Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #121
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I too encourage the kids to get in my truck for pictures, but what really gets me is when the grand parents don't believe I bought the truck brand new in 29 when I got out of high school, LOL.
Let's see Brian...that would make you about 101 years old

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #122
1wonton
BANNED

People who put "Please look, But don't touch" signs on their precious automobiles.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #123
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
People who honk their horns while I'm driving. I know it's a compliment but it spooks me. I always think I'm in somebody's way or perhaps a part fell off.

One phenomenon I have noticed that truly irks me is when a young driver is behind me and although I am keeping up with the traffic flow I look like I am slow. They dart past only to duck back into my lane in front of me and hit the brakes totally ignorant of the fact that it takes me a much longer distance to stop than it does them.
This happens a lot to me.
you can say that again. Horns are warning devices, they make me jump. Drives me nuts.

I like edumacating the curious tho', their questions don't bother me.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #124
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
When I have my 1919 T woodie at a car show and I run into some one with kids that have "obviously" been told not to touch and the kids are behaving I ask if they would like to sit in the car.

The kids and parents usually have big smiles - at least the Kids smile.
Sometimes the parents look a bit concerned!
But in the end they smile and say "Thank You"

I also explain that they can't touch all the cars and this is a special opportunity.
That is EXACTLY what I do! And when I had the Model A coupe I would give the parents a ride around the neighborhood and then put the kids in the rumble seat for the parade through town after the cruise-in. Now THEY had something to talk about!

I will NEVER be a grumpy old man. Old cars are for fun, not for posing and polishing.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #125
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly View Post
My pet peeve: "Original Miles"

One often hears people mention that their car has only xxxx original miles. I suspect that they mean "actual" miles. If not.....can someone explain to me the difference between "original" miles and "unoriginal" miles or "aftermarket" miles?
well the way i always interpreted this was lets say for a 1974 car it has 27,000 original miles. To me that says the cars engine and body and interior havent been apart or restored and thats how it was found. Meaning as the car left the factory its done XXXX ammount of miles. Yes its technically not correct but i feel the term original is partially said in slang. much like a used car dealer saying $2700 is twenty seven hundred dollars. sounds better haha.

Its incredibly easy to roll back a speedometer and alot of people did once they rebuilt or replaced the engine with new this it may show 27K but its 27K on the rebuilt engine while the body has 120K miles...So when one says original miles id take that as it only has 27K miles and thats all its ever had on all components of the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #126
Texas Tom

I know that the "How much is that car worth?" question is annoying. But it's that question (sort of) that brought me into this hobby 17 years ago. My boss had bought himself a Model A coupe and could NOT stop talking about it. Yak! Yak! Yak! This went on for several weeks. Because he was the boss, I had to listen politely to all his stories. Even when he told the same ones five times.

One day I said, "Sounds like fun." He replied, "Why don't you go buy one for yourself?" I said I could never afford such an expensive toy. He asked how much I thought a restored Model A would cost. I had no clue and said, "I don't know...I guess $50 to $75 thousand or so...." I really had no clue whatsoever. He replied, "This may surprise you, but it's hard to spend more than $12,000 on a restored Model A." (Keep in mind, this was in the middle 1990s.)

I was truly shocked by what he told me. That discussion happened on a Thursday. The following Sunday my wife and I purchased our first Model A, a 1929 Town Sedan. Since then we've become 100% antique car people. We've owned nearly 20 Model A's and Flathead Fords. I've completely restored four of them. Our garage now holds five toy cars, all but one from the 1930s. All our vacations are given to touring in antique Fords. We belong to several car clubs.

Point here is that by providing a thoughtful answer to the question (What's that car worth?), you just might bring a newcomer into the hobby. It happened to me.

Final point: If asked that question today, I'd respond this way: "It all depends on mechanical and cosmetic condition. But with that said, there are lots of decent driveable Model A's around that can be bought for $12-$20 thousand. So go buy yourself some fun. You'll never regret it."
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #127
CarlG

I would agree with Texas Tom "mostly". Answering "What is it worth", or What are they selling for today" is one thing, and can be answered very truthfull as Tom points out.

The part that comes into play that I don't particularily like is "How much did you pay for it?" Well, my friend bought his 29 Tudor about 20 years ago for, let's say $2,500. Then he spent the next 8 years restoring it, not really keeping track of how much he spent on it over that period of time. So telling someone he paid $2,500 for it doesn't tell the whole story. I could tell pretty much the same story on my 31 PU. What I paid for it 4 years ago doesn't even come close to what it's worth now.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #128
Tom Wesenberg

I also agree with Texas Tom. I never mind telling what I paid for something. Sometimes I get a real bargain and sometimes I find out I paid too much. It's all fun and I can't take it with me, so just try to enjoy what you can afford to buy. BTW, the other day I bought a nice older Delta/Rockwell jointer/planer with factory stand and motor and even a dust collector for $24. This was at a second hand store, and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. It even has a RED V belt.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #129
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
People who put "Please look, But don't touch" signs on their precious automobiles.
This reminds me of a sign I saw at a show that said " Don't even think about touching this car unless your naked". The owner was sitting in his lawn chair next to the car keeping an eye on it. I kicked off my shoes and had my belt undone and pants unbuttoned before he offered to let me sit in it clothed. I guess 275lbs of greasy naked white boy wasn't what he had in mind!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #130
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
This reminds me of a sign I saw at a show that said " Don't even think about touching this car unless your naked". The owner was sitting in his lawn chair next to the car keeping an eye on it. I kicked off my shoes and had my belt undone and pants unbuttoned before he offered to let me sit in it clothed. I guess 275lbs of greasy naked white boy wasn't what he had in mind!!!!!!!
hahaha i laughed out loud.

i saw a little sticker on a 60's studebaker that said: "To hell how they do it in california"
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #131
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I have an information sign that I put on my truck. At the end it says
"Go ahead and touch. Not much paint left to scratch" I see a lot of smiles when they read that last part and most reach out and give it a touch.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #132
BlueSunoco

I have to disagree with Texas Tom. Being a Midwesterner , I have been raised up to NEVER ask such questions or answer them. It is incredibly rude. It just isn't done. It shows immaturity of the person asking you that.

Classic case was Johnny Carson, if you ever read about the guy (born and raised in Nebraska) that was his biggest pet peeve. Example of what I mean.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #133
jimalabam

Purdy Swoft: On the two thousand offer, your answer: Ok which bumper, front or rears...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #134
Brother Hesekiel

I stole this from Jay Leno, but any question about value I usually finish of with the remark "two more payment's and it's mine!" accompanied by a smile. People always laugh at that.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #135
Tom Wesenberg

I guess I just don't get it with the price bothering people. You can go to any used car lot and see car prices, so why not know the price of an antique car that was purchased. Most times the price is just the starting point anyway since the car will usually need many repairs and corrections to make it right.

It's not like they are asking the price of a gift they recieved.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #136
30ccpickup

It depends on how it is asked. If they seem truly interested, I tell them. Otherwise, I inform them a Model A can be purchased for a pack of cigarettes a day for five years. ($5.00 a pack for 365 days =$9.125)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.

Last edited by 30ccpickup; 01-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #137
BlueSunoco

Tom, 1.- the used car lot has a car for sale the price needs to be known and 2.-I bet they never tell you what they paid for it
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #138
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
Purdy Swoft: On the two thousand offer, your answer: Ok which bumper, front or rears...
Thats a good one, Jim!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #139
QGolden

I agree with the Toms. I often hear "whadja' hafta' give for that? Here in northern New England, I know etiquette varies around the country, but we don't seem to get hung up on prices up hea'.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #140
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
I often hear "whadja' hafta' give for that?
& when i hear the answer i figure i will buy a model A instead, knowing it is the finest car i could ever dream to afford.

(Did i mention how i dislike car club types asking me to donate my car to their club so they can give the tyres to someone who "deserves" them & use it as a fund raiser? $1 a hit style.)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote