Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Scrap Drives May Have Trashed Cars, But Were the Drives Necessary?

Normally, a government take over of a country's industry would have a terrible affect on the whole country but in the case of WWII it was necessary to partnership with industry that was just shy of a complete take over. They would only take over a company if the ownership refused to partner with the Fed. This was rare if it happened much at all. The people of the US rallied together in a way that they never had before. Most of the money to build new manufacturing facilities and restructure existing facilities was payed for by the Fed in the form of bond drives. Properties, both new and used, were sold to the Fed for cost and most of the development was done by industry itself since they knew a lot more about it then the Fed ever could. To show any form a profiteering would have gone badly for any company that was even accused of doing so.

This was a very unique part of American history that I for one, sincerely hope we never have to do again. It was the only way to get such a massive job done in such a short period of time. Production records were broken that will likely remain for at least a very long time. That depends on how large the population of the earth gets in the next couple of centuries.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
gridleak

As kid during the war I remember scrap drives. One remains in my mind in
Idaho. In a pile of stuff was a shiny Gatling gun. "I often wonder what they made out of it
gridleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
modela@aol.com

E470C9ED-4FF8-4C15-A85A-4CD3D45875E8.jpg

Remember taking a guided tour of the John Deere facilities in Moline, IL and was shown this deer statue made of copper. It was in the Deere family since 1900 and the story was that during WWII the family donated it to the war effort scrap drive. Some of the JD employees then hid the statue by walling it up until after the war and then gave it back to the family later. True or BS story from a tour guide, I donít know....
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #24
alexiskai

Turns out there was a multi-state "National Jalopy Campaign" specifically targeting old cars for scrap. It was run by the American Legion. Here's what appears to be a separate ad campaign run by a local organizing committee.

alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:24 AM   #25
alexiskai

Here's an article about the American Legion program from a Kansas newspaper around Thanksgiving, 1942.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela@aol.com View Post
Attachment 444265

Remember taking a guided tour of the John Deere facilities in Moline, IL and was shown this deer statue made of copper. It was in the Deere family since 1900 and the story was that during WWII the family donated it to the war effort scrap drive. Some of the JD employees then hid the statue by walling it up until after the war and then gave it back to the family later. True or BS story from a tour guide, I don’t know....
it's a true story, I retired from Deere and the older guys used to talk about that

Deere recruited from within the ranks and formed the John Deere Battalion during WWII. They were machinists and repairmen and went to the ETO to repair all sorts of weapons and vehicles that were drug back off of the battlefields. A guy that lived up the street from me was in that outfit and he told me the worst part was washing out the blood and body parts of Sherman tanks that had been shot up in battle, and fixing them back up to get them into service. It took a strong stomach he said. He also told me he felt sorry for the poor guys that had to ride that Sherman tank into battle against the German tanks. They were no match at all.

Back to Model A Fords.......... if they hadn't been such well built cars like they were many many more would have been scrapped but a lot of them were still running and being used. I'd say Chrysler and GM cars and trucks made up most of the scrap drives along with extremely worn out Model T's. When Model A came out, Model T was really pretty obsoleted. How would you like to have been the guy that finally caved in in 1927 and bought a new Model T Ford, than later saw the 1928 Ford Model A's and think wow I sure wish I would have waited another year Model A was a lot better car in my opinion than Model T ever was.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote