Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Noisey exhaust? Lost the post

The other day someone complained about the noise of the exhaust. I can't find the post now even though I checked through all 13 pages, and did a search for "exhaust" and "muffler".

Anyway that person said they thought they wouldn't want an Aries, thinking it would make more noise. I've only had a stainless Aries on my 28 Phaeton since I've been driving it and never noticed any noisey exhaust. After that post the other day I purposely paid attention to the exhaust today as I drove around. In a Phaeton with no side curtains I could pick up any objectionable exhaust noise quite easily. I didn't even hear any exhaust. The only noise I heard was the excess play of the valve train on my well used engine, and when I accelerated I could hear the air being sucked into the carb.

The only noise I ever noticed was a light backfire when I let off the gas comming to stop lights.

I'm thinking the person that posted about the noisey exhaust must either have a hole in the muffler, or a leaking joint at the exhaust manifold. The cheaper muffler would have more back pressure, so any leak at the manifold would probably be noisier than if he had an Aries muffler.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Richard in NC

Default Re: Noisey exhaust? Lost the post

I am running a cheap muffler on my 31 2 door and I thought the exhaust was too quiet. I drilled a 3/8" hole where the tailpipe turns up and then took a long sharpened rod and drove 5 or 6 holes in the baffles until I got the sound I wanted. Then I mig welded a small patch over the hole in the tailpipe. Sounds crazy but it works for me.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
HOTRODPRIMER

Is this the post that you looking for? HRP

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=Aries

or this?

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=Aries
Old 05-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC View Post
I am running a cheap muffler on my 31 2 door and I thought the exhaust was too quiet. I drilled a 3/8" hole where the tailpipe turns up and then took a long sharpened rod and drove 5 or 6 holes in the baffles until I got the sound I wanted. Then I mig welded a small patch over the hole in the tailpipe. Sounds crazy but it works for me.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote