Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #41
700rpm

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Ryan,
Here's a partial-solution used by another forum I'm on: require actual names in the signature area.

That is why my name is there. I put my name on everything I say.

A name and phone number might be even better. People are less likely to slam others when they know they can be gotten to. Take your name or number off your signature, and your account is suspended.
I was just going to type a very similar suggestion. I have seen this work on other forums. (forae?... My Latin is a little weak). I was going to say no screen names, only real names, and require the location field to be filled in. But monitoring that might just increase the work load for Ryan, so that may not be practical.

I used to put my name, location, and club affiliation in my signature. I stopped doing that because it seemed to not matter to anyone. But like Newshirt, I don't mind identifying myself.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-25-2015 at 10:17 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #42
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Ryan,
Here's a partial-solution used by another forum I'm on: require actual names in the signature area.

That is why my name is there. I put my name on everything I say.

A name and phone number might be even better. People are less likely to slam others when they know they can be gotten to. Take your name or number off your signature, and your account is suspended.
I can't agree with this, having a name that is listed in the phone book or worse yet shown right here for all to see really opens the door for any nut job to call. Ryan's solution is the best; if you don't play by his rules you are gone.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #43
diomed

Thanks Ryan.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #44
Bulligen

Please do as you say and just rid the forum of the instigaters that you discover. I think most of us here just want to help each other and enjoy the nice site that you have provided. Here is to all the barners that want to have fun with our hobby and helping someone else solve their vehicle problem is part of the fun for me, and I really appreciate everyones help the other way around! Thank you Ryan!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #45
Henry's Lady's Man

I'm a relatively new barber, and I've read some barbed responses. I have a pretty thick skin for a guy in his 60's, and there's always room for funnin' , as long as it doesn't hammer someone into the ground, and YES, THERE ARE A FEW.

The GOLDEN BARN RULE should be to offer experienced advice in a friendly-enough manner. I've only had my A for a little more than a year, and my barn-brothers have taught me a lot. I have a ton of respect for the experience of many here. There is a tight-knit group of "Wizards of A's" and I seek their advice constantly. Now and then, though, there's a Joker in the deck that raises my eyebrow and blood pressure.

The Barn is top notch, guys (and gals)! Please don't give up on it because of a couple of "A" holes.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #46
Henry's Lady's Man

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"Barner", not "Barber"!!! Dang that spellcheck!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #47
Benson

I think name and phone number is a very bad idea.

Might as well give them your street address also!

1. I was involved in the late 70s with the BBS Bulletin Board System of computers (text only back then) ... there were some guys that posted names, phone and address.

At the time there were very few computers to choose from and they were not cheap!

Guess which folks got their computers stolen?

2. Same thing with the early cell phones. The "in thing" in 1987 was to have a cell phone antenna on the rear window of your car.

Guys at work asked "How come you have a hidden antenna for your cell phone? Don't you want everyone to know that you have a cell phone?"

Bingo ... you got it ... I do not want them to know.

Again which ones do you think got their cell phones stolen?

3. I do not want the criminals who are trolling the Forums to know where they might find my Model As, tools and parts ... why make it so easy for them?

Last edited by Benson; 08-26-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #48
CWPASADENA

I first started messing with Model A Fords 59 years ago. I am now 77 and finally retired this year. I just want to have fun with my cars and enjoy the hobby with others who appreciate the Model A Ford as I do. Thru the years I have a gained little knowledge and enjoy helping others. I will be the first to admit I do not know everything about these cars (or anything else for that matter) and have used "The Barn" to answer questions that I have.

Recently, I have become a little gun-shy about posting on The Barn. It seemed to be getting so if I posted an answer to a question, someone would post a different answer in such a manner that as much as said I did not know what I was talking about and acted like all they wanted to do is to get into some sort of a pissing contest.

I try to only post when I feel I am qualified to answer a question and I always indicate that this is "just my opinion". Certainly, there may be several different answers to a particular question that are all relevant but there is a way to post different opinions in a respectful manner without calling names or condemning another person.

As it has been said before, this is just a hobby folks, this is not life and death, this is supposed to be fun.

It is good to see new guys in the hobby. I think this forum is very helpful to someone who just purchased there first Model A Ford and needs help with his car. If it were not for the new younger enthusiasts getting into the hobby, our hobby will just die.

If some of us who have a little experience with these cars can help the newer owners, it will make it more enjoyable for everyone.

We need to focus on what this hobby is supposed to be all about and keep this forum fun and informative for everyone.

Good call Ryan. Keep up the good work.

(Again, this is JUST MY OPINION)

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #49
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I do not want some nut on The Barn calling me in the middle of the night wanting to argue about something I posted.

No names or phone numbers please.

My Opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 AM   #50
Allanw

Cool Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
...It seemed to be getting so if I posted an answer to a question, someone would post a different answer in such a manner that as much as said I did not know what I was talking about and acted like all they wanted to do is to get into some sort of a pissing contest.
Yep - seen that (in general terms - not your posts etc).

Sometimes people ARE knowledgable.

Sometimes they THINK they are, but are open to learning or suggestions.

Sometimes they KNOW they are, but are often mistaken and don't realise it .

The last ones are often the "difficult ones" - luckily there aren't too many.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 AM   #51
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
Wish vBulletin had a like button...
I've seen other vBulletin boards with that feature. I have also seen a "thanks" button, and when rating a thread a list of who voted and how they voted.

I'm just saying that this is what I have seen on other boards. Nothing else.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 AM   #52
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

We all have hard held beliefs. These come from a variety of sources; parents and mentors are two of the biggest. When these "truths" are questioned we often take it as a personal attack, an attack on ourselves and on our sources.

I believe this is where most of the problems come from, defending honor.

There are some that are just out there. There was one guy that no matter what I put down, I would get a PM and email on how I could not be more wrong, no matter what.

My point is there are going to be people that are going to post something that you don't agree with. Something that you know to be "fact". All you can do is just present your side and remember you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

You are also going to find posts that don't agree with what you have written. Same thing goes.

Have I always followed my own advice? Hell no, I have "read between the lines" incorrectly, but I do feel I have gotten better over time and there is always room for improvement.

There are extremely few forums that deal with restoration, fewer still on the Model A, and I for one would be disappointed if this one would disappear.

To those of you lurking in the background and are afraid to ask a question "in public", use the PM and or email feature. I receive several from time to time. It is important that we work together to keep our A's working and on the road.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #53
Franchise_24

Thumbs up Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Quote:

Might as well give them your street address also!

1. I was involved in the late 70s with the BBS Bulletin Board System of computers (text only back then) ... there were some guys that posted names, phone and address.
Do you still do any BBSing? I've run a telnet system for about 13 years now. PM me if you want any info about connecting. Hard to find anyone who used to BBS back then.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #54
Franchise_24

I thought you also had the option to "ignore" someone. There are a few on here I would like to do that to, but see no ignore option. Am I missing it?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #55
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:

3. I do not want the criminals who are trolling the Forums to know where they might find my Model As, tools and parts ... why make it so easy for them?

I agree 100% and may I ad, I don't want ex-wives, ex-lady friends or their husbands or boyfriends trolling the forums looking for me either!!!! I'll stay alias until I die....of old age, I hope!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #56
marty in Ohio

Well said Ryan!! Remember, guys, if Ryan has had enough he has the ability of pulling the plug on the whole site. Then where would we be? If you are banned (and you know who you are) then shame on you.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #57
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Do you still do any BBSing? I've run a telnet system for about 13 years now. PM me if you want any info about connecting. Hard to find anyone who used to BBS back then.
No BBS work anymore.

This was using the ARPANET connecting through U of W, Seattle, long before the Internet, using a homemade Z-80 CPU at first, 300 baud modems and modified voice cassette data storage.

Later TRS-80 Model II with 8 inch floppy disks using ATON CPM (Control Program for Microcomputers) Operating System.

The big deal was when I bought a Racal Vadic VA3451, 1200 baud modem.

Ward Christiansen's BBS software called "BYE" ... 128 byte data block CRC error correction.

Primitive stuff by today's standards.

Last edited by Benson; 08-26-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #58
Ray64

Amen Ryan
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #59
Dtolson

Ryan, I agree that the internet is destroying social skills and personal accountability. I have employees and customers that hide behind the safety of their email address and type very damaging, disrespectful comments about people they have never met and hope they never do face to face. This forum is very important to me as I continue to learn about my Model A. The knowledge shared on this forum is a very valuable tool for me and others as we all try to keep these amazing cars alive for us and future generations. If it's you job to keep it clean, I wish you great success and wise discernment going forward. Personally, I would appreciate a ban on foul language as I would like to share this forum with my grandchildren as they are coming of age to help work on the pickup. Thanks for all you do to keep this forum alive.

Last edited by Dtolson; 08-30-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: left out a word.
Dtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #60
Slotblog

I've run a hobby forum for almost 12 years where real names are required to be visible if members wish to post or use the PM system and it works well to keep the flaming and bad behavior to a minimum. People are a lot more circumspect if they know their real names are tied to their comments and online behavior.

Yet, there are still a few people who couldn't be civil and thus were sent away to cause their problems for others.

FWIW there's never been a single incident reported regarding any problems resulting from having real names visible. You're far more at risk from a data breach at some company with which you do business.

Last edited by Slotblog; 08-26-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote