Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
CHuDWah
Senior Member
 
CHuDWah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kritter Krick, Flaw-duh
Posts: 938
Question Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

I've seen a few pictures of passenger and commercial 32 Fords that appear to be original and have bright (stainless? chrome?) radiator shells. Was that a Ford option? Or just aftermarket?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs
There are many, many members on this site that lack any significant formal education.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
DavidG
Senior Member
 
DavidG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,126
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

There's a yet-to-be-documented possibility that some German semi-custom '32 cabriolets originally may have had chrome-plated radiator shells. Beyond that possibility, any other examples are likely a post-production alteration as nothing that I've seen in either the Ford U.S. and Ford of Canada archives indicate the availability of that option.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
There's a yet-to-be-documented possibility that some German semi-custom '32 cabriolets originally may have had chrome-plated radiator shells. Beyond that possibility, any other examples are likely a post-production alteration as nothing that I've seen in either the Ford U.S. and Ford of Canada archives indicate the availability of that option.
An Example per DavidG's post!!! Recently sold at the "Den Hartoug" museum auction in Holland. AND the only one with the "Bright Grill Shell" I've ever seen or have "proof" of (IF that means anything).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932KellnerDH1.jpg (54.0 KB, 130 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
DavidG
Senior Member
 
DavidG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,126
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Per chance I encountered the car in Robert's photo on a residential street in Amsterdam back in the mid-1970s and needless to say, I stopped and had a good look at it. It had been recently restored and therefor whether its radiator shell was plated originally (in the opinion of the owner) or done so by owner's choice during the restoration is unknown as the owner was nowhere to be seen during my examination of the car.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
Mart
Senior Member
 
Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Solihull, England.
Posts: 6,785
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

I might be wrong, but some of the English model Bs made into 1934 had chromed grille shells. I think it was a model 14. It looks like a 32 but has skirted fenders and a chrome 32 style grille.
Edit: I googled images and can't see any, but I'm sure I've not made this up. It might have been a ploy to clear last remaining stock by prettying them up(???)

Here in the UK Jerry Denning built a pickup based on the front end of one of these fords, and it had the chrome grille shell.

Again, who knows. It could have been done by a previous owner.

My T-Bird had chrome headlamp trims. I believe these were not done by the factory. I have seen others though, may have done by certain dealers as easy to remove and replace. Just another example of common mods that were not factory.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
my4dv8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 920
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Kiwi 32 (although badged Fordson) and 34 fire engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885A062B-5765-4712-8B79-F50FABC64C76.jpg (64.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 210B039C-3F4E-4029-A879-AED8F86FD5DE.jpg (77.7 KB, 58 views)
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:19 PM   #7
motordr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Beamsville,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 378
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

In 2019 at the Ford V8 meet in Horten, Norway, there was a 1932 B400 with a Chrome rad shell. I apparently also came out of the Ford museum in the Netherlands.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #8
deuce lover
Senior Member
 
deuce lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern France
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

When living in France in 1991 I got lead on some '32 parts near Marseille. I the group of parts I bought was a chrome '32 pass car grill shell.It was complete with the grille bezel and grille. The grille had been chromed also and was peeling on the stainless edge so I felt that it (grille shell) was not chromed originally but more recent.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
Krylon32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,624
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Many years ago I had a nicely chromed deuce grille shell with mint insert. I actually traded it to a grille collector for a deuce winter front insert. What a deal.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
CHuDWah
Senior Member
 
CHuDWah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kritter Krick, Flaw-duh
Posts: 938
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Like I said, I've seen pix of a few but this is the one that triggered the question. It was posted on another forum and possibly is for sale. The owner said it was used by a fire department, then purchased by his family. I'm fairly knowledgeable about Model A, not so much 32. But the more I look at the pix, the more questions arise. Aside from the chrome(?) radiator shell, the headlights are replacement (Guide?), the horn isn't correct, and the bumper appears not to be painted. It also appears not to have a recess in the door like the AA to clear the side mount - is 32 supposed to? And on most, if not all, BB I've seen with a separate cab (i.e., not panel, etc) the running board ends at the back of the cab.

But the bed is the most confusing. It first appeared in a smaller version on the 31 Model A DeLuxe Pickup. It was up-sized for use on the AA Service Car, but I didn't know it was continued in 32. On the A, the sides of the bed overlap the cab to the rear edge of the door, the bed moldings line up with those on the door, and the bed fits the splash aprons and fenders better. On this one, the running board widens at the rear to cover the gap between it and the bed/frame. Also that block under the bed doesn't look right - I think a Ford installation would have been more "professional." I suppose it could be an aftermarket installation on a cab and chassis.

It's a cool truck but is it an authentic 32 body style? Comments?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs
There are many, many members on this site that lack any significant formal education.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
rockfla
Senior Member
 
rockfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Cool looking truck.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 6,787
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

I have had a few vintage fire engines, and the guys in the departments usually did a lot to "gussy up" their trucks. The bottom line (for me anyway) is that anything unusual cannot be documented by the fact that it is on a fire engine. After all, these were the guys that slathered them with gold leaf.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
DavidG
Senior Member
 
DavidG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,126
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

CHuDWaH,


The '32 body parts catalogue lists six carryover Model A truck bodies adapted to the BB chassis, but none of them come close to the body in your photos, but if there were only a couple of them leftover, they likely would not rate listing the catalogue. The '32 chassis parts catalog lists both the dual wheel rear fenders and long running boards to be used with dual wheel rear fenders, so those might be rarely encountered, but they existed as Ford components.

I enlarged the photo and see only the side mount's shadow on the door and no clearance indentation, as you also observed, unlike the Model AA in your third photo. Further, there is no door listed for use with side mounted spares listed in the body parts catalog.

A chrome-plated bumper was available and it was standard equipment on the BB deluxe panel delivery and both versions of the buses, hence it was an on-the-shelf-item that could be added to any BB post production.

Your last sentence in your penultimate paragraph is likely on target as to its origins as fire departments typically 'tart' up their vehicles with bling.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #14
lfson
Member
 
lfson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 39
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

On a vacation photo from Spain someone showed me a 32 with a somewhat rust pitted chrome grill shell. Most likely no 32s left any Ford plant with those ugly grill shells. If someone can prove the opposite I will stop saying they are ugly on a 32 and change to strange looking. Paint them!
lfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
CHuDWah
Senior Member
 
CHuDWah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kritter Krick, Flaw-duh
Posts: 938
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
CHuDWaH,


The '32 body parts catalogue lists six carryover Model A truck bodies adapted to the BB chassis, but none of them come close to the body in your photos, but if there were only a couple of them leftover, they likely would not rate listing the catalogue. The '32 chassis parts catalog lists both the dual wheel rear fenders and long running boards to be used with dual wheel rear fenders, so those might be rarely encountered, but they existed as Ford components.

I enlarged the photo and see only the side mount's shadow on the door and no clearance indentation, as you also observed, unlike the Model AA in your third photo. Further, there is no door listed for use with side mounted spares listed in the body parts catalog.

A chrome-plated bumper was available and it was standard equipment on the BB deluxe panel delivery and both versions of the buses, hence it was an on-the-shelf-item that could be added to any BB post production.

Your last sentence in your penultimate paragraph is likely on target as to its origins as fire departments typically 'tart' up their vehicles with bling.

Yeah, some DeLuxe AA had chrome bumpers and stainless radiator shell, headlights and taillights but the Service Car didn't. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I figured if anyone knew, you would - and no offense but it seems this truck is still a bit of a mystery. You're right that fire departments like bling and that probably explains a lot in this case.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs
There are many, many members on this site that lack any significant formal education.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Newc
Senior Member
 
Newc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,301
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Popular post; Yrs a go we dug a rotted '32 4dr out of the brush and it had the remains of an early chrome shell on it. Sold the shell here to Great Britain. The Ford photos of '32's with the clear hoods in showrooms- were there any chrome shells??? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
Deuce-Addict
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 199
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Popular post; Yrs a go we dug a rotted '32 4dr out of the brush and it had the remains of an early chrome shell on it. Sold the shell here to Great Britain. The Ford photos of '32's with the clear hoods in showrooms- were there any chrome shells??? Newc
Newc - pics of your old one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill Newc.jpg (29.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Grill Newc 2.jpg (28.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Grill Newc 3.jpg (77.4 KB, 18 views)
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Deuce-Addict
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 199
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I might be wrong, but some of the English model Bs made into 1934 had chromed grille shells. I think it was a model 14. It looks like a 32 but has skirted fenders and a chrome 32 style grille.
Edit: I googled images and can't see any, but I'm sure I've not made this up. It might have been a ploy to clear last remaining stock by prettying them up(???)

Here in the UK Jerry Denning built a pickup based on the front end of one of these fords, and it had the chrome grille shell.

Again, who knows. It could have been done by a previous owner.

My T-Bird had chrome headlamp trims. I believe these were not done by the factory. I have seen others though, may have done by certain dealers as easy to remove and replace. Just another example of common mods that were not factory.

Mart.

Mart - I was always of the understanding that some of the last Model 14s had their grill (or grille in the UK!) shell chromed to try and sell off old stock before the new model came in. This said, like you have found no proof so could just be a myth. I do have this shell though that for certain has very old chrome and was from a British Model 14...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill Chrome.jpg (113.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Grill Chrome 2.jpg (38.6 KB, 12 views)
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #19
jimTN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powell, TN
Posts: 2,080
Default Re: Bright 32 Radiator Shell?

I believe the body on that firetruck is a left over Ford GE body for a AA. They had that chrome tubing on top of the sides. At least it sure looks like one.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.