was painted a LONG time ago. Maybe some day I'll make it pretty, but my kids still like to climb on it, and I don't cringe when people touch it at cruise nights.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad View Post
Right after WWii you could buy a can of enamel that was thinned so that you could apply it with the supplied powder puff. The result was great for about a year.
Art,
You've got a great memory! I had forgotten about that.
Wonder if that's what the movie "STARLETS" use They all look the same when "painted" up Wonder what they look like when they get out of the sack in the A.M? Probably look like me when I scare myself in the mirror & think we have an ugly INTRUDER. Ever seen a pic of Oprah before make-up & hair-do? SCARY! Bill W.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #37
Dodge

I bought a car that was sprayed with Rustoleum gloss black paint the left outside
for about 4 yrs. It did fade but has a great patina, looks like the paint is original
80 yrs. old kind of nice look. Car looks unrestored.
I have painted cars and boats with acrylic enamel paint with a hardner in it with
a foam roller. I let it dry and wet sanded and polished them. Everyone that saw them
thought they had been sprayed. (about 3 coats with a roller) also a foam roller with
acrylic paint you go thru about 5 or 6 roller in the process as the paint softens them up.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
ursus

Forget about Rustoleum! It doesn't hold up well under the weather. Check out the relatively inexpensive single stage urethane paints that the boat guys use. They can be either sprayed or applied using the "roll and tip" method in which the paint goes on with a 4 inch roller and immediately brushed over with a foam brush to level it out. One supplier, Jamestown Marine, has an array of products, some with a hardener, and videos showing how it is done. A friend painted his 36 foot sailboat using the roll and tip method and the results were amazing. The good part is that no respirator was needed and all the paint goes on the surface and not in the air.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
Purdy Swoft

I sprayed this one with Rustoleum on the cab and bed and used Kirker ultra-glo acrylic urethane single stage on the fenders..

No oil base or synthetic-alkyd enamel will hold up well or keep its gloss if used without a hardener or activator. I used the same Kirker ultra-glo urethane activator with the Rustoleum that I used with the Kirker paint on the fenders. The Rustoleum-Kirker combination worked well and saved lots of money. Kirker sells one of the lowest priced single stage urethanes that I know of. I painted my speedster with Kirker acrylic enamel with hardener in 1995 and it still retains its shine .

Dodge makes a good point about Rustoleum and patina if left outside. If no type hardener or activator is used it will fade quickly, even quicker if thinned with lacquer thinner or acetone.

I plan to use Rustolem without hardener, thinned with lacquer thinner on my 29 tudor. I want the patina look. If used in this manner it will have good gloss at first but will fade quickly. Purdy.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 11-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Dupli color has a paint for about 25.00 a sprayable Qt.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
Tony G

I have seen Rustoleum 2X used on a set of fenders with fantastic results.I would have sworn that it was professionally done at a body shop. The 2 X product has more color pigment than the regular can.The color was black although they have many colors of 2X.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Fred K-OR

I used Ford tractor enamel on my hukster. It is around $30-40 a quart. Used a spray guy on a very small comressor. But I did do much prep work before starting to paint-a lot of sandblast, sanding off old paint and rust, etc. But it is also a 10 foot paint job but that works for me. I take it to a number of local car shows and in the last two years have won 7 or 8 awards for it. Last award was this last summer at the Forest Grove Concours dElegance where it took 2nd place in class. I enjoy the huckster and do get a lot of comments about how good it looks. So I think it is in what you want as a final product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9555a.jpg (80.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 11-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #44
Jazzjr

All the Black on mine is Rustoleum, Black Gloss bought @ Wal-Mart for $8.95 a Quart, with 100% Mineral Spirits used as Thinner, $10 a Gallon. And the Paint Gun below for $15 from Harbor Freight was used to spray both Colors. I know that the Shine may only Last for a couple of Years. But I don't get Nervous when People Touch the Paint or Feel the Car. This Car was intended to be Used, not a Show Piece. It only takes about an Hour to Remove a Fender to Repaint it. I Keep it Waxed and Clean as Possible and enjoy Driving it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_21036.jpg (15.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 11-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #45
yachtsmanbill

We ue a lot of this on the boats. A quart will paint a Model A with a foam roller and tipped with a brush. Watch the videos! ws

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t+Polyurethane
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #46
Fred K-OR

Jazzjr, what do you use on your wood to keep it protected from moisture?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #47
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Well I have been painting cars for the last 45 years and I would not do it. I use nothing but DuPont top of the line and yes it's expensive. But in saying that about all of the major paint manf have a second line of paint that is a lot cheaper. For new cars etc you won't get a good match of OEM paint but for an all over I guess it's OK. I used a some of DuPonts Nason brand on some components of a street rod a friend was building. It was OK but I really didn't like it as well as their top of the line paint and would not use it on anything I wanted to keep for a long time. I do not know how the parts help up as he sold the car before finishing it. By the way it was an all reproduction 32 Ford roadster and no original parts were used. I also did a 37 Terraplane for him, finished it back in 1996 and it still looks as good today as it did when finished and is driven everywhere it goes. You money & your car do as you please.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #48
Jazzjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Jazzjr, what do you use on your wood to keep it protected from moisture?
Mothers Paste wax is what I'm using on both the Paint and the Oak. But it has not seen any Rain as of yet. Also has been kept in Dry Garage since i started the Project in 2009.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
[email protected]

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-1year.html

Found this great site on using Rustoleum for an inexpensive paint job...

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-02-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added home page of this website
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #50
kenparker

The "Miss E" was repainted with Tractor Supply's farm tractor paint. I think it was a Rustoleum lable. The downside it tends to fade faster (lots faster) than Automotive paint. You have to keep it waxed to keep any shine. The TSC paint was painted ove Acrylic Enamal and after 1 1/2 years no problems yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebuild 8.jpg (58.3 KB, 34 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #51
bgarrett

This Ford was sprayed with Rustoleum several years ago and gets compliments from the public every time I go somewhere. Total cost for yellow and white was about $65 and I can repaint in other colors anytime
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow truck.jpg (70.1 KB, 44 views)
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #52
SLPreston53

Lowes sells a Rustoleum paint for boats that has UV protection, which is what I painted my truck with. This paint answers all the worries about chalking and the like. As far as paint peeling, I sanded my truck back to bare metal and used the appropriate Rustoleum primer which gave the paint the base it needed. Mine is a very low dollar project, and for less than $200 (an a lot of time sanding) I was able to have a serviceable, nice looking paint job. I painted it in my driveway and garage with decent results. Not going to win any awards, but then I am not afraid of a kid scratching it, either. To me that is more fun...
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #53
V4F

ive been using rattle can rustoleum for years . good results ! first suggestion is to learn how to use a spray can . takes me like 3 coats to get it finished . 2 tack coats & 1 finish coat . dont be in a hurry .......
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #54
mshmodela

I would guess any paint today is better than what all model A's had orginally. I think it's more the prep and talent of the painter more than the paint.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #55
ModelAMike1930

FYI Rustoleum has an auto paint division. I have not used it but im sure it would be a good paint..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #56
Tinker

I used PPG's Shop Line paint to do my wife's 57. 1 gallon epoxy primer/sealer plus hardener, 1 gallon Single stage Color with hardener and reducer. Total was around $280-300. Decent paint for the money.

Used a HF HLVP $20 dollar gun for the epoxy (a guy standing in line behind me gave me a coupon to make it $5 a gun, I bought 2) and a little nicer eastwood gun for the single stage (it work okay, but I think the HF would have worked just as well. Granted I am not a professional painter).

You do need a decent compressor to keep up with spraying something large.

I've used spray cans before, but if it's as big as a fender I would shoot it with a gun. I use rustoleum in a qt can for chassis stuff and floors. Works very well.

I thought for a hobby painter it turned out decent. Sorry it's not a model A.

Sealer

Single stage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 paint.jpg (51.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 06-26-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #57
gweilbaker

This thread brought back a rush of memory of my high school days, my rides were always a plethora of primer calico color, my how times have changed. Kids wouldn't be caught dead in some of the stuff I use to run.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #58
leo

Regarding Rustoleum rattle can painting. The paint takes a long time to dry and harden completely. Anyone been able to speed this up, like in an oven or by using heat lighting?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #59
Tinker

Here in florida I just put it out in the sun for a day, then put it inside for a few days (less humidity).
Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #60
holdover

Good advice
"My guess is that you would be better off going to one of the high volume low cost paint shops, Earl Schieb, Macco, One Day, to name a few."

With that being said please do yourself a favor and leave the roller for doing house paint. I have been a restorer for over 40 years, sure to do a perfect job you will most likely need the right equipment, such as a quality gun for both primer and paint, the right body work tools, a good compressor with water removal system/filters, a dedicated paint booth, various grades of sand paper from 220 to 2000 and a good grade of automotive paint, but with a lot of work and research you can do a good paint job with not too much money, will you win at a show for the quality of the paint job, maybe not, but will it look good, yes, if you put effort into learning and doing it. Even professional shops have to work at it and sometimes do it over. The preparation is the most important part as well as where you are spraying, the temp/ humidity and how you work the gun. Basecoat/ clearcoat will give you some room to correct errors, but single phase paint is doable also. Check out all that is available on youtube, or find someone who paints vehicles for a living and ask if they will paint yours on the side, locally there is a guy who paints Volvo/White trucks who does side work, I am sure it is that way all over. As to the cost of paint, yes it can be expensive. I found a guy who runs a paint business up in NY that blows the local suppliers away on prices for PPG. here is a link to one of his adds on ebay. I have been buying paint from Bill for over 5 years, he will also quote you a price on a custom mix. I have never asked him about a Model A color, but I am sure if you had the PPG paint code he could mix it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPG-Omni-AU-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

hope this helps, your mileage may vary
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #61
Terry,NJ

I have used Magnet paint "Chassis saver" with a brush on the Chassis. $110. TSC "Magic" paint on the fenders. $30-35 a gal. Hardener $15 (?) and thinner $(?) I sprayed 1 fender and it seemed the hardest orange peel I ever sanded. I ground away at that paint for hours trying to smooth it out. Took them to a local guy to put a final sanding and coat on them. There are pictures of them in "My 30 TS" in my profile. He also suggested painting the undersides with Bedliner to cushion against flying rocks etc. I want to paint the body the "Drabs", Copra and Chicle. I haven't decided what paint I'll use PPG, Nason, Maybe something else.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #62
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Try TCP Global for inexpensive paints - they have vry inexpensive enemals.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #63
TDO

I used tractor paint from tractor supply 3 years ago. It was Valspar. they have a different brand name now. They sell thinner and hardener for it. It's the 30 coupe, my avatar. The paint was $52.00 a gallon then. So far so good.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #64
Tinker

Holdover I agree with ever thing you have said. Having gone through the process. Ever dollar in a very nice paint job is well spent.

For me it took a 1000yrd car to a 10 ft car for about a grand. Considering materials. Not considering the time at all.

But as mentioned if it scratches, and it has, I don't worry. Looks great without all the worry.

Have a total admiration for a great paint job.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #65
Terry,NJ

Oh yeah, Not to Hi jack this thread, but what color do you paint the fender wells? Fender
black?
Terry
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #66
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Oh yeah, Not to Hi jack this thread, but what color do you paint the fender wells? Fender
black?
Terry
Yes, with the spare tire well spot welded in place, the fender and well become one piece and is dipped (original paint) or sprayed as one part.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #67
Terry,NJ

Thanks Tom, but I should have been clearer, I meant the rear wells. I guess they're called the wells. The large indent in the rear that accepts the fender.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, with the spare tire well spot welded in place, the fender and well become one piece and is dipped (original paint) or sprayed as one part.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #68
raprice22

Steve S.,
Your Model A looks good. But I really love your '57 Nash. That was the last year of the Nash before everything became Rambler. Does yours have the V-8?
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #69
holdover

I have seen pics that show the wells, which are part of the body, the same color as the body which makes sense. The fenders were installed after the body, which was painted, was mounted to the frame rails
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #70
Dodge

The old Rustoleum held up much better than the stuff they use today. I have a car
that was painted in Rustoleum by the previous owner, he used a hardner and it looked
good for a while then faded. It is not chalky but looks like original paint that has dulled out.
I actually like the look.
I have had good results with fiberglass runabout boats using a paint like centari. I rolled
it with a foam roller with three coats. Then used 600 sand paper to cut it then 800 and
polished it with an electric buffer and polishing compounds. No one that looked at could
tell that it wasn't sprayed.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #71
big job

Ok I'll take a stab. Service truck on the left Rustoleum 10 yrs old. 1qt hunter green
1/2 pt black 1/2 pt penetral reduced with lacq. thinner. sprayed with a hlv gun. Now
check out the cab on the dump truck. That also is about 10yrs old and painted with
"real" paint and its gone. So we sprayed the nose with my rustoleum mix and mixed a
little clear. By the way I never believed in reducing enamels with Lacq thinner but the
hardware store insists in doing so? I dont know it works and flashes faster.
sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1 34.jpg (83.7 KB, 86 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #72
Purdy Swoft

The last time that I looked at the label instructions, Rustoleum recommends lacquer thinner or acetone thinned only 5%. I believe this thinner recommendation is for brush or roll on applications and 5% lacquer or acetone wouldn't have much dulling or fading effect. For spraying I find that a two to one mix or slightly more with enamel reducer or mineral spirits works good. I use a universal super wet look hardener with this system. Urethane activator and reducer can be used with rustoleum for a super hard finish that will look much like single stage urethane.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #73
1931 flamingo

big job: Way back when I started working at a gas station/repair/body shop, the painter/bodyman would mix enamel with lacquer thinner and hardener, sprinkle some water on the concrete floor, shut the garage door, and go to town. No booth, don't remember an exhaust fan, or if he wore a mask. Always came out good, depending on how much he'd had to drink. Body shop used to be an old blacksmith shop, still had the firebox and tools ready to go. Late 50's early 60's.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #74
Purdy Swoft

Enamel can be thinned with lacquer thinner but lacquer can't be thinned with enamel reducer or it will curdle. Enamel will dry quicker and attract less dust when thinned with lacquer thinner but will dull quickly. I never trid using hardeners with lacquer. I worked at an independent body shop for a while in the 80s and we did quite a few all over paint jobs. Some people are tight and wanted-expected an Imron like paint job at an alkyd enamel price. We would use imron activator in the dulux dupont enamel and it would dry hard and resemble imron at a fraction of the price. Thats where I got the idea to try urethane activator with rustoleum. If the conditions are right and the correct temp urethane reducer is used it worked out good for me . After the paint had set, we hand rubbed it the next day to give it a rubbed out lacquer look.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #75
christian

rustolem out of spray cans. good enough for me (for now at least).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (10).jpg (97.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #76
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
rustolem out of spray cans. good enough for me (for now at least).
Wow! That looks good. How long did that take, I'll bet your arm really got tired of shaking those (how many?) cans.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #77
christian

4 cans satin green, 6 cans satin black. After 2 weeks in 70 degree weather I buffed it out with rubbing compound. As far as my arms they were fine, now my trigger finger on the other hand........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #78
AmRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
There was a time when the thought of this would have made me laugh but now with paint costing about $1000 for the average car, the equipment needed to apply it and the protective gear, maybe it's time has come. And I'm talking about the do it yourself person, if you opt to have the job done by a shop then the cost becomes even more. It appears after looking at a few YouTube clips that you can do a good job using a roller as long as you take the time to progressively sand each thin coat with finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper. The process is much more tedious than spraying but could really be great for anyone working on a budget restoring a car. Is it viable?
Perhaps this link can help you out...http://www.instructables.com/id/Hobb...ding/?ALLSTEPS

This guy is speaking from his own experience, it looks like... but I understand that all cars vary.

http://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainw...shop-curtains/

AmRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #79
Kaliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmRC View Post
Perhaps this link can help you out...http://www.instructables.com/id/Hobb...ding/?ALLSTEPS

This guy is speaking from his own experience, it looks like... but I understand that all cars vary.

http://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainw...shop-curtains/

It looks like everyone here is keen on car painting. Could you guys tell me if wash-down curtains work well? I mean, are they really good at protecting the surroundings from paint drops and are they worth installing? I’m considering this variant: https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/...-bay-curtains/, what do you think about it? Is it suitable for a garage (where I am actually going to paint my car)?
Kaliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #80
Model A Ron

If you can sand and buff yourself just do a base clear paint job. It can be done without a spray booth, it's not that hard, looks much better than a rattle can job, and has superior UV protection. Just my 2 cents

The quality of the job will be the quality of your prep and how well you can sand and buff. Base clear is much more forgiving than most think. You will not get a show car paint job but you should be able to get something decent. Also remember lighter colors are more forgiving than dark.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #81
Mister Moose

A few tips for home painting, mostly learned the hard way:

If you haven't painted much before, practice first. Paint your lawnmower or your wheelbarrow.

Tip and roll is entirely a useable technique for open flat surfaces, but there are several precautions:
Use a foam roller as mentioned and be careful with the amount of paint loaded on the roller and applied pressure, you do not want bubbles in the paint.
While you can tip with a foam brush, you will get far better results with a high quality badger hair brush.
Practice on a piece of scrap on paint day to get the paint/reducer ratio right.
You need to learn to paint fast enough so the tipped paint has a chance to flow and self level before it dries enough to no longer flow.
Always always keep the wet edge going.
Tip and Roll isn't going to work on small radius or obstructed surfaces, those will have to be brushed.

Try to avoid painting in buggy areas or buggy times of day. If a bug gets stuck in your paint, do not try to pick it off. Let the paint dry and only the bug legs will be in the paint, and that buffs out easy.

Wait long enough for the paint to harden before sanding and buffing, but not so long to where the paint is so hard it sands with difficulty. Especially true for hardened paints.

Choose a windless day.

Prep Prep, Prep.

Chemical respirators are cheaper than lungs.

For those that choose the cheapest paint and figure they'll repaint every few years, scratches and paint imperfections don't matter since it's never a final coat!
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #82
77Birdman

I didnt respond yesterday because I thought the person that revived this 7 yo thread was a troll. Maybe not. But since others have chimed in for those wanting to paint their own cars it is a doable thing. As far as 'rustoleum' I believe the detriments of that particular brand has long been discussed here. However IF one is really inclined to paint their car with a brush and roller I suppose thats quite possible. I paint cars with a really nice spray rig settup and my day job (Gen Contractor) has me painting with a brush and roller. I have painted exterior steel doors with a roller that most people would be hard pressed to find the difference between a spray job. With the right roller, and some flo trol in the paint, and the right touch you can get it as smooth as glass. Also if the paint is put on heavy enough it can be wet sanded and polished. I believe early Rolls Royce cars were hand painted this way.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #83
kawagumby

You can paint a car at home with acrylic enamel and it can come out very well if you take the time to prep the car (sanding, cleaning) mask properly, and practice spraying patterns on surfaces so you don't tend to get runs (you can sand out and buff out runs if necessary tho').

Here's a picture of a hood I just painted in my one-car garage. I used acrylic enamel with a clear coat finish. You can read up on how to cut down on dust (I cleaned the garage out first, then put a filter on the incoming air window with a fan blowing out the other window). A model A can be painted in sections making the job easier to handle. You can do the whole job for just a few hundred dollars, including the paint gun. The picture below is of my '41 project, I just painted the hood last week in that garage. I used a Chinese touch-up paint gun - cost about $60. $200 will cover the cost of paint, thinner, hardener and misc. for a single-color model A.

small paint.jpg
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #84
Oldbluoval

Have the CA air police not raided your garage?
Now that you’ve posted look out!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #85
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Have the CA air police not raided your garage?
Now that you’ve posted look out!

Hah! My neighbor just had his septic tank pumped...that threw 'em off the trail! Now, I need to drag the fake trees back around my garage to hide it again.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #86
ronn

birdman- how much flo trol to a quart of paint roughly?

10% 20% 30% etc.

thanks
Old 05-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #87
ed thibodeau

I do not remember what it cost but I painted my 31 tudor with grey truck paint from
Tractor Supply. Its a little darker than Ford 8N tractor gray. Its been on 18 years
now and has held up good and still looks good. It got a ding in one of the doors a
few years ago and I touched it up with some of the paint I had left over and you
can not see it. Yes I drive the car a lot and I live on a gravel road.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #88
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
I Also if the paint is put on heavy enough it can be wet sanded and polished. I believe early Rolls Royce cars were hand painted this way.

Prior to the genius of Charles Kettering and his lacquer spray paint (among his many achievements, such as inventing the automobile starter motor), I believe all cars were hand brushed multiple times with slow solvent-drying paints, just like the horse carriages were. It took days to dry with multiple coats, weeks overall. Yikes!
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #89
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
birdman- how much flo trol to a quart of paint roughly?
I'll jump in - it depends. But far less than 20-30%. I'd start with a few tablespoons per quart and brush it out on a piece of scrap, (you know, the clean flat piece of scrap you sourced exactly for this task). You're looking for the minimum added to self level out the brush strokes and extend the wet edge time without being too thin and giving you sags and runs. The wet edge time is a function of how fast but accurately you can work and the sun/temp/humidity factor. If you lose the wet edge, the brush strokes will not flow into the partially dried section and the brush will drag as you stroke across it. We generally achieve about 1-2 minutes max on leaving an unattended wet edge. You can always just extend the edge a few brush strokes with fresh paint and then return to the detailed time consuming edge or curvy shapes or limited access spots.

It is a huge benefit to have a helper to stir the paint, add thinner or additives, fix mistakes, move paint and drop cloths, in short do everything else for you other than hold the brush. I've team painted a lot, 2 of us with brushes which can work great if you have a skilled friend.

You need a plan when brushing, where to paint first, where to paint fast (wide open spaces) and how to keep it all flowing as a wet line as you go across the panel.

Paint out of the sun if at all possible, but with the very best lighting you can arrange. If you have to paint in the sun, go for mid morning or late afternoon, never mid day.

Learn to look down into the paint at a low angle and view the surface of the paint film as you lay it on.

Better paints will cover better, flow better, and withstand UV better. You don't have to go to the most expensive paint, but the cheapest paint will certainly lack in those 3 important qualities.

Adhesion is more about prep, cleanliness, and primer than quality of paint in my experience. (Staying away from incompatible solvent paints over old coats here)

Start on easy, flat, small panels to start. Leave the harder ones for later once you've developed some skill and familiarity with the paint. Leave the hood louvers for last. Paint a single fender first.

As I said in a previous post, if this is your first time, paint your kids wagon first.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #90
ronn

Thanks Moose. Painted houses for 20 yrs and very good with a brush, so am thinking very little flo trol. Going to hunter green the body of my old 29 rpu.

thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #91
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Thanks Moose. Painted houses for 20 yrs and very good with a brush, so am thinking very little flo trol. Going to hunter green the body of my old 29 rpu.

thanks for the info.
ronn, please note that Floetrol is for use with water-based latex paint and wouldn't be compatible with Rustoleum.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #92
Alaska Mike

Paint jobs are a lot like girlfriends and wives. If it's your's, I am sure you will think it is wonderful, and in polite conversation I will agree with you! But truth be told, it might not be that good....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #93
ronn

Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn

ronn, please note that Floetrol is for use with water-based latex paint and wouldn't be compatible with Rustoleum.

so now thoroughly confused as to why it would be brought up with the topic of Rustoleum?

only on the Barn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #94
77Birdman

I will clarify, I have NEVER painted a car with a brush and roller technique. I was trying to imply that IT COULD be done effectively. My experience with brush and roller is purely architectural. I used to do commercial work only on which one building may have 50 flat steel doors. My experience with that kind of painting was that indeed one can get a perfectly smooth surface with little effort that would rival a spray job. Yes mostly latex and when needed just a splash of additive. Would I want to paint a car this way, No, but I will say it can be done.

I have painted several cars at home with a decent gun settup with great success. I did spend a bit on the gun, probably $300. Its an Aiwata upper hobby level. Its perfect for all the more I use it which is not enough to justify twice as much for a pro settup. Its a world of difference between a good gun and a cheap HD special (which I use for primers and epoxy). I also have a nice regulator and dryer which cost as much as the gun. I have a good not great buffer, between that and the pads and compounds is another $200. The place I get my paint from is fairly inexpensive compared to 'name brand' stuff. The tools are the second biggest cost, so after the first job, the next few in line get cheaper.
Prep is first and the right tools are second, technique adds the third level for success.
I posted on another forum that its possible for someone to get a decent at home paint job for very little money. I got a lot of heat from a professional that was on there. I wasnt trying to take food off anybody's table and by no means pretend to know what Im doing, just stating my own experience for others.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #95
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Bobcat skid steer charcoal gray acrylic enamel,5 to 1 hardener.. shot it at home in improvised spray booth, paint was old stock at work. Like anything else, preparation is key. Actual spray technique is important as well, I did a light 'flash' coat,let it set for a few minutes then finished with a heavy coat.. I held a work light in one hand and the gun in the other to see what I was doing..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail - 2020-05-07T182240.917.jpg (73.8 KB, 16 views)
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote