Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
mike42

Default '57 F-100 Gas Gauge

Doe anyone know why the gas gauge would work in reverse ? It's a replacement gauge and I also had to replace the sender in tank. It works perfect, but when it shows full......it's empty. When it shoes empty it's full !!

Thx.....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: '57 F-100 Gas Gauge

The faceplate on the gauge was installed backwards? (sorry I couldn't help it)

I'm guessing the sender and gauge aren't the same brand, or from the same seller ???
If they are, ask them. If they aren't you may need to change either the sender or gauge to match the other.

Is there a chance the wiring connections on the gauge got accidentally reversed?
Double check it's installation instructions. Depending on the source / mfr of the gauge it may make a difference.
I won't suggest reversing the gauge connections 'Just to see what happens'... yes it could be worse. (then you would have to buy a new one)

Another stray thought... I've been told when Ford upgraded their dash gauge design for cars in '57 it reversed the way low / high elect flow affected the internal gauge parts. Ford may or may not have done the same change for trucks that year, maybe the year after. It might be possible you were accidentally sent parts for the wrong year. Or that particular supplier may only have generic replacements that don't take everything into account.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: attempting additional clarity
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
mike42

I had to replace the Sender in tank as it was bad. Bought from LMC.

As far as the gauge goes....this is NOT a stock unit. It was changed before I bought it. I've pulled out the cluster unit to see if I could reverse the wire, but the plug-in unit is designed in such a manner that you can't reverse it. It only plugs in one way.

Mike
Old 02-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: '57 F-100 Gas Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post

As far as the gauge goes....this is NOT a stock unit. It was changed before I bought it. I've pulled out the cluster unit to see if I could reverse the wire, but the plug-in unit is designed in such a manner that you can't reverse it. It only plugs in one way.

Mike
You need the correct gauge or a WIRING DIAGRAM to confirm proper wiring.

TEMP GAUGE work OK?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
I had to replace the Sender in tank as it was bad. Bought from LMC.

Mike
"the plug-in unit"
Is it just the fuel gauge, or the whole dash gauge cluster that was changed out?

If just the fuel gauge was changed....
The fuel gauge and tank sensor likely came from separate mfr's. You'd hope or assume they would work together but that can be a mistake. A gauge and sensor should be a matched pair to have a decent chance at working accurately.
Since you're dealing with a previously installed aftermarket gauge the odds aren't in your favor.
I'd call LMC and tell them which tank sensor you bought from them, and you need a gauge to match it.

OR.....
If the whole dash gauge cluster was changed out to an aftermarket assembly...
Look on it for a mfr or supplier name and contact them.
It's still possible that whoever did the conversion got wires for the fuel gauge reversed somewhere.
But depending on how the gauge assembly was made it may or may not make a difference, or swapping the wires might fry it.

Once the wiring is changed from stock, or a vehicle is given the semi-custom/custom treatment it isn't really possible for someone else (sight unseen) to tell how the work was done or effectively troubleshoot it.
If the mfr of the gauge cluster you have is no longer around you might learn to live with the fuel gauge quirk, or update/change everything to new parts (all from the same source/mfr).

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-07-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: a light bulb just went on
Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
mike42

All other gauges are working fine.

Yes the gauges and sender are from LMC and who knows on the gauges. It's not a NOS wiring harness. It's all been rewired by someone else, so who knows what was done.

I have a feeling I better just leave well enough alone. I understand it works backwards and I'm the only one driving it so it really does not matter.

Many thanks for help and comments. Appreciated !

Mike
Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... I understand it works backwards and I'm the only one driving it so it really does not matter.
Many thanks for help and comments. Appreciated !
Mike
It's an anti-theft security feature!

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
willowbilly3

So if you disconnect the wire at the sender, does it go to empty? Touch the wire to ground and it should peg full. Pull the sender and do an ohm test full and empty positions and tell us what you get. LMC sells a lot of junk. Dennis Carpenter is first for quality.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
50fordcoupeman

Yes on all of the above. I did not know the gauge must match the sending unit. Got my gauge at OReillys and they asked questions about the sending which I got from Shoebox Central. Works perfect.
Good luck!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
mike42

Guys I'll check into it. In the middle of snow storm now and can't even get to the bard right now.

Thx...Mike
Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
.... I did not know the gauge must match the sending unit. ...
It's kind of a crap shoot.
'55 was the last year of 6 volt positive ground electrical systems.
'56 was the first year of 12v negative ground, and sort of an experiment by Ford because...
In '57 they improved and updated their dash gauge electrical design again to a more standardized version.

"Replacement" style parts and parts designed for '57 and newer generally work together.
OEM style and NOS electrical parts before '57 are more of a challenge.

The odds of a gauge & sender working correctly together go up if you get them as a pair, from the same place at the same time. If not the seller can easily blame the 'other' part, and you're usually stuck with it. (if they even accept returns on elect parts)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-07-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Some sending units have the low resistance when the indicator reads full (full voltage to indicator). Others have high resistance when indicator reads full but the indicator will generally read full when you shut the electrical power off on those. It sounds like a mismatch on the rheostat function.

This link to Speedway lists common resistance values: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...ng-units/28745

I should also add that some indicator units have the internal works reversed in function from others. Most all of them use a heater coil on a bi-metallic strip to provide the movement of the indicator needle but the way it is attached to the needle can reverse the function.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-07-2018 at 07:52 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote